Houzz Logo Print
ruby_khan90

gas hob on Island or not

Ruby Khan
vor 6 Jahren
Hi, just planning a new kitchen for our new house. Don’t know wether or not to have a gas hob on the Island or on the worktop?

I have got lots of space on worktop on the side. So space is not an issue.

Aesthetically it would probably look good on the Island but from a practical point of view I cook everday so I’m thinking mess around hob especially as I am planning seating around Island too.

Can anyone tell me from experience or not what they consider best option. Thanks.

Kommentare (7)

• Daisy England
    vor 6 Jahren
    For safety and economics I'd opt for an induction hob. Definitely no reason not to put one in the island. I have one in mine and it makes a good social area
  • Daisy England
    vor 6 Jahren
    My used pans go straight in the sink and filled with cold water to make washing them easier.
  • PRO
    Aflux Designs
    vor 6 Jahren

have you tried the bora induction hob? pretty neat, safe and the air gets sucked in so no need for a big hanging induction unit. just a thought :)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    vor 6 Jahren
    If you have the option to extract air/cooking smells and duct out more efficiently by putting your hob on the perimeter kitchen - that would be my suggestion.
  • PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren

It's a good point above about cooling pots. My wife cooks from scratch every day - proper food round here, no microwave dinners or loads of takeaways for us.

I do the washing up at dinner time. (so old fashioned ). She nearly always has at least 3 pans. They wouldn't all fit in the sink filled with water waiting to be washed, and besides which, you'd need to take them out to rinse them and put them back on the work top or hob whilst you filled up the sink to wash everything else. So, we choose to put the pans back on the hob whilst cooling down too. I can see why you wouldn't want a hob on an island if it's to be a social area too.

Also, she's a stickler for keeping the grand kids away from the cooking area, with pan handles turned to the rear of the hob for safety etc....................She'd probably spontaneously combust trying to keep them away from a whole island, which i'm guessing small kids might like to run around for fun.

I'd vote no hob in an island..............but lets face it, it's all down to how you choose to use your kitchen and at the end of the day it's personal preference.

• Angela 'Donovan
    vor 6 Jahren
    As you have the space I'd go for not having the hob on the island. mostly for safety reasons.
    I'd rather eat around a table - definitely not on a high seat at an island - so perhaps not right one to advise. I think the island would be better to have serving dishes in the middle rather than hob.

I'm getting rid of our peninsula - see my post 're north facing kitchen.

Good luck with yours. Exciting and daunting at the same time!
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.