Houzz Logo Print
ecoessays

Anyone dare to paint BOTH trim and walls -- the SAME color??

P J
vor 6 Jahren

If so, what is the color and are you glad about that decision? Are there any advantages to doing this? (The trim and walls may be different sheens, of course; but that may affect how you perceive the color, too.) What kind of furnishings do you have -- mostly neutrals, splashes of color, or a great mix?

Kommentare (49)

• PRO
    Rustic-Charm.ca
    vor 6 Jahren

Designers have been showing this, I think either one or two House and Home issues back

P J hat Rustic-Charm.ca gedankt
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    vor 6 Jahren

I recently did this as ceiling not that high and visually did not want your eye to go to molding on floor. Makes the wall look cleaner and longer. Painted wall and molding same sheen. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. I did a black accent wall with modern art with a traditional four poster mahogany bed. White lamps for contrast. Other walls white and same look but did the molding in semi gloss. Eclectic modern feel. Hope this helps.

P J hat Jodie White Designs gedankt
  • simstress
    vor 6 Jahren
    I am doing the playroom in Alabaster in different sheens. The plan is to do some colorful toys and furnishings that will pop against the white walls. No pictures yet though!
  • Kathy Yata
    vor 6 Jahren

I have been painting out the floor trim for decades and lately been painting out door and doors as well. My house has minimal mouldings that aren't worthy of accenting with a different color. I do use semi gloss or satin with flat paint on the walls and the sheen does make the trim stand out anyway.

Back when house was 1980s country doors and trim were painted off white with whatever wall color but floor trim painted out. Now doors and trim are wall color and house is 1960s Danish Modern. Love it, very clean look that keeps the tiny house from seeming cluttered.

Using the same color on all surfaces is probably an easier way to go. One sees a lot of rooms with awkward moulding treatments on design dilemmas. Sometimes it's like my house and there's minimal trim, sometimes it's awkward color choices and poor room design both on the actual room shape and the way it's furnished. I like to sketch out the room on Paint and color it in various ways to see what's what.

P J hat Kathy Yata gedankt
  • acm
    vor 6 Jahren

I like trim and walls the same color (eggshell and flat, respectively) in many different colors -- have done it in off-white living rooms, gray bedrooms, pale green bedrooms, various shades of kitchen... I think it looks nice in a more modern space, where the trim isn't setting the tone like it does in a traditional or historic home. My contractors were originally very eye-rolly about this request, but now I think they like it enough that they suggest it for other properties they work on! :)

Red Brick Rehab outtakes · Mehr Info

Red Brick Rehab outtakes · Mehr Info

Brag pics · Mehr Info

For contrast, here's the single house where I did some white trim, because I had built a window seat and thus decided that the bedrooms would go that direction.

(I still did matching trim in all the main living spaces downstairs.)

Also note: all same-colored ceilings in the rooms with same-colored trim! :))

P J hat acm gedankt
  • User
    vor 6 Jahren

i live in an area with lots of houses from the 1700s and even 1600s, and they often have lots of moldings and trims and even paneled walls that are all painted the same color. ill see if i can find a pic.

P J hat User gedankt
  • User
    vor 6 Jahren

P J hat User gedankt
  • P J
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Thank you all, for the various comments so far, interesting. Ours will be a modest-size modern-design home but with three floors and 9-foot ceilings -- so given the modern feel and otherwise compact size, an all-one-color (off-white perhaps): 1) may fit accordingly and feel larger, OR 2) may mean the house will miss out being more warm and miss some depth which two colors might given to walls and trim. A consideration is trim: we won't have ceiling molding and window trim will be minimal so perhaps all-one-color is the way to go compared to a more traditional or colonial home, for instance. Maybe BM's Edgecomb Gray for everything, even ceilings(?)!

• greenwoodframed
    vor 6 Jahren

We did all of the trim in our powder room the same color as the walls and ceiling. We have a pretty strong statement wallpaper wall and a somewhat "bright" floor as well. When we have guests, I usually get a small bouquet of purple/green flowers for the sink and it really brightens up the space! Our GC originally assumed we would have the same white trim in as in our livingroom but I don't think that would have been a great look. I've seen other larger rooms with the same look, but always with dark colors/trim.

• mamaborne
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

I would only do it if using shades of white. We recently purchased a home where they had done almost the entire house with matching wall/trim paint. It looked really dated and strangely off. We repainted the whole house and did trim in Acadia White (great white, by the way.) The only place we did same trim/wall color (again, Acadia) was in the bathrooms because we have an old 1930s house and each bathroom had beautiful colored tile, so I had to go very neutral in the baths. Used semigloss finish on trim, it looks great. But I don't recommend doing same wall/trim color in large rooms.

P J hat mamaborne gedankt
  • holmberg2
    vor 6 Jahren
    My mother had our home, built in 1914, painted with walls, ceiling, and trim the same off white. She also had mouldings removed. It was the late sixties and she wanted a more modern look. I like it and would consider it for my home.

The rooms in the 1914 house I am working on have the walls, ceilings and DOOR KNOBS painted a cream color! do not go that far! ha
    P J hat holmberg2 gedankt
  • holmberg2
    vor 6 Jahren
    I should say that bedrooms, bathrooms and basement rooms are like that in this current home. dining, kitchen and living room have original woodwork. ( added because I will be asking for advice in the future)
    P J hat holmberg2 gedankt
  • Snaggy
    vor 6 Jahren

Always done it ..can't be arsed to mask it and do a different colour !

P J hat Snaggy gedankt
  • printesa
    vor 6 Jahren

I think it depends on the style of the house as well. If it's more modern, then I guess the colors will be more towards white and gray?

In this project, it looks like the owners matched the wall with the baseboards

Upper hallway · Mehr Info

Here also

P J hat printesa gedankt
  • T Dennis
    vor 6 Jahren

Has anyone painted out trim & baseboard (same colour as wall) in an older house with crown mouldings? higher baseboards? I love the modern house all 1 colour, but not sure how it would look with larger trim and baseboard. Hoping that it will make the house look larger & ceilings higher

P J hat T Dennis gedankt
  • printesa
    vor 6 Jahren

There are photos that show older houses with rooms painted the same color everywhere

Captain Faifield Inn - Lounge · Mehr Info

Traditional Living Room · Mehr Info

Glimpses... · Mehr Info

P J hat printesa gedankt
  • T Dennis
    vor 6 Jahren

Looks beautiful Diane R & thanks for the colour - the baseboard was a different sheen from the walls? Our 1940s house has crown mouldings & the baseboards are not as modern as yours - wish they were - hoping to have a similar look to yours though.

P J hat T Dennis gedankt
  • T Dennis
    vor 6 Jahren

thanks printesa for the pictures. hoping for a more modern look though which i wonder if it is possible with older trim etc. Our house is not as old as those pictured - not as much trim but not as simple as Diane R's - which I love

P J hat T Dennis gedankt
  • T Dennis
    vor 6 Jahren

Diane R, did you find painting the trim & walls the same color make the ceiling appear higher?

P J hat T Dennis gedankt
  • printesa
    vor 6 Jahren

You could do a white color, using a flat finish for the wall and a semigloss one for the trim

P J hat printesa gedankt
  • PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren

Here is a one all one sheen

Glace Finish · Mehr Info
    All are a very high gloss
    Glace Finish · Mehr Info

P J hat User gedankt
  • Diane
    vor 6 Jahren
    Tina, yes the space feels more open. It could also be the larger baseboards and no crown moldings.

I should have proof read my previous post better; football and uses, wow
    P J hat Diane gedankt
  • marihoula
    vor 5 Jahren
    I have the same concern! We are building a sprawling mid century Prairie style home. It is a karg home with 9' ceilings in most areas, 12' throughout great room and kitchen. My husband and I are debating: do we match trim and walks or nor? what is more modern but not cold?
    P J hat marihoula gedankt
  • jillybean103
    vor 5 Jahren

Great post!

P J hat jillybean103 gedankt
  • Donna Rickard
    vor 5 Jahren

Yes we are building and we have picked out the amazing gray S. Williams color ... I want to do the walls, casing, baseboard, window trim and doors same color ... we have 8' ceilings and a tray in Great Room 9' ... The bedrooms will have different colors on walls but all trimming and doors will be the Amazing Gray.. We have picked Nature Reserve weather oak tundra (3 shades Dark floor) for flooring for living areas, bedrooms.. I figured this would help the main living area seem more open with the same colors walls and trim...Nerve wrecking picking out all this stuff

P J hat Donna Rickard gedankt
  • P J
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    Thanks, everyone, for your interesting comments. We ended up painting everything (ceiling, walls, woodwork) with BM Dove Wing, a neutral off-white. It's a soft white with a hint of gray and maybe yellow. We love it, versatile.
  • Donna Rickard
    vor 5 Jahren

P J do you have any pictures?

P J hat Donna Rickard gedankt
  • John Cardani-Trollinger
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

We turned a den into a home office and painted the ceiling, trim, and cabinets all the same color (different finishes). Note that these are early pictures..there are now plantation shutters in the same color and a new floor outlet to hide that horrible cord. This was the first interior room renovation.

P J hat John Cardani-Trollinger gedankt
  • PRO
    JCB Painting
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

About 15 years ago I painted a newly constructed home, 5 1/2 baths, 2 staircases to the second level. Big house. The homeowner wanted all except ceilings and banisters to be painted a white semi gloss. Easy job. I used Benjamin Moore Regal Aqua- Glo 01. Top of the line semi gloss at the time imho. The look was stunning when you walked in the front door. After they moved in and decorated it was absolutely beautiful. Jcb Painting

P J hat JCB Painting gedankt
  • P J
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi Donna -- As this photo attests we finally painted *everything* (walls, ceiling, woodwork, doors; but not floors ;-)) with Dove Wing (Benjamin Moore), a soft off-white we love. This plain canvas allows for changing colorful accents in furnishings -- pillows, art, furniture -- for we love color as well.

• Cindy Breitwieser
    vor 5 Jahren
    Donna, did you end up going with Amazing Gray? I’m looking at doing the same color as well on trim, walls and ceiling and would love to see pictures!
  • Michelle Ptak
    vor 4 Jahren

Yes... and it’s dramatic and beautiful!

• P J
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Loved all your responses and pics.... We ended up with everything (walls, woodwork, ceiling) simply all Ben Moore's Dove Wing (the color right next to White Dove on their chart). My seasoned builder/architect adores it for it's soft clean bright feel that is not harsh. Years ago I had a livingroom-kitchen area painted with Chantilly Lace. Came off as too stark, clinical.

• printesa
    vor 3 Jahren

It looks beautiful!

• geegess
    vor 3 Jahren

We painted all walls, trim (baseboards and crown), doors, and cabinetry the same color in our 2200 sq foot condo and LOVE it. Used SW Anew Grey in eggshell for walls, semi gloss for all the rest. It gives a very clean, transitional feel to the room and lets all interiors flow seamlessly. Plus, it was easy to design around the same color everywhere. The ceilings are a flat off white (have forgotten the color offhand). I like the lack of 'pop' that contrasting trim provides. I even paint my ceiling fans the same color as my ceilings as well as the can light trim pieces! My goal is for walls to be a backdrop to my furnishings, not the main event! By the way, Anew Grey is a great greige color - not too grey, not too beige!

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    vor 3 Jahren

Definitely! We love Benjamin Moore White Dove for this application

• Prem Shankar nadar
    vor 3 Jahren

Hi guys I did Baer’s linen white satin finish in the trim, baseboard, bottom moldings as well as walls . Cottage white in the ceiling and crown moldings. It did open up the space and I was thinking to use colors as background and all my furniture will be accent. I will see how it goes I ll post pics after I get done furnitures

• Sulan Dun
    vor 3 Jahren

See this video which advocates doing just that in order to make small spaces look larger. https://youtu.be/-CuBpoUhRuM

• PRO
    User
    vor 3 Jahren

Paint on the walls will look lighter than the ceiling.

• jillybean103
    vor 3 Jahren

I would paint the walls one or two shades different - semi gloss on trim and eggshell on walls.

• Houzz-Nutzer 96380984
    vor 3 Jahren

I have a 1934 cottage style house with a small front room (I hesitate to call it a living room because to me, it’s not). Ceiling is only 7 1/2 foot & it has baseboards & crown molding. Baseboards & crown molding were a flat white with walls a sandy beige color in satin....I didn’t do this! Lol. I hated it, the room looked so small.

I recently painted it Valspar Ultra’s moonshine gray (cool light gray color)...baseboards, crown molding & walls all the same color. The room looks larger & ceiling looks higher....I love it & wish I’d done it long ago!

• Chris Impara
    vor 3 Jahren

PJ, did you end up using a different sheen on walls/trim/ceiling or did you use the same sheen? Thanks!

• Isha DT
    vor 2 Jahren

I have three doors next to each other (within 1feet or 12 inches) in my formal area after entering the house. But looking here for the ideas to paint the wall,doors, possible trim in the same color to avoid looking at too many doors. Are there any suggestions on doing it and color palate to choose from.

• kculbers
    vor 2 Jahren

I painted my entire house with antique white: matte on walls, satin on all moldings and doors. I have lots of oak and cherry wood stained furniture and colorful flower paintings throughout my home and the antique white walls look best and add lightness throughout my home❣️Last year I had a new oak staircase and bannister installed and the white walls showcase them.

• Sue Sheely
    vor 2 Jahren

Sherwin Williams Natural Linen. Basement walls and ceiling. Gorgeous!!!!!

• P J
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Nice. We ended up painting everything in one color: Ben Moore's "Dove Wing" and love its softness. No regrets. -PJ

• LynSee Mahan
    letztes Jahr

Thank you for this post! I am painting all walls, trim and cabinets in living area and kitchen. I’m debating between white dove and sw alabaster. This helped so much!

• Cindy Breitwieser
    letztes Jahr

LynSee if you haven’t already, grab both colors in oversized paint swatches to see how the color reflects in each of the spaces. Also be sure to use different sheens to create dimension.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.