Houzz Logo Print
cgbryant

I don't know WHAT to do with this room! I can change the lamps and tables but to what? Should I change the rug

cgbryant
vor 10 Jahren
I think the pictures tell the story. I have tried to arrange this room every different way. Please help!

Kommentare (61)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    vor 10 Jahren
    You need art work on wall behind sofa on left buy two tall in black frames travel type posters with color. Place large palm next to end table on right. Add silk palm in corner on left. Plants add interest and fill wall space.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    vor 10 Jahren
    Remove flower print chair, doesn't work. I see you have red rug in Dining put that in living room to see size or just keep it there.
  • elcieg
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    What would happen if you switched the rooms? You could paint the table your woodwork color and the chairs one of the darker colors in the upholstered chair. Only put in the dining room the furniture that truly fits. Begin with one leather piece and the upholstered chair. Now look for a rug and pillows to complement your white, gray and ?? color.

MAT Orange Catena Union Square Gray Area Rug · Mehr Info

Contemporary Double Gourd Slate Grey Ceramic Table Lamp Base · Mehr Info

Aleta Embroidered Pillow Cover · Mehr Info
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Ok! I put the love seat upstairs and then went looking for a new rug. There is a Norrison French Country rug at Home Depot in chocolate. What do you think? Too much brown? ( I couldn't post the picture) Also my walls are more of a beige. It just looks grey in the pics.
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    Those would tie in the red from your DR rug, and give you some additional colors to work with. Some fabrics you might consider for pillows and/or draperies:
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    vor 10 Jahren
    I really looks much roomier with out the loveseat. WOW
    vor 10 Jahren
    Could you bring the colors of the dining rug in to the living room for lamps , pillows Table top decor. etc. You might be able to keep the living room rug. What colors are in the dinning room rug ? A pic of that rug would help here too.
  • lc29
    vor 10 Jahren
    You definitely need some color, right now brown or a variation of brown is your color story. Switching lamps to ceramic based lamps in a color and adding pillows in a matching color print would give your room some interest.
    vor 10 Jahren
    I feel the room needs texture and color the most.
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    You all have some great ideas. I love the rugs and fabrics. Nancy, I can't find the first rug you showed. Can you tell me the manufacturer?
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    It's from Artistic Weavers, pattern is Amanda, color is Rust. You can find it on homedepot.com
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    Price for 8 X 10 is about $500.
  • smdrovetto
    vor 10 Jahren
    I agree with previous comments that it looks like you have too much furniture, you need a different rug to "anchor" the room, and new coffee table, end tables, and lamps.

One thing most of us struggle with is scale, especially in rooms with high ceilings. I KNOW it and I STILL buy things that are too small! If there is a range of sizes in glass vases, I'll look at the largest one and think, "Oh, that's just too big", and when I bring my purchase home, it is usually too small.

Also, a very common practice is to have the furniture hug the circumfrence of a room. Bring the furniture in a few feet. But I think getting simpler, oversized coffee table, etc.and lamps that are twice the size of your current, (maybe consider a floor lamp or 2) would really change the feel of the room, and give space to put some accessories that make a statement.

I like the pattern in the above rugs, and since your funiture is leather, you could use some pattern.

I disagree with the color, though. You have all warm colors in the room. If you got a rug with some muted blues, greens, and a hint of warm colors, and other accessories, it would really make the warm colors "pop". All those warm tones against your furniture, and on those beautifull hardwood floors, would run together, and not be as exciting to the eye, or give the space definition.

I see you have all the beautiful trim and stairways! The last thing I might suggest, is possibly darkening the stone on the fireplace a bit. (get lots of advice befre you do it yourself!) It is a gorgeous fireplace, but maybe some stone colors to soften it a bit to blend with your furniture would be pretty. It would still be a beautiful focal point! Very beautiful room/home, with endless possibilities!!
    vor 10 Jahren
    I don't mind the colors you have already or the rug but you do need a rich accent color to play off the neutrals &
    browns. Aqua or Turquoise, coral, red, it depends on what colors are in your dining room rug etc. They need to flow.
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think the print chair could be pulled in closer on the rug a bit. It's hard to tell the color of the chair on my lap top.
    vor 10 Jahren
    The accent color doesn't have to be in the room already just added and repeated enough to create a color
    scheme. Aqua's, Corals go nice with rusty and brown tones. And would give it a updated look, With the TV in the room I like the leather brown furniture. And the rug in the living room doesn't compete with the dining room rug. So throws, pillows, lamps, wall decor and accessories would be a way to work in your accent colors.
  • PRO
    GABRIELLE DEL CID LUXURY INTERIORS
    vor 10 Jahren
    HI everyone! Since there is too much brown, it needs a spark of color, maybe red or turquoise... Pop out color! Play with them...
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    I just pulled in the rug from the dining room since it had the colors I like. Now for the amps and then the tables...do you all think a red or yellow based lamp? I attached a close up of the rug.
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    Yellow, for sure. I used to have that rug!
  • decoenthusiaste
    vor 10 Jahren
    Now you're getting somewhere. Two yellow lamps but also consider metal. I hear brass is making a come back and you need a bit of bling! Now pull the sofa away from the wall and put its front feet on the rug. Put the coffee table 18" from the sofa so it can be useful. Move the former TV credenza to the wall between the windows where the leather chair is. The leather chair also needs its feet on the rug, but angle it on the opposite corner from the print chair in front of the window. Let the TV credenza serve as its side table. I'd get a round table to place between the sofa and print chair.
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Unfortunately I can't move the table because it has all the tv equipment in it. I love the idea of a round table and yellow lamps. I went to Khols, World Market and Pier 1 looking for a TALL ceramic based lamp but cannot find any. Also, are all end tables the standard 22 inches? I thought maybe I could also get some height that way.
  • decoenthusiaste
    vor 10 Jahren
    Table and lamp together should total 58-64 inches total overall - as would be the standard height of a floor lamp. Sometimes the only place to get the right height items or the longer length drapes is online. You should be able to find lamps at 30-36" and a table should be 27-30."
    vor 10 Jahren
    Yellow tone lamps
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    The Ikat fabric I posted above would make FABULOUS drapes to go with that rug!
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Ordered a new rug...getting braver thanks to y'all! Maybe I was too brave :/
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    Wow! That is what I would call color...yet... it has a light background, which should lighten up the area. You will certainly have your pick of accent colors now!
    vor 10 Jahren
    I love it the turquoise it will look great on the leather for pillows and a throw. But how about the print chair ? Not sure about that with the new rug ?
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    She could always bring the loveseat back in and put the chair in another room...LOL (She said, tongue-in-cheek.)
  • smdrovetto
    vor 10 Jahren
    Wow, CG! That is a really fun rug! Good for you! I was the one who didn't like the idea of a warmer color rug, but the one in your photos looks very nice, too. The red is really rich, and with the light colored flowers, it just brightened that room up!
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    I tried the new rug and it looked awful so I took it back. I am slowly adding more color but I am having a hard time finding tall lamps within my budget. I did bid on a large vintage 70's amber lamp on eBay. Here is my progress. I am looking for a tall round end table. Paula Deen furniture has one in a dark color that I think would look great. As always, I am open to suggestions from the experts!
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    Is that the rug you finally settled on? That's the one you had in your dining room, right? Paula Deen furniture is very expensive--try overstock.com they have a LOT of tables to choose from, and I have been very satisfied with the price vs. quality.
    vor 10 Jahren
    I'm glad you returned the rug it was to much with the chair fabric. The larger print of the rug now works best. I would check Home Goods, Big Lotts for lamps on a budget. have you looked at wayfair.com They have all price ranges and you can enter you budget for a lamp and search then. Your lamps don't look that small but could use more height. Sometimes just by taking 2-3 books and laying them on their side and putting the lamp on the books can be a nice look for one lamp in the room. Take your time. Your doing great.
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    Try to find a round table in a red, maybe. You already have a lot of brown.
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    What is the height of your arms on the couch? You will want to find a table at least that high.
  • Shauna Cowley Filtz
    vor 10 Jahren
    How about some nice rich drapery. I really like the Argentina Black Out drapes from Bed Bath and Beyond, reasonably priced! http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=110337&COL=625&RN=695& no scarf valence... Maybe pinch pleats?
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    I found one on ballarddesigns.com that might work.
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Ok. What do you think so far? Nancy, my couches are 26 inch tall. I am trying to find another print of the Prawl picture of the sailboat and I need to find a pillow for the chair. I had ordered a canvas print of that painting through Encore but they said they couldnt do it or something. Any suggestions for the coffee table and console decorations? Do I need to go tall? Also, I'm still looking for tall end tables. Thank you for all your suggestions!
  • Nancy Walton
    vor 10 Jahren
    You have a few too many pillows on the sofa. Move the print lumbar pillow to the leather chair, get a smaller yellow pillow and put it in the chair with the throw, the yellow pillow on the sofa is too large. If you like it to put your head on when you lie down on the sofa, put it in a basket to have it handy, but take it off the sofa, then put the orange pillow with the dark print on one end of the sofa and the lighter print pillow by itself on the other end of the sofa.
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Better?
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think the room has made a vast improvement. It's colorful and inviting. The plants make such a wonderful impact on the room. I would use a set of three candle holders or lanterns , a decorative tray or basket to hold the remotes for the coffee table.
  • cgbryant
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Any suggestions for new couch type/color?
  • happyleg
    vor 10 Jahren
    Cream.
  • kristinanadreau
    vor 8 Jahren

white and tailored

• Michele Vallee
    vor 8 Jahren

If you plan on keeping sofas....find pillowsomething that pick up the brown & Tie in ....

• Alette V
    vor 7 Jahren

I think you need to neutralize the warm tones in your living room (red brown on red brown). Unless you really love a very warm tone. Maybe try changing the rug for a light blue one. Check this out. . .https://magnoliamarket.com/finishing-touches-pillows-throws/ 

• petinarides
    vor 7 Jahren

This post is 4 years old !!!

• Alette V
    vor 7 Jahren

Ha good point - it popped on the sidebar. Somehow my intuition assumed those pop-ups were all new.

vor 7 Jahren

Yes it popped up to me to. lol I would look for a stripe drapes with the brown & red in them, Stick closer to 2 major colors and 1 accent color for a easy way to bring the room together. The small lamp use it add 3-4 big books to set the lamp on to bring more height to the lamp. or a décor box etc I love using books to raise up things to feel taller. If your even in this home still lol

Put one of the plants on the console near the stairs it will look more grand, also get rid of the little things or group them buy very large accessories .

• PRO
    Carrell Design And Staging
    vor 6 Jahren

How'd the room turn out?

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.