Houzz Logo Print
hhase

Fireplace surround?

hhase
vor 10 Jahren
Need help finding a rock to go on my fireplace. Initially picked the ledge stone you see laying in front of the fireplace, but am having second thoughts, as it looks a little too orange for me. Built fireplace with only 2 inches of depth difference between the mantle sides and where the rock goes on. Any suggestions?

Kommentare (34)

• PRO
    Interior Trends Remodel & Design
    vor 10 Jahren
    The stone you selected is actually very nice. I know the computer isn't the best representation of color but I think you are on the right track. A thin veneer stack stone would be nice and not to heavy. Otherwise, I don't mind it as it is either if you painted it a warmer tone and placed a round mirror above. That might be a more cost effective solution. Keep us posted on the finished product!
  • PRO
    Creative Garden Spaces
    vor 10 Jahren
    Not sure i would use rock, you might want to look at neutral color porcelain or stone tile options.
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks for the input! We just moved in and everything is bare for the moment! For sure something big over fireplace, and another cabinet to right of fireplace to balance out the tv. I like the idea of tile, but husband wants to keep the space more traditional. Do you have any specific ideas for tile that I can run by him?
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Interior Trends, would you suggest painting or putting rock on? I already bought the ledge stone, so cost not an issue. I wanted the fireplace to be a focal point, but am worried of putting up a permanent rock I might not love!
  • PRO
    CO Interiors
    vor 10 Jahren
    If you would like to keep a traditional look, definitely install stone. It doesn't necessarily need to be a mosaic tile. For a traditional yet clean look, perhaps slab is more suitable. There are many options of stone, some less busy looking than others.
  • PRO
    David Clough Construction Company
    vor 10 Jahren
    We have used "Ming green" tiles 12x12 for a surround and found it goes well with just about everything. It stays in style and doesn't get outdated as well. We live in MA try Tonys in Stoneham Ma.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 10 Jahren
    David, love the ming green. Used them in penny rounds in a guest bath. Lived in Wakefield all my life, by Bear Hill CC, until moving to Orleans.

Is Tony’s new to the area?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like your tiles. What I would love to see you do is to trim out the top of the chimney wall to highlight it.
    Traditional Living Room · Mehr Info
  • Danielle Mac
    vor 10 Jahren
    The stone you selected is a very nice neutral, I agree with Interior Trends Remodel & Design. If you aren't in love with that stone don't put it in your house, but if you picked the stone in light of other renovations you'll be doing in the future you may not be drawn to it simply because the other changes aren't complete. It happens to the best of us :) and the stone your selected does look lovely in that space.

Alternative options to the stone you selected would be to finish with the wood and paint it white. Then I'd add a decorative fireplace screen to create visual interest or you could go with a marble tile with a white base color to finish your fireplace. Here are some photos to help give you some direction.
    Seacrest Residence · Mehr Info

Palos Verdes Estates- Private Residence · Mehr Info

Country French Family Room · Mehr Info

What are your main accent colors in this room? I think I see a red, white, blue pillows but I can't exactly tell.
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Here is a better picture with some of the stones setting up in place...please don't mind the mess, we just moved in. Hubby already cut all ledgestone to fit, hence the tarp covering the wet saw! He said he is not putting it away until the fireplace is done! He know the mess drives me crazy so I need to make a decision!! Am I over analyzing this decision?
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Iamjudy...love that fireplace trimmed out! Looks pretty easy and not real expensive!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 10 Jahren
    Just a little extra touch that sets it apart. Like how your fireplace is going. I really the the trim work. Just sent it to a client for her consideration. Looking for a simple, teeny bit contemporary and more than teeny in the traditional line,,,,if that makes any sense to you. Yours does it all, IMO.
  • abbyjean
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    I love what you have started here and it is easy to see how beautiful it works when you put it up this way. Get 'er done!
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks guys. That's what hubby says...get er' done! iamjudy, I was going for the transitional style...did I achieve it? That is why I am struggling with the rock, I prefer more contemporary...maybe some glass and metal tiles, but hubby likes traditional with ledge stone! He wins with stone...just want the right one to stay transitional! Consensus seems to be use what I have?
  • Monique Barrow
    vor 10 Jahren
    You're going to have a lovely fireplace so let your husband continue! As far as I can see the rock matches your sofa, wallpaint and all other items you have in your livingroom. Go on!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 10 Jahren
    Holy Cow…just edited my profile and I have become a new person!
  • abbyjean
    vor 10 Jahren
    Yes, let your husband continue. Finishing this will not take long and you will be sending us the final pic! Then we can admire it along with you.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    vor 10 Jahren
    It reads transitional to me. I really like your choices with the mantle and stacked stone. Nice clean lines and warm neutral color.
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    One more question I have been struggling with. Over the table I am doing a large drum pendent with brushed nickel, and I have chrome pendent lights over the island with brushed nickel faucets etc. Can I do a handing chandelier with small drum shades in rubbed bronze over our stair case? It is kind of in the same room, not sure if I can do rubbed bronze chandelier to match stair rail, or if it needs to be brushed nickel like other lights in the open layout. Ideas? My door handles are rubbed bronze too.
  • abbyjean
    vor 10 Jahren
    I say to match the stair rail since they are together.
  • debiemahoney
    vor 10 Jahren
    Love your fire surround and your choice of stone/rock. What did you do for the hearth?
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks guys for the gentle encouragement to get it done! Here are the afters picture...I really like it. What are your thoughts?
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks! Yep, -60 degree wind chills in North Dakota warrant a snow day from school (note the teacher hubby lounging on the couch) hot chocolate, and a fire!
  • abbyjean
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    Well, howdy, neighbor! I am in South Dakota, freezing and enjoying a no day of school, too!
  • Danielle Mac
    vor 10 Jahren
    You're fireplace looks beautiful! I'm glad you went forward with the stone. What are your plans for above the fireplace - a nice painting or do you plan to mount the TV?
    hhase hat Danielle Mac gedankt
  • dclostboy
    vor 10 Jahren
    Not orange at all...great job
    hhase hat dclostboy gedankt
  • sunnydrew
    vor 10 Jahren
    looks beautiful
    hhase hat sunnydrew gedankt
  • hhase
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Mac Interiors, I am open to suggestions for above fireplace! Don't think we want the TV above it, don't care for a TV that high. Looking for a nice painting to bring in some color, or a large round mirror with some bling! Also looking to purchase new TV stand (don't care for the cherry wood in this space) and a nice storage cabinet to balance out the right side. Here is the link to a mirror I am considering.

http://www.target.com/p/gilbert-wall-mirror/-/A-12891474#prodSlot=medium_1_22&term=mirror
  • Danielle Mac
    vor 10 Jahren
    Hhase, I'm leaning towards a painting for the area, but the mirror is a nice selection. Personally, I think art brings warmth and life to a room. Plus it's usually a great conversation starter when you entertain guests. What would the mirror be reflecting? You'll want the reflection to be interesting to the eye. If it's the kitchen, and you keep it clean as well as it's nicely decorated, the mirror would look very nice. If your kitchen tends to be disheveled (as mine may be during the week :) ) I'd go with a piece of art. I would switch out the trim on the recessed light centered above the fireplace for an adjustable gimbal trim to highlight the painting if that's what you go with. Something like this http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/indoor-lighting/recessed-housings-trims/recessed-lighting-trims/120v-5-recessed-trims/120v-5-par30-gimbal-ring-trim-b563/. If you go with a mirror, don't worry about adjusting the recessed trim.
    hhase hat Danielle Mac gedankt
  • PRO
    TVCoverUps
    vor 10 Jahren
    Another option to consider is TVCoverUps. Framed Art(including your own) or mirror adds to the room's decor with the hidden TV and Entertainment Consoles beneath.
    See how EASY it really is :
  • PRO
    Article
    vor 10 Jahren
    I would do a nice light gray stone or textured tile.... Here are a few tiles from Porcelanosa that I think would be great in your living room

http://www.porcelanosa.com/gb/natural-stone-wall-tiles.php

Hope this helps inspire you, good luck!
  • Joy
    vor 10 Jahren
    Lovely fireplace! Your husband did a great job. I would wait to put something over the fireplace until you have decided and implemented what you are doing in the areas next to the fireplace. Will your TV be elevated on a new entertainment center? Are you going to do bookcases on both sides, a desk and chair on one side? Reading nook? Maybe along the road of life you will find something for over your fireplace that means something to you and your family. Art from a trip, antique mirror from a family member. Take your time, what's the hurry?
  • PRO
    Paint Creek
    vor 10 Jahren
    Importantly, before adding a mirror above the fireplace, consider what it will be reflecting? Also, it should tilt out at the top so your not reflecting a plain ceiling.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.