Houzz Logo Print
racheljane

decorative painting

Rachel Jane
vor 10 Jahren
Just wondering what others think about this kind of decorative painting / "faux finish"? I'm considering having one wall in my LR done like this. not so much concerned with coordinating the specific colour as I am the technique in general. I like it but worried it might be considered a dated look. Thoughts?

Kommentare (20)

• Rachel Jane
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    FYI, this is the wall I'm thinking of having painted in the above or similar finish.
  • PRO
    User
    vor 10 Jahren
    In Texas, there is a lot of this type of painting still going on in the higher end homes. If you love it...go for it! It's just a tone on tone finish...looks really nice. Make sure the wall it is going on is the main focal point of the room. It will look great!
  • dclostboy
    vor 10 Jahren
    It's really gorgeous...do it and enjoy it, but pick a modern color.
  • Rachel Jane
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    dclostboy: what would you suggest for modern colour?
  • dclostboy
    vor 10 Jahren
    Charcoal or sage would be stunning, but depends much on the rest of the furnishings :)
  • makennac
    vor 10 Jahren
    I've never seen a finished product I liked. But you might get lucky. If not, it's just paint, albeit expensive paint... M
  • Rachel Jane
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    My other thought was to go with something more textured, like a linen-type weave or grass cloth-like finish. I've seen the artist's work and it's really well done. Decisions, decisions!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    vor 10 Jahren
    Had I seen your question without the sample board, I'd have suggested you run for the hills. But I'm eating that thought now, and embracing this genius treatment. It's textural rather than trying too hard to be decorative, and will be a stunning backdrop for your space. Do I detect a hint of shimmer?
  • PRO
    Jill Worobec
    vor 10 Jahren
    I love it. It looks like beautiful Venetian plaster.
  • mk69
    vor 10 Jahren
    I did a similar finish because I saw a picture of it and loved it. I had it completed and while it was lovely it had the effect of making the room look more formal and almost icy, instead of welcoming. Maybe test it?
  • Rachel Jane
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Barnhart Gallery, yes it's like a matte tone in top of a shimmer tone. It really is beautiful. But I think mk69 has nailed the issue: it does feel icy and perhaps formal in all of its shimmery beauty. I think that's why I was originally drawn to grass cloth and linen, for the warmth of those looks. But then I was shown this sample and loved it. Aargh!!
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    vor 10 Jahren
    Put it on the ceiling.
  • Rachel Jane
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    catieb, I love ceilings painted this way. Unfortunately it wouldn't work in my place as the entire floor (LR, DR, kitchen, den) is open concept. It would be too much for the whole floor. The downside of open concept spaces.
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    vor 10 Jahren
    bummer.

Is the layout such that you can add an architectural or other design element to create visual (just at the ceiling level) separation between the spaces? The faux painting people may have a trick up their sleeves.
  • lefty47
    vor 10 Jahren
    HI -- The 80's and 90's faux painting is really over with , and thankfully so . But some faux is being done again , but in a more up- dated modern look . I like the sample you show , - so maybe give it a try with the one wall and if it looks good to you - maybe do the whole room . It has to be finer and in a proper color like the sample . It's just paint so if it doesn't look right - it can be painted out .
  • Rachel Jane
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Well, it's done. Happy with it. Just need to figure out what to do for wall art. The brown chair isn't staying, I'm thinking about a Barcelona-type chair. Not sure what to do for colour though? Usually they're white, which I don't think would work. Any suggestions?
  • dclostboy
    vor 10 Jahren
    Texture so cool...have you thought about sepia artwork?
  • Rachel Jane
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    dclostboy: that's a great idea! I considered some photography but I didn't think B&W would work. Sepia would be perfect with the tones in this room. I have some photography from my various travels around Europe that would look great in sepia. Thanks for the inspiration!

Now I just need to figure out size of prints & frames, material for frames, layout, etc........
  • auntiebuzzybee
    vor 10 Jahren
    @dclostboy, that's perfection right there!
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.