Houzz Logo Print
bethany_armstrong79

80s Fireplace

Bethany Armstrong
vor 7 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 7 Jahren

Hi! We move into our house in a few weeks- it needs lots of work so we're trying to save where we can! The fire is on a flat wall otherwise we'd of put a stove in- any ideas on what I could salvage/ replace to make this look better?

Kommentare (7)

• PRO
    inspirational fires & fireplaces
    vor 7 Jahren
    What it looks like you have there is a gas fire called a valor ultimate slimline which is designed to go into what we would call a precast flue, which basically is a slim flue system, wood burners would require class 1 flue systems like your traditional brick built chimney with a chimney stack, if you look on your roof you may have a raised ridge tile this would confirm wether or not it is precast flue as shown in the picture. If this is the case the only way you could have a woodburning stove is to run a external flue up the side of the house if it is a semi or detached property and you could house the stove in a false chimney as suggested but this can be quite a costly affair with all the flue components required. Otherwise you will require a gas fire which is suitable for a precast flue, if you require any further advice please don't hesitate to ask.
    Bethany Armstrong hat inspirational fires & fireplaces gedankt
  • Norren Bird
    vor 7 Jahren

I think the most cost-effective solution would be to leave the actual fire as it is but remove the surrounding mantle. I don't know your taste, but you can pick up 60x30 and 60x60cm slate tiles relatively inexpensively to make a new hearth. If you do want a mantle, a simple floating shelf would look good, otherwise leave as is. Good luck! X

• PRO
    Orion Heating - Woodburning Stoves
    vor 7 Jahren

If you want to update the fire for a modern remote controlled model with a nice modern front, take a look at the Gazco Logic range here. http://www.stovax.com/gazco-inset-gas-fires/logic-inset-gas-fires/

Personally I would take that nasty 80s mantle off the wall, stick in a modern efficnet gas fire and something like a Designeo2 front, shown here. Then a simple shelf above it on the wall for your cards and photos. Much more in fitting with the age of the house. Essex, Herts or North London, let me know if we can help.
    David
    OrionHeating.co.uk
    Takekely, Essex
    01279 813591

• sherosa
    vor 6 Jahren

Get rid of it and use the space in a better way. It looks as though the room is small so rearrange the furniture and use the centre as the focal point. TV's can be wall hung and swivelled to view. Fires take up too much space and are hardly used with central heating.

• patoliver9
    vor 6 Jahren

Moving into a new house is a major event and takes all your energy. The fireplace, as it is, is not that bad. I suggest that you live with it for a few months and get used to the room and how you use it before making changes.

What does stand out is the TV right next to the surround of the fireplace. They are of a similar size and the TV draws all the attention. Can you move the TV to the other end of the room away from the fire?

• margretg2
    vor 6 Jahren

Balanced flu gas fires don't need a chimney, just an outside wall on which the installers insert a vent for intake/outtake of air. If you want something that will give your room a wow factor, you could try this one from Dru Fires, which looks as though it's suspended but is simply bolted to the wall. with the vent immediately behind the firebox.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.