Houzz Logo Print
blueblin

Hardwood help!

blueblin
vor 6 Jahren
I’m renovating a 1959 house and trying to keep the mid-century vibe, yet I’m also very drawn to a natural/bohemian look. I’ve attached a photo of the engineered hardwood our designer picked out (matte white oak) but I think it might be too dark. Opinions please! Thank you!

Kommentare (14)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

how much light does your home get? what other kind of furniture is being used?

if you want lighter, then tell your designer. doesn't matter what anyone else says. Is that useable? yes. it will work. both of these boho rooms have mid toned floors

true mcm from the 50's-60s used tile, carpet, rugs. scandavian style used a lot of white and light tones, but the furniture was a danish teak.

• blueblin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks so much for both of your feedback. I’ve attached a pic of how much light we get- quite a bit.
    I wanted a warmer space with somewhat of a warm grey wall. Right now our couch is cool grey but I’m hoping one day can be replaced with a couch that is caramel or tan.
  • User
    vor 6 Jahren

Do terazzo tile if you want something that looks like it belongs in a MCM house. That wood does not.

• Sandra Nottestad
    vor 6 Jahren

Maple - very clean, scandinavian - would be much lighter than the wood your designer selected. Use a natural sealant to protect against UVA and yellowing.

• marylut
    vor 6 Jahren
    Is your home a real MCM or Just built in 1959?
  • blueblin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks for the input! The maple looks nice.
    I don’t know what “real modern mid century” means? It was built in 1959 - what makes it “real”?
  • suzyq53
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Terazzo tile would cost three times as much easy.

• suzyq53
    vor 6 Jahren

The style of house, not when it was built.

• SJ McCarthy
    vor 6 Jahren

Cork. I can see the snow through your windows which meas terrazzo is not something you want to live with because it is cold. Cork flooring will offer the same LOOK as terrazzo but it is 3-4 times WARMER than wood (traditional wood). That warmth also reduces heating/cooling costs and is LOVELY and comfortable to live on/stand on. And it is QUIET.

It would work very well because cork also gets LIGHTER in sunlight...not yellower. It turns a pale, pale, pale blonde (think Gwen Stefani blonde).

Personally I LOVE super-pale wood. I would go as light as possible...more like the wood to the RIGHT in the photo.

• felizlady
    vor 6 Jahren
    If you are putting in hardwood flooring, the look I like best is a uniform color floor. I dislike floors that are made up of short boards of various colored pieces.
    The one-color look is achieved by installing long boards of unfinished wood of the same species (8' boards) in a staggered layout so end seams are far apart. They are stained and sealed after installation is complete.
    We had new hardwood floors installed and stained by true professionals (it's their only job) in 1986, and they still look perfect in 2018, and have never needed refinishing (our kids were teens and we never had house dogs). We have area rugs in the entry hall, dining room, living room and den, and runner rugs in the kitchen, which also has hardwood. It's a semi open plan with walls enclosing the kitchen, and a 10'-long 2-sided fireplace separating the living room from the den.
  • User
    vor 6 Jahren

Epoxy terazzo tiles can be had in the $5-$7 range. They are not as cold under foot as cementitious terrazzo.

• blueblin
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks everyone!
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.