Houzz Logo Print
karen_sargent8111941

Painting a gloss kitchen

Karen Sargent
Vor 10 Monaten

I have a cream gloss kitchen that I want to repaint. I have 2 specific colours in mind - one from F&B the other from Zoffany.

I’ve read that water based paint is not as durable but I’m also worried that if I just get a paint company to mix the colours they won’t have the same depth. So I’m not sure what’s the biggest risk.

I don’t have kids or dogs so the kitchen doesn’t see high traffic.

Would love any advice - especially if you’ve painted gloss kitchens yourself.

Thanks
Karen

Kommentare (6)

• User
    Vor 10 Monaten

I've not painted gloss kitchen doors myself, but this article might help https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/painting-gloss-kitchen-cabinets

• Karen Sargent
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    Vor 10 Monaten

Thanks so much Sarah!

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    Vor 10 Monaten

You need to find out what the gloss doors are made from, ie is it a painted gloss door, vinyl wrap gloss, acrylic gloss as you need different paints for each. I'd search on line for a professional to do this as you could end up ruining your kitchen.

• Karen Sargent
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    Vor 10 Monaten

Thanks lifestyles kitchens - I was planning on using zinsser as a primer as I assumed it would stick to anything. Is that not the case?

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    Vor 10 Monaten

I don't know enough about zinsser primer or what your doors are to be able to advise. You could take a door with you to a local paint suppliers [not your diy chains] and ask them for advice.

• PRO
    Paintforme
    Vor 10 Monaten

Hi Karen,

We have repainted a number of kitchens. As Lifestyle Kitchens have pointed, step one is to find out what material was used. If your units are of vinyl wrap or plastic veneer (possibly not the same), then we would advise you change the doors for new. However, if the units were previously painted/sprayed, then:

- rub down and dust off (includes wet wipe)

- apply undercoat in similar colour to your chosen one

- make good if necessary and touch up with undercoat

- apply two coats of chosen finish paint, don't forget light sanding between coats with fine paper,

We hope this helps! If you are London based and would need help with this, please call 07967644218.

Best Regards,

Paintforme

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.