Houzz Logo Print
shanikamehta

brick slips before or after kitchen

Shan M
vor 4 Jahren

Hi
Picture below shows my visual for the kitchen. With regards to the brick slips, do we fit the kitchen first (excluding the wall units), then brick the area between the tall units.
Or do I brick the wall first (wall to wall), leaving the bottom half alone as that won’t be touched. And then install all the kitchen units ???

Kommentare (3)

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

Shan Hi

Nice visualisation.

If we are talking about real brick slips that are cut from real bricks they need to be bonded to the wall and then the joints need to be pointed with mortar as one would do with real bricks. This can be quite a messy exercise and is essentially a semi wet trade

Ideally one would apply the slips before you fit the kitchen, that way worktops and units can be templated against the finished surface. One should also consider taking the slips all the way down to the floor, if you want to future proof the design and if you have any open backed units.

If one attempts to do it the other way around you would need to protect everything as mortar can be very unforgiving and gets every where. If you were going to apply a finish afterward or to an existing kitchen I would consider tiles as opposed to brick slips above the worktop.

Also in terms of sequencing of the works the kitchen units and work tops are one of the last things to go in. So it makes a lot of sense to fit the slips before the units go in, whilst all the other messy work is going on.

Imperial Bricks make the best and loveliest hand made bricks and brick slips so they are worth looking at.

https://www.imperialhandmadebricks.co.uk

• Shan M
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thanks for the reply, i guess that makes sense. Will the uneven surface of the brick slips make it difficult for the builders to install the kitchen? do they need a totally flat surface??

FYI, brick slips UK have the opposite view: "Install the Kitchen first as it is easier to cut the slips into place rather than work kitchen units around the slips". But i guess they don't mention the potential mess!

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    vor 4 Jahren

A good kitchen installer will template the walls before he cuts the work top and if the walls behind the slips is true and level, then the slips will be true and level.

If the substrate wall is not true and level you may what to level it anyway before applying the brick slips as they will take the overall form of the substrate wall

Are Brick slips UK a supplier or are they fitting and installing and do they provide a warrantee on the installation? Cutting bricks on site is done with an a high speed saw and can be dusty too.

Shan M hat Studio O+U Architects gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.