Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Houzz Live Chat: Creating the Perfect Woman/Man Cave

Jeannie Nguyen
vor 10 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 10 Jahren
Welcome to Houzz Live: Tips on creating the Perfect woman/man cave!

Today we are talking to some of the top pros on Houzz about some of the best practices and basics around creating the perfect woman/man cave. Please welcome:

Kim Bova of TR Building & Remodeling
http://www.houzz.com/pro/tr-building

Kelly Berg of Story & Space
http://www.houzz.com/pro/kellyberg

Angela Todd of Angela Todd Designs
http://www.houzz.com/pro/angelatodddesigns

In addition, all community members are invited to jump in and participate by answering the questions posted.

The format is as follows: We will post questions as comments to this discussion thread. Each question will be prefaced by the question number, for example “Q1)”. For every answer to a particular question, you should use a corresponding label to attribute it back to the question you are answering, for example “A1)”.

Remember to refresh your page to see new questions and answers.

Most importantly, have fun!

Kommentare (112)

• Jeannie Nguyen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Q7) Any tips for creating a personal room in a smaller home where space is at a real premium?
  • PRO
    TR Design-Build Firm
    vor 10 Jahren
    A7) Utilize things like jogs in walls and knee walls for storage.
  • PRO
    Story & Space Interior Design
    vor 10 Jahren
    A7) Well, sometimes it may not be necessary to dedicate an entire room. Maybe the “cave” can be a corner of a room? Or maybe a room or area can be multifunctional? Perhaps a guest room multi-functions as a music room. Or a kid’s playroom multi-functions as a crafting space. Sometimes we just don’t have the luxury to dedicate an entire room to one function, and that’s ok. One design tip if you are short on space - use the vertical space as much as possible for storage. It will help you get so much more into a room!
  • User
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    What would you recommend for flooring underneath a pool table in a basement man cave? We're thinking about a Berber carpet. Is that still popular?
  • PRO
    Chimney King, LLC
    vor 10 Jahren
    Woman Cave...or Man Cave ? :)
  • PRO
    Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR
    vor 10 Jahren
    A7) For smaller spaces look in closets, under stairs and even for walls that can be niched.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    @eyrneyrn - I wouldn't worry about what's popular, but rather what's going to fit your needs and support your room's design style.
  • PRO
    SEMERJIAN BUILDERS
    vor 10 Jahren
    A7) Dead space can often be used for little nooks for reading such as under stairs, or in rear hallways. Where space is a premium, often there are smaller spaces and no ability for the cave to be an entire room.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A7) I agree with @Story and Space. Go Vertical when needed. This is so overlooked and it also has a wonderful design aesthetic to it.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Q8) Many homeowners incorporate their favorite knick knacks and sentimental items into their caves. Any tips for including these things without cluttering the space?
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    @AngelaToodDesigns - yes! Look up! The walls need not just be for art, etc. Use that space smartly.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A8) There is definitely something to be said for editing knick-knacks. I’d say, keep to the design concept as much as possible, for starters. But different people have different limits on how much is too much stuff. Maybe - if it doesn’t fit, don’t force it? Or if your “stuff” is hindering the overall purpose of the room it’s time to reevaluate?
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A8) I love pieces like these because they tend to carry the story and tell the essence of the howeowners! The most common mistake is not grouping these items to make a larger impact. Little pieces tend to get lost in scale and you don’t enjoy or notice them. Framing pieces (together or alone) in a shadow box is a great way to add personalization. Jerseys, maps, and treasured items look more special and polished when treated in this way. (It also protects the pieces.) Shelving and bookcases incorporated with framed artwork and other mixed media for walls is a great way to personalize - and not take up horizontal surfaces like tables, coffee tables and bars.
  • PRO
    TR Design-Build Firm
    vor 10 Jahren
    @eyrneyrn, you might want to consider porcelain plank tile flooring as an option. It's harder and more dense than many other tiles, and resists staining and moisture. It needs no polishing, waxing, or sealing, and can be cleaned easily with a damp mop. Professionals can use it to create the look of natural stone, granite, and even woods and metals.
  • PRO
    TR Design-Build Firm
    vor 10 Jahren
    A8) Create in wall niches that allow for these types of things. Install bracket-less shelves which have a clean appearance w/o the look of cleats or brackets
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A8) I also feel like when answering this question about accessories (knickknacks) we should go back to design principles that always work. Group, add different textures, add different scales and height, create emphasis and cohesiveness.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Q9) Any absolute no-no’s when it comes to designing your own man/woman cave?
  • PRO
    TR Design-Build Firm
    vor 10 Jahren
    A9) It's your unique space so make it just the way you want it and don't be afraid of what other people may think.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A9) I don’t believe in strict design rules, so no.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    @eyrneyrn as TR Building suggested, here is a link to that look. http://www.getstile.com/american.htm
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A9) This question made me smile. Are you asking builders and designers about rules? We live to build and design things that are new, innovative and break the rules as we knew them before.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    @Story and Space - I would love to repost your blog and link to you. Please send it to me.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Ok everyone, great chat so far! Here's the last question:

Q10) Is there a man/woman cave in your home? Any fun photos to share?
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    @Jeannie Nguyen - is it ok to post a link to my blog here?
  • PRO
    TR Design-Build Firm
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    A10) No not yet! I've only had the pleasure of creating them for others..take a look at our page to see some great photos of our Ultimate Man Cave project!
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    @Story & Space: Go for it. :)
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A10) I wouldn’t call any of the rooms in our home a “cave”. I do work from home and have a home office that is very much my space, but it’s certainly not off-limits to anyone. And my husband has a room with his “stuff” in it that we are currently painting, etc., but again, not off-limits to anyone. We will use that room for books and guitars...and probably a guest room. We are trying to create a home (we’ve only been in our house a year) that fits all our needs. The toughest part? Defining those needs!
  • PRO
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    @Chimney King.. I think man caves are more popular simply because men tend to get moved into little areas in the home to express themselves like garages and basements - while the wives design and decorate the kitchen, bedrooms, and living spaces - really the entire house! Getting a room to themselves allows them to show off their Star Wars collection, display their taxidermy, have a pint of beer in peace, play arcade games or whatever else gets them excited!
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    A10) Not yet. I think I will ask my husband tonight if he wants me to design him something;)
  • PRO
    TR Design-Build Firm
    vor 10 Jahren
    @Angela Todd Designs, couldn't agree more!
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thank you to all the pros for taking their time to participate in this chat! We hope you all enjoyed and learned something today. Looking forward to chatting again next week! :) You may all speak freely now! :P
  • PRO
    TR Design-Build Firm
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks Jeannie!
    Jeannie Nguyen hat TR Design-Build Firm gedankt
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks for having us, @Jeannie Nguyen and @houzz! It was fun!
    Jeannie Nguyen hat Story & Space Interior Design gedankt
  • PRO
    Glideware
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks @Jeannie Nguyen and @houzz! . This was informative. Looking forward to the next opportunity.
    Jeannie Nguyen hat Glideware gedankt
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thank you Jeannie. It was nice spending some time with you all today! I can be reached via my profile or via web at: www.nwinteriordesigner.com
    Jeannie Nguyen hat Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR gedankt
  • PRO
    Chimney King, LLC
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks Jeannie
    Jeannie Nguyen hat Chimney King, LLC gedankt
  • handymam
    vor 10 Jahren
    Story & Space, just read the blog about 5 reasons, and I have to say I can relate to a few of them. Sometimes, you just have to go with a great color that you fall in love with and design everything else around it. This was a great chat from the pros today, thanks!
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks @handyman! Glad you liked it.
  • handymam
    vor 10 Jahren
    maM, lol.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Oh...oops! :) very cute name.
  • PRO
    Nolia Design
    vor 10 Jahren
    What do we think most men & women do in their caves? I'm curious, but will weigh in on different projects that I believe, meet the parameters:

WOMEN:
    Closets!!!!
    Baths and in home spas/beauty studios
    Exercise and Pilates rooms
    Studios: Art, Writing
    Garden Buildings: Greenhouses, Potting Sheds, Plant processing areas
    Custom BAKING kitchens
    Meditation/Yoga spaces/indoors & out

MEN:
    Media Rooms!!!!
    Sports, Arcades, Billards
    Exercise Rooms & Gyms
    Art Studios
    Gentlemans Bars
    Meditation Spaces

I would love to hear more about your man/woman cave projects.
  • PRO
    Chimney King, LLC
    vor 10 Jahren
    These are all very good suggestions! We at Chimney King really do not have anything to do with the inside of the home. But...personally mine happens to be the garage.
  • mousemaker
    vor 10 Jahren
    we actually left the "caves" somewhere between 80 and 100 thousand years ago..of course this is always up for debate :) and science is always changing depending on new data and analysis. It makes me wonder why people are so anxious to go back?
  • PRO
    Chimney King, LLC
    vor 10 Jahren
    I was wondering when the 'cave thing' came back into existance. Seems to be the new buzz word
  • Bethany Heil
    vor 10 Jahren
    This would be awesome to have family and friends over!!! But then again they would never want to leave...lol
  • mousemaker
    vor 10 Jahren
    good point :) and I wonder why we feel it necessary to separate ourselves so much and in this way. and why does it need a label that puts you off?
  • PRO
    McClure Tables
    vor 10 Jahren
    Every perfect man cave needs a custom made shuffle board table. Feel free to check us out to fit your needs.
  • PRO
    Ut Sedeat
    vor 10 Jahren
    Start at a vision of success, reverse engineer the steps backwards to starting, then start and follow the steps.
  • PRO
    Exceed Floor & Home
    vor 10 Jahren
    eench besses?
Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.