Houzz Logo Print
james_rice33

Advice on how to maximise space in Victorian living room

James Rice
vor 5 Jahren

Hi folks

Would very much appreciate advice from those with experience of clever room layout!

Around 10 months ago we bought a Victorian semi, and now we're trying to work out what furniture to place in the living room. An annotated plan of that room is below; we now have alcove cupboards and floating shelves either side of the fireplace on the west wall,.

In a perfect world, we would find a sofa that curves to fit the bay window gap, and then have an armchair in the southeast corner. A flatscreen TV would go on the north wall. The problem we're facing is that bay window sofas appear to be ruinously expensive; we're then looking at a normal sofa, but will have a gap between the bay window and the sofa, and the sofa will extend further into the room.

Have we missed an idea that could work? Any suggestions gratefully received...

Kommentare (19)

• J Hen
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi, it’s late and I might have missed something so sorry if you’ve covered this but what was wrong with the old tv position? Then sofa in new tv position and another on the east wall leaving the bay free?

That just seems the most logical that I can see :0)

• PRO
    May Interiors
    vor 5 Jahren
    Ideally you don’t want to have the tv on the opposite side to the window - the glare would be so annoying at certain times of the day!

Question...what type of fire is it? - could you put TV above? (On the fireplace wall).

If that’s possible I would get a small dims corner sofa that has a low level extension (eg below) Have it on the East wall with the extension on the left (in front of window).

A chair can go on the north wall next to the door. Leaving both sides of the fireplace for extra shelving and storage!

Sofa!
    https://www.laura-james.co.uk/products/sofa-grey-interchangeable-side?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE71Hxjm1_8tOlq6YO3sjNMVDY5hoqoLMucv36Ysoo9quGRC8oIEODERoC_DAQAvD_BwE
    James Rice hat May Interiors gedankt
  • E D
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

I would suggest to have the TV in the other alcove, so ‘south’ of the chimney.

Then have the sofa where it says “chair?” and a chair at the bay window.

Personally I would never have a TV above a fireplace. Mainly because its height would make for uncomfortable viewing.

• PRO
    User
    vor 5 Jahren

As it's a Victorian house, presumably with wooden floors, i'd move the Rad off the internal wall and put it back under the Bay, where they usually start off life ( out of the way ).

I'd then have the sofa opposite the fireplace and T.V.

I think it looks better and i'm not a fan of T.V's on walls , especially in period properties.

It is more out of the way where it is and the room looks more balanced.

• minnie101
    vor 5 Jahren

I would put the tv in the left alcove on a swing out bracket if necessary and have the sofa where you planned on putting the tv. Then a chair where you planned on having it.. Maybe consider adding a window seat in the bay for extra seating/reading perch. I'd mark everything out to size with masking tape on the floor and choose a sofa on legs (so you can see the floor beneath which will make the room feel bigger) and with slim arms to maximise seating

James Rice hat minnie101 gedankt
  • PRO
    User
    vor 5 Jahren

Definitely prefer the first layout Rinq

• James Rice
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Thanks so much everybody! So grateful for your ideas.

Having a sofa on the east wall would only work if we moved the radiator (most likely to under the bay window). We had ruled that out because of inconvenience and cost – would need to pull the new laminate flooring up to move current radiator).

There is also a small box in the southeast corner where the electricity meter lives, and so we couldn't have a corner sofa neatly fill that gap.

We had thought about a bay window seat – that remains an option if we don't end up putting a sofa in front of the bay window.

Rinq, your plans are excellent. Thank you so much for taking the time to draw those! The first one in particular looks like a real possibility.

• PRO
    User
    vor 5 Jahren

It's not the largest of rooms and I wondered if you may be better off with two armchairs and a loveseat.

This would fit the long wall with the radiator that's in the way. Or

Or, even two plus an armchair

James Rice hat User gedankt
  • obobble
    vor 5 Jahren
    Think about having a bespoke sofa made when you finally decide where to locate it. It's not any more expensive than good high street versions if you go straight to the manufacturer. There are several places in Long Eaton near Nottingham if you are in the Midlands. Much wider choice of fabrics too. We used PF furniture but there are several to choose from.
    James Rice hat obobble gedankt
  • Aleksandra Arhipova
    vor 5 Jahren
    I would say taking up a chunk of the otherwise useable wall with a radiator really isn't ideal. if you really can't afford to move it, then I would look at how beautiful/low the window is. If it starts low and the room is not super light, I'd be worried about blocking the light. conversely, if its v bright then def dont put TV opposite the window. I would def think about whether this is south/north facing before planning. looks like a lovely room, good luck!!
    James Rice hat Aleksandra Arhipova gedankt
  • PRO
    User
    vor 5 Jahren

I think if you were going to consider bespoke sofa's then i'd consider taking up the laminate, moving the rad to a decent position and putting the laminate back down, which, would all take about 1 day's labour ( roughly ), then i'd buy high street sofas and put them where i wanted them.

• PRO
    Sofas & Stuff
    vor 5 Jahren

If you were considering a bespoke sofa we can definitely help! Our sofas are bespoke, British made to order. Visit our website for a quick look. Also we can wrap your sofa in any fabric in the world so you really will get exactly what you want. I think from you our nearest showroom is Manchester. Hope this helps

• PRO
    i-architect
    vor 5 Jahren

If you didn't have new flooring I'd suggest looking at the option of underfloor heating retrofitted. That would give you have a lot more freedom with the room layout.

• Tani H-S
    vor 5 Jahren
    Not read all the posts but I would do the following:

Sofa on the back wall. Two armchairs in the bay so you can sit them far back with space in between to get to the curtains/blinds and then move the tv to the other alcove as I presume mostly you will be sitting on the sofa and the people in the armchair can easily swivel them around to watch.

Got the same room layout now and my sofa sits in the bay window and its a pain!
    James Rice hat Tani H-S gedankt
  • Tani H-S
    vor 5 Jahren
    Ah there ya go - rinq did one the same as mine. Ha ha. (Should have checked the post out first so apologies for repeating ;0)
  • Carolina
    vor 5 Jahren

And here's another option. The sofa is 180 x 87 cm.

James Rice hat Carolina gedankt
  • Carolina
    vor 5 Jahren

View from the top

• E D
    vor 5 Jahren

We have the exact same layout as in C’s last option.

Works really well for us.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.