Houzz Logo Print
fensterbos

Outdoor fireplaces and wood ovens - kits or custom?

fensterbos
vor 10 Jahren
Our neighbors had an exterior fireplace install in their backyard and I instantly fell in love with the idea of putting one on our patio as well. We'd like to have a outdoor fireplace and wood oven combo installed, similar to the attached photo (photo from Paradise Landscaping).

I have been looking into some local dealers and contractors and I found some information about fireplace kits and custom fireplaces. Some of the brands/products I have found are Isokern Fireplaces, Harmony Elements, Firerock, and Belgard Elements - these are listed in what seems to be in order of quality and price. What is most important to me is quality, looks, and price - I'd love to save some money on labor and/or materials, but I do not want to jeopardize quality and longevity to save $500. And of course, there is the option of having a fireplace custom built, which would probably be the highest quality, but most expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with the mentioned brands above and recommend one over the other? Would I be sacrificing a lot in quality if I went with a brand like Firerock or Belgard? I appreciate your help and opinions on this topic.

Thank you!

Kommentare (8)

• PRO
    Vancouver Gas Fireplaces
    vor 10 Jahren
    A similar looking product would be the MPOD from Lennox Fireplaces (picture attached) you can try their website http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/ and see if they have a dealer in your area.
    The approximate dimensions for that type of product are: 45W" x 43H" x 21-1/4"D
  • hazeldazel
    vor 10 Jahren
    we are building a wood-fired pizza oven and firepit with attached outdoor kitchen. Check out Forno Bravo for their pizza oven and outdoor fireplace kits, or you can get free plans from them to build your own. They have a LOT of good info on their site.
  • PRO
    Mugnaini
    vor 10 Jahren
    Was that Marterella Winery?
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    vor 10 Jahren
    No, although we've eaten pizza from Marterella's oven! The winery we did was Old House Vineyards.
  • PRO
    Hawkins Landscape Architecture/TriadGarden
    vor 9 Jahren
    Hi- I have had much experience with both custom, kit and pre-fab (i.e Belgard) fireplaces and pizza ovens. Of course custom fireplaces have the most design options and are predictably also the most expensive. There are benefits and detriments to each construction type.

You can read about all three types I have had experience with on my blog: http://musings-of-a-gardendiva.blogspot.com/2014/11/fireplaces-and-pizza-ovens-custom-kit.html
  • PRO
    Mugnaini
    vor 9 Jahren
    In our 25 years of bringing the wood fired experience to the US market we have found there is quite a range of results from various ovens and despite the amount of information on the internet true expertise is hard to find amidst the misinformation. The size, shape, materials and building techniques play a crucial part in the performance of any oven. To build a bbq shaped like a pizza oven is not going to get the results made famous by true Italian ovens.

We see about one oven a month that gets taken down and replaced after people come to one of our classes - see www.mugnaini.com and link to our Facebook page if you want to see the quality and range of the food cooked in our ovens.

All Mugnaini ovens are available in a masonry kit or pre-assembled (you add the finish materials) using Italy's original modular pizza oven patented in 1946. If you look at 90% of the market you will see that these ovens are patterned off of the Mugnaini design. The same is true for the Belgard which is a Chicago Brick oven that is extremely small with a super low dome that does not have the flame path, room for food or the heat retention of a true Italian oven. In other words, you can buy an oven that looks great but does not perform well.

It is true a masonry structure will offer the most flexibility in design and materials on the outside but there are cases where a pre-assembled oven will solve installation issues. If possible you want to cook in an oven before you buy one, as they say "seeing is believing". Everything we promote at Mugnaini we can and will demonstrate for you in our showroom.
  • PRO
    Backyard Flare, LLC
    vor 9 Jahren
    If you are wanting to save lots of money and are willing to build your outdoor fireplace yourself, go to www.backyardflare.com for ideas and DIY construction plans. We are confident that we can help you with a great looking structure at a fraction of the cost.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.