Houzz Logo Print
webuser_341382031

Non existent dining room?

I moved into my home less than 6 months ago and I am having trouble figuring out how to design this wall of a dining room. We bought an ikea table that folds up and down and it didn't really work for us so we got a kitchen island and have been using that.

We want to keep the ikea table in the event we have guests over but I've been trying to figure out the best way to design this area. We don't have a lot of storage space so we'd like to keep the blue cabinet too.

Kommentare (14)

• Lyn Nielson
    Vor 10 Monaten

you have room to open the table and put the two chairs under it.

What is that black box?

either replace the art above the table or lower what you have.

Houzz-Nutzer 341382031 hat Lyn Nielson gedankt
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Vor 10 Monaten

Can we have a to scale floor plan of the whole space and also maybe the whole living space . Have you tried ourging the cabinets or at least moving some stuff to another place if it is stuff you do not use all the time . IMO the blue cabinet is the issue . Most of my clinets always start with a good purge before we design a kitchen.

Houzz-Nutzer 341382031 hat Patricia Colwell Consulting gedankt
  • Houzz-Nutzer 341382031
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    Vor 10 Monaten
    Zuletzt geändert: Vor 10 Monaten

I'm planning on moving the chairs since they won't be used unless we have company over. The black box is an ottoman that we are planning on getting rid of. I agree with replacing the art!

• Houzz-Nutzer 341382031
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    Vor 10 Monaten

Here is the floor plan, it's an open concept so it runs straight through to the laundry room. As far as purging the cabinets, our cabinets are so small and we realized that the previous owners/bulider that renovated the kitchen cut corners and added "spacers" at the end of the cabinets so we're not using the full cabinet space.

• housegal200
    Vor 10 Monaten

Some possibilities, but please provide photos of all four sides of kitchen and your entryway as wel. Based on your limited photos,

--Do a major kitchen purge of all duplicates, small appliances and serving piece you don't use every day that could be moved to laundry room. Don't hang stuff off the nice china/storage piece or on top of fridge. This gets messy to look at. Get a large, magnet bulletin board or magnetic storage pockets for fridge if you must have calendar, etc. in kitchen. Confine the visual clutters.

--Move your freestanding island to the wall where Ikea folding table is. (Sorry, but the island is a problem piece jutting out into the room. If you can move it to the wall, you'd have more space.)

-Float a small round tulip table and your two chairs where the island was--in the middle of the kitchen.

--Set up dining corner as shown in my photo in corner of living room closest to kitchen.

--Or move the china/storage piece to living room corner close to kitchen.

With more photos, including the living room, we might be able to suggest where you can place your china/storage cabinet. That would open up a corner for the tulip table and two chairs. Many Houzz Design Dilemmas can be tackled by two things: decluttering and fixing the layout in a new way.

Houzz-Nutzer 341382031 hat housegal200 gedankt
  • Houzz-Nutzer 341382031
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    Vor 10 Monaten

Here are additional photos of the kitchen:

This is to show how big a majority of our cabinets are:

• housegal200
    Vor 10 Monaten

Thank you for the additional photos. Since all rooms connect, we need photos of all spaces from all four sides, including living room and laundry room to get maximum flow in the layoutl Here are some possibilities:

--I see that the island really won't work as a buffet/console. If you rehomed it, you could float a tulip table and your two chairs where you now have current rug and get a round rug to define the space. Smaller version of this:

--Why do you have that screen blocking a nice long sightline from your door to your living room window and outside window? Unblocking that doorway would make the space seem much bigger visually and give you great flow. You're blocking a great asset.

--What I can see is a front doorway on the right in living room. You could float your sofa, wherever it is, to create an entryway behind it. That might free up wall space for a real dining space in the living room on the wall that backs up to the kitchen--a scaled-down version of this.

Again, start thinking off all the space you have to work with as one space instead of chopping it off, from laundry (bet you could creat a ton of kitchen storage in there, but we need photos.) Things that add flow and function to a space are wall colors and finishes that echo each other. So a rug in the kitchen should harmonize with living room rug, for example.

Houzz-Nutzer 341382031 hat housegal200 gedankt
  • Buehl
    Vor 10 Monaten

So, there is no other Dining Room? This is an eat-in Kitchen with no other table space?

We need to see a sketch of the entire floor so we can see how the rooms relate to one another and to see how the traffic flows in/around/through the Kitchen. The sketch should include all doors (interior & exterior).

Is that side room used much? I'm concerned that any table you put there will impede traffic and force it into the Kitchen -- right through the main working parts of the Kitchen.

• Buehl
    Vor 10 Monaten

Could you move the blue cabinet into that side room and out of the Kitchen/Dining space?

• tracie_erin
    Vor 10 Monaten

I would remove the current island and replace with a freestanding counter height table (aka island height, but no lower shelf) as the eating space. It should be the same width as the current island, but you could make it a bit longer - you may need to get something custom made. Then backless or low back stools that will tuck completely under the table so they won't be in the way when the seating isn't in use. You could fit 2, maybe 3 seats here.

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    Vor 10 Monaten

What about a tiny little breakfast nook area? It might look great to add cabinets and built-ins, or a bar area near the breakfast nook. Here are a few visuals to help you more:

Greenwood Avenue · Mehr Info

Mueller Masculine Midcentury Modern Townhouse · Mehr Info

Modern Colorful Kitchen · Mehr Info

Houzz-Nutzer 341382031 hat Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist gedankt
  • Amanda Smith
    Vor 10 Monaten

Following

• Kendrah
    Vor 10 Monaten

I once had an area of my kitchen much like your dining space. I think the set up you have now is good, it just needs some tweaks. The chairs you have now are so tall and the table so low and small that they don't look right together. Your current white table is the right idea but it is the wrong scale for the space. I think you need one slightly wider than the one you have now. Put the chairs on either side of it (I know you don't need to but it will balance it out.) Hang a larger piece of artwork over the table and lower on the wall.

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · Mehr Info

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · Mehr Info

Houzz-Nutzer 341382031 hat Kendrah gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.