Houzz Logo Print
bcbchouse

Counter top advice Please ?

b c
vor 4 Jahren

Please give me your input on which counters would look good. Island is cherry , cabinets are cloud white and the floors are solid white oak hardwood . The kitchen isn't done yet and the range hood will be curved and also cloud white. Hardware, knobs and pulls will be brass.

So far I have thought of Silstone eternal statuario . I am open to other ideas however I am not a fan or spider looking lines in quartz. I was hoping to have a solid backsplash in the quartz .

Thanks

Kommentare (38)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    vor 4 Jahren

This quartz would complement what you have selected.

b c hat BeverlyFLADeziner gedankt
  • PRO
    Melissa Sacco Interiors, INC.
    vor 4 Jahren

Hello,

Your kitchen is beautiful!!!

As a design professional I would recommend a quartz that resembles Calacatta Marble it will incorporate the silver and brass tones and add warmth.

I hope this was helpful to you.

Enjoy your new kitchen

Melissa

b c hat Melissa Sacco Interiors, INC. gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Do you know what the name and brand of the quartz is in the second photo? Also what brand and name of calacatta quartz do you find in the most natural looking? What do you think of large format porcelain slabs for counters?

• kariyava
    vor 4 Jahren

Beautiful kitchen so far! Are you committed to quartz? If you are open to considering stones, I would go with a Alaska White granite or Taj Mahal quartzite for your counters, and a light tile backsplash that coordinates with the counter choice and your cabinets.

b c hat kariyava gedankt
  • cpartist
    vor 4 Jahren

I was going to recommend Taj Mahal quartzite which is so much prettier than any quartz.

b c hat cpartist gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thanks for the suggestion. I love Taj Mahal but my foyer has large white and grey statuario porcelain tiles. I was thinking that I should co oordinate with the foyer tile .

• mark_rachel
    vor 4 Jahren

Go to a stone yard & look at different quartzites. i LOVE taj mahal!! I personally would stay away from quartz.

b c hat mark_rachel gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thank you mark-rachel. Why would you stay away from quartz....what are your reasons?

• maggierateye
    vor 4 Jahren

Cpartist, I was under the impression that quartz COULD take the heat, as in setting a hot item on the countertop was not a problem. Could someone please clarify this issue?

b c hat maggierateye gedankt
  • L thomas
    vor 4 Jahren

Clarification: quartz can 100% not take a hot item set on it.

b c hat L thomas gedankt
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 4 Jahren

It is never reccommebded you put hot pots on quartz. I agree you need to vist stone tayrs and find something that you love. It doesnot have to match the floor in another room for sure. My biggest question is how does that cherry connect to the rest of the rooms next to the kitchen it seems kind of off in that space and I am wondering why cherry.

b c hat Patricia Colwell Consulting gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thank you Patiricia In our home we have a mix of modern white sofas chairs etc with antiques . Most of the antiques in our house are mahogany /walnut in the dark wood tones with a reddish cast. Overall the house design is very light ( BM simply white on al the walls, white trim, white oak floors, but with pops of antique furniture and art/ mirrors in gilded frames. The island we thought carried this theme into the kitchen and warmed up the space rather than having an all white kitchen.

• chispa
    vor 4 Jahren

You should not be placing hot items out of the oven on any countertop, whether man made or real stone.

b c hat chispa gedankt
  • chispa
    vor 4 Jahren

bc, your kitchen is going to end up looking like 90% of the kitchens that have been posted on Houzz for the last few years. Are you choosing items you really like or items that have been pushed on you the last few years as being the latest hip trends ...

Large production builders are currently mostly offering the white/gray mix in their projects, so the trend has pretty much run its course from high end to mass produced.

b c hat chispa gedankt
  • narnia75
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

b c, beautiful kitchen! Are your cabinets Ikea Grimslov? Or custom doors on Ikea boxes? Reason I wonder if they are Ikea, is because they are the only ones that I know of, that have the black legs on the base cabinets.

b c hat narnia75 gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

The kitchen cabinets are made by Columbia Cabinets they are not an Ikea product . They are custom, semi custom line of cabinetry. What type of legs are normally on kitchen cabinet bases?

As for the kitchen design the counter tops that I really love are real marble but when posted previously received many comments that quartz would be the preferred material. Now that I am considering quartz the comments seems to be that this is a fading trend. I have not found any granite or quartzites that speak to me or fit in the color scheme. I like the porcelain slab counters ( Epic Brand) but do not like the fact that would have to have a mitered edge. I have also looked at Dekton.

Of course I do not want a kitchen that looks like 90 percent of all kitchens in homes. The colors of our entire house is white/grey/gold or beige. However as this point I am still up in the air as to what to do to finish our kitchen and make it ours.

• tedbixby
    vor 4 Jahren

From my understanding the "hot" issue with quartz is that the reason you can not put it behind a stove or put anything hot down on it is because of the resin/polymer that is combined with the quartz to make slab. It's the resin that is not heat proof.

If you are considering quartz based on that you have been led to believe it is maintenance free, I urge you to do your research. There are many happy people that have had it installed in their kitchens but it isn't necessarily "maintenance" free as the public has been led to believe. This is an on-going Houzz thread regarding problems with Caesarstone that you may glean some info from. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5013208/terrible-experience-with-caesarstone#24594794

Have you visited all the stone yards in your area and within a 50 mile radius or so? Have you shown the yards your kitchen photo and explained what you are looking for? Sometimes they may have another yard that they have something different that they can bring in or may have something coming in soon that will work for you. Also, the yards get new slabs in on a regular basis so they may be able to tell you when to come back and look again.

• tedbixby
    vor 4 Jahren

I have no knowledge of porcelain slabs as I don't know if the mitered edge is something that is same from one to the next manuf but I did come across this thread. I didn't read the post but maybe you can glean info from it. It, too, is an on-going thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3980431/porcelain-slab-countertops

• chocolatebunny123
    vor 4 Jahren

I think your kitchen is beautiful.

I went with Hanstone Kindred because my cabinets are dark and the white/grey veining quartz was too cold looking.

Here in an in progress picture. Still trying to figure out what color to paint the walls.

b c hat chocolatebunny123 gedankt
  • PRO
    Performance Kitchens & Home
    vor 4 Jahren

It might be good to look at some stones with a little color, what your doing... everyone is doing... Be different and add a more unique stone with some color, you will be glad you did.

In 5 years... all the marbley white veined quartz cookie cutter kitchens with subway tile will look old hat and I am sure that you do not plan on doing it over that soon.

Just a little observation, you may need to have your recessed lighting plan looked at, it looks like you need to add 1 more at the range.

b c hat Performance Kitchens & Home gedankt
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    vor 4 Jahren

How about Cambria Brittanica and Quartzmater Statuario Classic. See pic below.

It has grey/blue veining with some espresso to tie in your island?? I took a close up so you can see the veining. Another one would be LG Viatera. Rococo

http://www.lgviaterausa.com/products/289/188

b c hat Filipe Custom Woodwork gedankt
  • kariyava
    vor 4 Jahren

If you can live with etching, go with marble.

b c hat kariyava gedankt
  • Sandy
    vor 4 Jahren

I choose quartz (Home Depot silestone -White with light gray veins) vs. granite because of maintenance. I cook daily, have 5 kids and did not want the upkeep of granite. I have never had to seal my quartz, never had a stain and put hot things directly on it without problems (it’s 6yrs old). I would buy it again tomorrow.

b c hat Sandy gedankt
  • mark_rachel
    vor 4 Jahren

I agree that quartz is a passing fad. When we redid our kitchen I really tried to like quartz because it was/is so popular. I just couldn't get on board with it & put granite in my kitchen. To me it looks like "fake stone" & that's not the look I want. I do like it at times in other kitchens, but it's just not my style. You have to find what you like & what works best for you. I would have went with Taj Mahal in my kitchen, but with 88 sq ft it came to $15k, and I just couldn't justify spending that. I love TM because when I look at it I think its amazing beautiful & has so many amazing colors & layers. You just can't get that with any quartz.

I wouldn't recommend putting anything hot on ANY countertop. It's just not a good habit.

b c hat mark_rachel gedankt
  • PRO
    b c hat Filipe Custom Woodwork gedankt
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 4 Jahren

I'm in the final stages of completing my kitchen (still have to pick a tile splash and do some trim molding on the doorway, coffee bar area) and chose Calacatta marble (zero care. It's factory applied in italy) for the island.

and that zero care really does work. it's amazing. nothing stains or etches. Antolini is the maker.

Or, look around for some others you may like.

Have you seen what they're doing w/porcelain slabs now? I honestly thought this was real stone

they have dozens and dozens of styles.

Bianco Avion Marble

or, if you find the right Taj, one w/more grays, it could work

Sea Pearl is another quartzite that holds up very well

b c hat Beth H. : gedankt
  • cpartist
    vor 4 Jahren

As for the kitchen design the counter tops that I really love are real marble but when posted previously received many comments that quartz would be the preferred material.

If you love marble and are ok with the idea that it's a living surface (meaning it will etch) then go for it.

I put onyx in my bathroom because I absolutely adore it. I know that it will, over time etch, and it may even get a stain or two. I don't care because I'm ok with the finish changing.

Or look into the marble Beth talked about.

Porcelain tiles have had issues with fabrication and installation. I had actually looked into them myself.

b c hat cpartist gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

How are you finding that your newly installed marble counters are holding up? Did you get honed or polished?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 4 Jahren

"Quartz CANNOT be put behind a cooktop because it can't take the heat."

This myth just won't die. Just because many people have posted here of that problem doesn't make it a problem of the material. If you have engineered stone scorching adjacent to an appliance, the appliance is not installed per manufacturer's installation instructions.

It's time for the people who draw the pictures without reading the instructions of the appliances they are specifying to stop blaming manufacturers and installers for their mistakes.

b c hat Joseph Corlett, LLC gedankt
  • Jora
    vor 4 Jahren

cpartist - *Envy* I'm SO madly in love with Onyx that hubby and I seriously considered it for the kitchen. Yes, I know it's a BIG NO NO in the kitchen, and that's why we ultimately opted against it.

b c hat Jora gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

One of the marble slabs we have been looking at and above is the Quartz Silstone Eternal Statuario slab.

• typeandrun
    vor 4 Jahren

have you considered leathered Taj Mahal ? I love the finish!

b c hat typeandrun gedankt
  • cpartist
    vor 4 Jahren

BC have you been to the stone yards?

b c hat cpartist gedankt
  • b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Yes I have been to the stone yards. My difficulty is that our foyer is porcelain tile marble look 24 by 24 tile and the foyer opens on to the kitchen. Therefore I feel that the countertops and backsplash should coordinate with the foyer tile . ( Note foyer staircase not quite completed)

• b c
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

This was one marble slab that we liked at the stone yard last week.

• ljptwt7
    vor 4 Jahren

Beautiful home. If you decide against marble (I would look into Beth's marble!) how about a black leathered granite or soapstone?

b c hat ljptwt7 gedankt
  • typeandrun
    vor 4 Jahren

JMO but your kitchen is formal enough to coordinate with the formality of your entryway floor, based upon the chandelier in the kitchen and brass fixtures. I don't think you need to base your countertop and backsplash based upon the flooring

b c hat typeandrun gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.