Houzz Logo Print
megandommer

Stair runner help

Megan Dommer
vor 6 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 6 Jahren

Hi everyone - I need help with picking a stair runner. I recently bought my first house. I owned next to no furniture before I moved in so everything but my bedroom set was basically given to me. And none of it is really my style. I thought it would be great, buying me time to find stuff I loved...instead, I learned it's *really* hard to pick a theme when you have no piece to start with.

The only reason I'm finally forcing myself to pick a runner is because my dog is too nervous on bare steps to go up/down them. I have an idea book of runners, but honestly I'm up for anything as long as it looks good. Also, I'm not sure if I should continue it into the upstairs hallway? The wall is navy, by the way, in case it's not clear in the pics. Sherwin Williams Naval, specifically.

I can upload a pic of the living room - which is where the stairs start - but I have no interest in matching the furniture and the wood floor is the same throughout the house. The wall color is March Wind (light grey/blue you can see in the first pic).

(And if anyone has any, I'd love ideas on how to decorate that wall going upstairs)

Kommentare (17)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

love the black against the wood. maybe check for some carpet remnants you could install on the stairs? a nice snow leopard print like I have in my closet would look cool.

if that's too eccentric for you, find something plain, or do like a Kilim print or something w/reds or blues. without knowing your style, it's hard to pick.

Megan Dommer hat Beth H. : gedankt
  • Megan Dommer
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

@ Beth H - I absolutely love that snow leopard carpet, it's gorgeous! I'm not sure if I could be that bold with the runner, but that pic is going in my idea book.

I wish I knew my style, too. :) It would make things so much easier. Of the staircases you posted, my favorite is probably the middle (light grey and white design). Do you think any of these would look good? (I'm assuming you can view my idea book?) The walls are actually a dark navy. Are there any colors/shades you think I should stay away from in general?

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/88569022/thumbs/stair-runners

@chrsmith - that's a brilliant idea! I've got a maltese, with hair instead of fur, though - with how often she goes to the groomer, it might make more sense to pick a brown carpet to hide MY shedding.

Thanks so much for the advice!

• Susan Davis
    vor 6 Jahren

Check out the blog laurelberninteriors and click to find her article on stair runners. A wealth of info.

• Porter Edun
    vor 6 Jahren

I'd do a simple herringbone.. ties in with almost any decor IMO.

the herringbone come in many colors and not necessary to have a border.

The last is another one that is fairly transitional as would go with many thing you

put in your home.

• Porter Edun
    vor 6 Jahren

I would try to keep it transitional/classic in some way so it doesn't date when you sell... That's my main thought as they are attached to the wood unless you have them in place with poles which need to be mounted to the stairs... so, either way... I would try to pick carefully... even a faux sisal runner as in a wool or similar...

wool sisal

neutral herringbone with no trim

Good luck!

• katinparadise
    vor 6 Jahren

I love these stripes!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    vor 6 Jahren

I will give you some advice. Do not do 'multi-level' or Berber type carpeting on the stairs. Doggie nails get caught in it and pulls and hurt feet are the results. I like prints because they hide a multitude of problems and almost never show dirt. You can get a good carpet place to show you samples of prints and doggie friendly broadlooms and they can cut and bind the sides and install. I would do something that brightens up the dark wall color. I would hang wide white matted prints up that staircase to stand out and bring some interest.

Contemporary Bedroom · Mehr Info
    Something like those pictures with narrow framing but double wide matts and bright blue subject matter. That would be really cool.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    vor 6 Jahren

Look for "runners for stairs" here on Houzz Some good ones.

Nuloom Vintage Willena Rug, Blue, 2'8"x8' · Mehr Info
    this might work really well. Not sure what your hair color is? lol

• Irene Morresey
    vor 6 Jahren
    See they've matched the cat lol
  • Irene Morresey
    vor 6 Jahren
    I like these Stark carpet runners, love the detail, typical of me, got to be different
  • coopermcboo
    vor 6 Jahren

I also have a dog that was afraid to use the stairs (a Maltese) because he would slide. I still haven't decided on a runner, so in the meantime, I bought nonskid carpet stair treads on Amazon - I have 13 stairs, so I think it was about $120. They are definitely not "Houzz" worthy :) but they are a temporary solution. While the runners that everyone posted look great -- and I too LOVE that snow leopard -- you can still keep your pup safe while you decide.

• Megan Dommer
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks everyone!!

I love the herringbone look - I think I have a few of the exact pics that were posted saved on my Pinterest actually. But it seems like it's impossible to find!

Admittedly, I'm not looking to spend a thousand dollars so perhaps the places which carry herringbone are more upscale than where I've been looking. But it seems like a traditional, popular pattern. So I'm a bit surprised at how scarce it seems to be.
  • Porter Edun
    vor 6 Jahren

The herringbone goes with everything and is timeless too agree. Where have you tried looking for it??? Should not be difficult to find fairly reasonably...

• Porter Edun
    vor 6 Jahren

Trafficmaster has a herringbone runners it is/was I recall just under 6.00 per linear foot. There are so many herringbone runners. Some very high end and some middle of the road.

• heidilawrencedesign
    vor 6 Jahren
    For my client's stairwell, I used Surya 8' runners installed by my carpet guy. Plan 24" for each step plus one extra to match pattern.
  • PRO
    Blackstone Carpets
    vor 6 Jahren

Here is a little more inspiration.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.