Houzz Logo Print
adrian_brown65

decking oil choice

Adrian Brown
vor 6 Jahren
love the shade of this deck, just wondered if you know what this balau wood was oiled with as we're looking to achieve the same shade and not so dark. thanks
Barnes roof terrace · Mehr Info

Kommentare (5)

• PRO
    Paul Newman Landscapes
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Adrian, this deck was not oiled at the time I took the photo. Hardwood tends to take on a rich, deeper colour once exposed to sunlight for a couple of weeks. New freshly laid decks should not be oiled for at least six months so they can acclimatise properly. Once weathered they can be cleaned properly and will be able to accept oil which will penetrate deep into the pores. Fresh, newly laid decks cannot do this due to millglaze present on the surface. This happens when freshly machined planks are put through a planer which slams shut the wood pores trapping natural resin and tannins inside and gives a slightly shiny look to the boards. These need to open up naturally to allow any oil to sink in properly.

Hope this helps.

paul.

• Adrian Brown
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks for the detailed advice Paul, really appreciate it. I haven't heard that before actually, so ideally I'd lay all the planks and leave them alone till the end of UK summer I guess and oil before winter? Know this is shorter than 6 months but feel like I should oil it before the winter sets in... or maybe that's a waste and should wait till spring next year?
  • PRO
    Paul Newman Landscapes
    vor 6 Jahren

Yes, as long as they have settled for a few months so the wood pores can open up so it can then take in the oil. They need to be bone dry for this and use plenty of oil. It will sink deep into the wood pores. You should saturate the timber until it cant except any more oil. If it looks dry after coating then you need to apply more oil. Leave it on there to soak in then remove any excess with a lint free cloth. It should leave a silky satin finish to the timber. We use Owatrol D1 saturating oil for most of our hardwood decks.

• Adrian Brown
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Do you apply a top coat on that or just the saturating oil? Looks actually quite reasonably priced...
  • jenniimatthews
    vor 6 Jahren
    No no no to quadrant.....
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.