Houzz Logo Print
camille_alexandra95

What colour to paint the hallway and stairs?

Camille Clark
vor 4 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 4 Jahren

We moved into our new build a while ago, all walls are white and the house feels plain and cold. It definitely needs some colour!!! Any suggestions as to what colour to paint the hallway and stairs? Thank you in advance!

Kommentare (8)

• E D
    vor 4 Jahren

Meanwhile you can use rugs and art to add some colour.

• PRO
    At No 19
    vor 4 Jahren

Agree with Minnie about shrinkage, but if that period has passed the space could be warmed up nicely with something akin to Dulux Salisbury Stones No 6.

• Camille Clark
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thank you for the advice. We’ve been in our home over a year now so really want to crack on with some painting!

• PRO
    At No 19
    vor 4 Jahren

I'm sure! My vote would be to keep the walls neutral because there does not appear to be much natural light, then add colour with art and a blind. I don't know how long the wall is opposite the bottom step, but if sufficient space you could have a 35cm deep glass console table to hold a lamp / plant etc for added interest and colour.

• PRO
    Carrie Cotton Design
    vor 4 Jahren

Hi, congrats on your new home! Very exciting. This space appears to be either north facing or just not an area with a lot of warm light...I have been helping quite a few clients with this dilemma lately and here are a few tips for you.

North facing/lowlight rooms can be difficult to decorate as the natural light coming through will have blue/grayish undertones. This could make some paint colours look dingy or too cold (which I think is happening now).

Warm grey works well in north facing/low-light rooms and here are a couple color combos from Dulux which you can get at B&Q. Just make sure the undertones are warm (not blue or grey).

Dulux also has a ‘Light and Space’ paint finish that is supposed to reflect light in the room. https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/dulux-light-space-matt.

And just an FYI - Desenio.co.uk is a great online place to look for quality/inexpensive prints if you would like to add some art up the stair hallway area.

Good luck and congrats on a new home!

Carrie

• Juliet Docherty
    vor 4 Jahren

If you are keeping the carpet then I would stick to a colour that works with that. Personally I think greys are extremely difficult. If a space is short on light, then I would argue that a colour with a warm hue base will make it feel more homely, regardless of how fashionable it is. I have never understood what is meant by a warm grey, as colour is all relative and greys contain red, blue and yellow and shift depending on quality of light. I would play safe and think about a neutral that reads as a warm off white such as little Greene Joanna or Stock or a stone colour. That said, it's all about test pots.

• Maths Wife
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

I like Carrie Cotton's Misty Mountain or Warm Truffle. I'd also change the entrance matting from black to brown coir, as that will tie in better with the creamy beige tiles and carpet. Add in a Hallway runner to cover up some of the tiles and make it look warmer. Remove the pet bowls from the bottom of the stairs.

Stick in a small hallway table at the entrance with maybe a mirror above to reflect light.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.