Houzz Logo Print
emma_mcdowall

Timber for deck

Emma McDowall
vor 6 Jahren
Whats the best hardwood to use on a deck ? Builder recommends Merbau , but I understand it leeched tanins. In the area where the deck is being built it will wash over brick pavers, so he said it will be ok with the leeching in terms of not staining ... Anyone used Merbau and can provide some advise? The alternate wood I like is spotted gum... The merbau is nice colour , but it is quite red/brown , will that fade ? Thanks Emma

Kommentare (18)

• LesleyH
    vor 6 Jahren
    They will all fade to grey without treatment.
    Emma McDowall hat LesleyH gedankt
  • grazz1230
    vor 6 Jahren

definataley fades

Emma McDowall hat grazz1230 gedankt
  • Emma McDowall
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Thanks MB for your advise .. Will have a chat with builder and compare the price b/w the two timbers for the deck .

• Gallifrey
    vor 6 Jahren

Avoid Merbau. The builder will like because is is cheaper. Go for spotted gum. The leeching from Merbau will stain your bricks. I have used it a lot at our house and regret it.

• PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Hi

There are other reasons builders use merbau. It's called wastage /excessive joins.

Spotted gum comes in random lengths which are often 40% under 1.8m. This means you get lots of joins/ends and lots of wastage. If your deck is set at eg 450 centres, the 1.1m and 1.2m pieces the suppliers send have massive wastage....

Personally, I'm not enamoured with having a deck made up of lots of little pieces either....

I just installed 170m2 of merbau wide board for my own home. It is stable, available in longer lengths and it meant that the deck looks magnificent. Got lots of 5.4m and 4.9m lengths which (when using stainless steel screws) meant less ends and fewer screws.

Because it's stable we had no issues of cupping or bowing and the uniformity is excellent.

Regarding the tannins, we have poured limestone around it. We created a 100mm wide trench around the perimeter between the deck and the limestone then bleached it and washed it a couple of times before using the brown Spa'n'deck on it.

We then filled the trench with pebbles.

It has come up quite brown... as we wanted.

Cheers

Emma McDowall hat User gedankt
  • Emma McDowall
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Thank you twos company ... Very helpful indeed... Thanks

• PRO
    Concept Products
    vor 6 Jahren

How about looking at an option that doesn't have any of these issues>

Millboard decking

Millboard Smoked Oak decking · Mehr Info

Residential Limed Oak Millboard decking · Mehr Info

Millboard Weathered Vintage Oak decking · Mehr Info

www.millboarddeck.com.au

Emma McDowall hat Concept Products gedankt
  • John Henson
    vor 6 Jahren
    Spotted gum for sure, merbau is blar... no grain or aesthetic appeal whatsoever. You have to use a stain so it does not fade but make sure you don't buy it at Bunnings because they do not stock any product that is worth putting on any timber. The two decks are Organoil in red stain and the railing on them is livos Alis in light teak. I use the livos on my own timber work but it is expensive. All this timber has been in the full elements for well over 10 years.
    Emma McDowall hat John Henson gedankt
  • Illuminide Interiors
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Emma

If you concerned about ageing and treatment of wood, there is product composite that uses both recycled materials and wood and is UV protected, will never fade, waterproof and never needs oiling. I have used it successfully as screening but is advertised as decking. Called Ekodeck, and is available in assorted sizes and colours from Bunnings. Here are some of the colours.

Emma McDowall hat Illuminide Interiors gedankt
  • Illuminide Interiors
    vor 6 Jahren

This product is also water and termite resistant, and environmentally a five star choice over real wood options if your looking to make greener choices.

Thanks Paul

• Gallifrey
    vor 6 Jahren
    Decks are not meant to be made of plastic , hence the term "timber deck". Fake decking still fades in the sun, and god knows how you resurface it. At least with real timber you can.
    I like the greyed off look of timber, and planned for this at our holiday house.
  • John Henson
    vor 6 Jahren
    I like the grey look and have got hundreds of meters of it that I look after every year. Just make sure you still oil it, between 2 and 3 times a year. The only difference is you don't have stain in it. I use two products for this job, lanotec timber seal and Organoil outdoor furniture oil. Quick light scrub with water, hose off and I use a 5 lt garden sprayer to apply. Shuffle around on an old bathroom towel to remove excess and job is done.
  • Gallifrey
    vor 6 Jahren

Had not thought of using a garden sprayer. Been using a deck pad lambswool thing and a paint brush.

• John Henson
    vor 6 Jahren
    Gallifrey that works well too but can you imagine me trying to lambs wool this structure we are building at the moment. All the timber on this will eventually be grey.
  • bigreader
    vor 6 Jahren
    Good gosh John what on earth is that? Interesting...
  • bigreader
    vor 6 Jahren
    I have a 10 year old merbau privacy screen was oiled when installed. Not touched since. It's wearing well and a nice faded brown colour. I'm close to the beach and it gets full sun. Would use it again.
  • John Henson
    vor 6 Jahren
    A kids playground
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.