Houzz Logo Print
roni_lagamjis

Are white kitchen cabinets a trend that is on it's way out?

rolam1
vor 10 Jahren
I've been reading that the white kitchen is on it's way out. Is this true?

Kommentare (26)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think white kitchens are timeless. I installed white cabinets (with an automobile paint finish) in my own kitchen 20 years ago and I still love them.

It seems that most of our clients prefer white.......

I have posted some photos of recent projects that we have done for clients ......I think they are timeless and will still be beautiful in 20 more years.........
    rolam1 hat Lampert Dias Architects, Inc. gedankt
  • Jolene
    vor 10 Jahren
    Timeless.
    rolam1 hat Jolene gedankt
  • rolam1
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    I truly hope so, because I really want one, and I would hate for them to be out of style very quickly!!!
  • rolam1
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    What is a trend with a white kitchen that I should avoid, in order to keep it timeless? I.e., white wall cabinets and espresso island?
  • PRO
    QC Cabinets
    vor 10 Jahren
    White cabinets are very popular. I don't think they will ever be "out".
    rolam1 hat QC Cabinets gedankt
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    vor 10 Jahren
    I may not be 4000 years old but I've been putting in white kitchens for 26 years. In that time I stripped the paint on a 100 year old kitchen and rebuilt its drawers and slides. First coat of paint was white, fifth coat of paint was white. We painted them white. This is the third time I've heard they are on their way out. Nope.
    rolam1 hat Ironwood Builders gedankt
  • elissabi
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think white cabinets are kind of like blue jeans - a classic that never goes out of style. But like certain cuts of jeans, the actual cabinet style/countertop choices can date a kitchen..
    rolam1 hat elissabi gedankt
  • rolam1
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    So, if you don't mind, can you tell me what trends in countertops and backsplash to avoid in order to not date a classic white kitchen. All the kitchens that I gravitate to all have shaker cabinets and light countertops.
  • thealings
    vor 10 Jahren
    Stick with a simple white subway tile backsplash in order to keep your white kitchen timeless.
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    What is on the way out is the impersonal "builder blah" type of white on white kitchen that uses so many "safe" choices that it has no personality. Color, both in backsplashes and cabinets is occupying a larger percentage of market choices than ever. So, what's your favorite color? Use some of that in there so that you are happy every time you walk in the room. And don't be afraid of that HGTV generated bugaboo, "resale". And don't buy into the "timeless" theory either. Nothing is timeless. The appliance choices, door styles, flooring choices, and counter choices will all date a kitchen. The more popular the choice, the more it's likely to be heralded as "dated" down the road. That includes subway tile.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    vor 10 Jahren
    Agreed, white kitchens are timeless.
  • apple_pie_order
    vor 10 Jahren
    Nothing is timeless. If you want something classic, try Shaker style doors. Use lighting fixtures and window treatments for fashion statements.
  • feeny
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    I think there is some confusion here based on how the question has been posed. Is the color white a timeless color for kitchens and cabinetry? Yes. There have been white kitchens in every era in every style. Are particular styles of white kitchens timeless? No. The details and materials used for cabinetry, counters, back splashes, hardware, etc. go in and out of style. However, some (more neutral) design choices are more classic and versatile than others. And in vintage and historic houses, designing a kitchen that is in harmony with the design details of the house will probably be more lasting than a kitchen that pays no attention to those details.
  • rolam1
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks so much for all your responses! I truly appreciate your inputs.
  • soto01
    vor 10 Jahren
    White kitchens are timeless -- cabinetry door styles are what makes the difference in making décor look dated. I think for instance, shaker style doors are found in traditional, transitional, cottage, and craftsman decorating styles. Plain front cabinets are one huge style for modern décor and has been forever and IMO will continue to be. Other details also date the décor in a room (examples: vertical blinds, ruffled curtains, etc.). But in every era there have been white kitchens and will continue to be.
    rolam1 hat soto01 gedankt
  • mbpiche
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like the current trend where white kitchen cabinets are mixed with a accent color cabinet for instance if u have a island that cabinet may be walnut with all surrounding in white
    rolam1 hat mbpiche gedankt
  • qam999
    vor 10 Jahren
    White kitchens have long been popular (100+ years) because they look clean and fresh and wholesome. As long as people want kitchens to look clean, they will be in style, IMO.
    rolam1 hat qam999 gedankt
  • Linda Elbert
    vor 7 Jahren

Two years ago we moved into a condo, we put wood floors, granite countertops new sink . we do have wood cupboards, the first oak cupboards I have had in 30years and I love them, my daughter just had custom wood cupboards natural color and they are gorgeous. Not everyone s sold on white.

• Linda Elbert
    vor 7 Jahren

we love the richness of wood in our house.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    vor 7 Jahren

As above, timeless. Here's a blog post that discusses the attraction and staying power of white cabinets.

• acm
    vor 7 Jahren

The post is three years old. Which sort of answers the original question, but not really why we're at it again...

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    vor 7 Jahren

I posted because I wanted to share a post from our website on the topic. It's a question we get in our showroom all the time. Also, someone with a current project underway may want some info and advice about it.

• PRO
    User
    vor 7 Jahren

White kitchens -timeless. Grey kitchens -fading trend.

• Shelley Sellars-Smith AC-REALTOR
    vor 7 Jahren

I am a RE agent here in Atlanta, GA and I can tell you it wasn't too long ago when you couldn't sell a house with White cabinets and if you had them people would dock you huge with their offers. Like all trends it has a shelf life. Remember not too long ago everyone had to have dark stained wood cabinets? That came and went. I heard stained cabinets are going to make a comeback. I personally think you should do what you love and enjoy your kitchen. I personally love Light Maple with a glaze and also love the Creamy White with a glaze. I will be redoing my cabinets and the island will be Maple glazed and the rest of the cabinets will be the creamy White/glaze. My Kitchen designer friend said this look went out of style years ago. But, I do not care. It's my kitchen! lol I say do what you LOVE and enjoy your cabinets. The only rule I will say to stick too is if you do light cabinets make sure you do darker counters. I think having visual interest with some contrast works no matter what is the "trend" of day. The White on White with Gray will for sure be passe soon.

• Erica Wilder
    vor 6 Jahren

I may do glazed off white cabinets of sort or even those navy blue ones as I want a cottage look and goodness not what everyone has! I don't care about resale...it is my house to love and enjoy while I am alive. Just like fashion...kitchen design choices circle back. This homogenous, be like everybody else mindset is so high school. Enjoy your personal style vs a follower. Btw...all that subway tile hype? Much of it is institutional looking and I will be damned if I am going to install something everyone else has! Our Spring parade of homes is approaching... let's hope there is something fresh vs safe out there. Fall 17' parade contained all the same stuff...white everything...trim, cabinets, doors (bf says never again as impossible to keep clean or dust free as shows everything). We are custom building this spring vs going the cookie cutter builder direction. I hate when ppl walk into a house & say "oh that is just like mine." Ugh.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.