Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

This or That: Leather VS Cushion Couches

Jeannie Nguyen
vor 9 Jahren
Do you prefer having a leather couch or a regular cushion couch?

Vote for your choice below and tell us which type of couch you have in your home. Photos? Post those too!

This or That · Mehr Info

Kommentare (151)

• jergens1211
    vor 9 Jahren
    Krigby needs some tofu...now
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    jergens1211 needs some training in manners...now
  • lilyhammer1
    vor 9 Jahren
    Velvet is warm and ages beautifully. Pillows slide on leather and it always feels cold.
  • rezchick1
    vor 9 Jahren
    Leather here!
  • Katniss Everdeen
    vor 9 Jahren
    Leather because I have dogs and i like to have them curl up on my lap (even though they are HUGE) and so it's easier to swipe away dog hair.
  • bksavy
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'm in the process of making this decision. Quality leather couches are expensive. We don't want cheap either. I have three kids no pets. I don't know what I will do. Maybe dark fabric and leather ottoman and/or club chairs. Don't like matching furniture. Easy to replace either when I'm tired of them. Idk who'll know when. See it and sit on it I guess.
  • PRO
    natembo designers
    vor 9 Jahren
    i like the normal cushion couch...i am a color person...i think the normal cushion couch looks nyc with colors than the leather chairs
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    vor 9 Jahren
    I have both but in different rooms. Cushion couches are more comfy but leather couches are easier to clean.
  • gracey999
    vor 9 Jahren
    okay, I just lied; I thought the question was which would you rather have in your home and I voted for leather. In fact I have cloth but I would prefer leather...sorry
  • K Lyn
    vor 9 Jahren
    Depends a lot on if you need the fabric to absorb sound...yes to fabric if you have an echo.
  • PRO
    jo_mcvicker
    vor 9 Jahren
    If you have a dog, a good grade leather can not be beat. I have a dog and can rub the scratches right out, cleans well and good leather wears beautifully. Down filling for a softer look.
  • Glori Wilness Rantz
    vor 9 Jahren
    @kathyjames, where did you purchase your leather/linen couch?
  • Anina Salerno_Aita
    vor 9 Jahren
    Our two small poodles destroyed two fabric sofas in about 5 years. We have a leather sofa and love seat in our living room now, and although it is certainly not pristine, it is not shredded like the fabric sofas, and when we clean and condition it it looks pretty good. It's not even the dogs who made it look less than new. We got a cream colored leather, and the color has worn away on the upper back cushions, right where the back of your head hits. There are products to restore it, but it's not bad enough to bother. We also have a denim sofa in our "media" room , where the dogs are not allowed. Also very comfy, with thick down cushions. Best sleeping sofa I have ever owned.
  • Sue Strauch
    vor 9 Jahren
    No leather for me. I live in the Phoenix Area, so too hot in the summer. Also have two kitties who know how to use those claws.
  • littlemissk
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would certainly recommend top-grade leather if you want your furniture to last. I have had American made, top grade, leather in my family room for 30 years, a contemporary design ... same furniture for that 30 years. It is a butter colored off white, soft and buttery to the touch and still looks brand new. It is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I simply use warm water and soap to clean it. Spills of any type wipe up easily, even red wine. It will take up to 300 lbs of pressure to pierce it, which has never happened over all these years, even with children jumping on it and three dogs who love to lounge. There are no marks on it anywhere. I've been thinking lately after changing out area rugs, pillows, lamps and paint over the years, I would like to change out the furniture with a different style, but to replace it with the same quality is a small fortune. I've decided I can't give it up knowing I won't find anything as good for a reasonable price. Guess I'll just change a few accent pieces again and be done with it. I'm thinking this furniture is gonna out last me!!
  • abkrol51
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    Does everyone let their pets on the furniture? I have 2dogs and they are never allowed on the furniture, that's why they have their own beds on the floor.
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    I never let the dogs on any furniture, but dog hair doesn't glom onto leather like it does fabric. I have both and if I could only have one it would be leather.
  • janbhan
    vor 9 Jahren
    Not allowed on sofas and beds? Tell that to any dog with his own bed but likes yours better! No amount of shouting will stop a dog (or a cat) sleeping on the best bed available when you are not looking. Preferably with pillows.
  • noriramamohanrao
    vor 9 Jahren
    Cushion sofas are always comfortable in any season . If I bring a pet I shall prefer leather sofa specially for the pet .
  • Carol Senk
    vor 9 Jahren
    When buying leather with pets we were always told to buy the lowest quality because it is more durable. Top grain leather is more processed so tears and scratches easier. Our sofas have lasted wonderfully through 5 large dogs jumping on them and they were the lowest grade. We bought one top grade leather recliner and it is destroyed already. Just make sure it is all leather not bonded.
  • buch381
    vor 9 Jahren
    I have 3 little dogs, but they don't shed. I was leaning toward leather to be able to wipe off paw prints, etc. I was most worried about the nails on the leather. Has Anyone experienced pet nails tearing leather?
  • Ilovecolors
    vor 9 Jahren
    We have leather sofa, leather recliner and fabric side chairs. This is in Florida. When it is warm we have on the AC so never had a problem "sticking"
  • gdholan
    vor 9 Jahren
    Cushions may look more cozy, but leather is much easier to clean and also a plus for reducing allergens.
  • rubydeep
    vor 9 Jahren
    I prefer leather because my husband likes to use the sofa as a bed sometimes. It is more durable too.
  • allamericangroomer
    vor 9 Jahren
    Leather is the only choice for those who have animals in the house. You can clean it easier and more completely. I doesn't hold odors and is so much more durable.
  • buch381
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thanks allamericangroomer! Great, factual answer. Done!
  • llucy
    vor 9 Jahren
    I live in a home with both. I used to prefer fabric, but the leather has held up sooo much better. It almost seems like a waste of money to me now to buy a fabric sofa since they don't 'age well'. My two cats don't seem to like to be on the leather sofa for very long so that's a bonus.
  • Patty
    vor 9 Jahren
    I have a Dark Leather sectional in my Family room and a Fabric 3 piece set in my "Museum" Living room lol No one sits there unless there's a party then we need to use that space. But in the Family room with pets and kids Leather Always! Just easier to clean :-)
  • jenmillion
    vor 9 Jahren
    Anything BUT leather! I dislike always cold to touch, stiff, noisy, furniture. I prefer warm to the touch or at least room temp! Soft, sumptuous, fluffy, enveloping quiet pieces. I like to sit IN my furniture not on it. LOL....but I currently have leather sectional...ugh...hubby won that 1! And it does take a beating! I've tried everything!..lmao
  • sondramartina
    vor 9 Jahren
    Quality leather is soft and pleasant to sit on. Quality leather is not cold ,nor hot .
    Some people are confusing real leather with cheap bonded leather or vinyl ,they don't feel good and they don't last long.
    Same thing with upholstery, quality upholstery can last forever.
    Like with everything else you get what you pay.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    I agree with 'sondramartina'
  • jergens1211
    vor 9 Jahren
    Obviously Jenn has a Leon's or Ashley furniture vinyl/ pleather crap sectional .Jenn don't comment on what you don't know (quality furniture)
  • flashgorden
    vor 9 Jahren
    Selecting furniture for a home is such a personal decision, many factors play into the decision making. All the comments above reflect that, I have to say that leather can be cold as someone commented, but when you use fabrics with texture and color all the fussiness about cold leather disappears. If anyone wants to try a leather furniture piece, stick to top grain leather. Split leather is the cheap stuff and you will regret your buy. Top grain leather like fabric retains its original pores and breathes like fabric does. Don't be fooled by imitation. Do your research and expect to pay more for quality. As for durability and longevity, again that depends on who will be using your couch or chairs. Top grain leather does really well with pets if the leather is a dark color. Light color leathers tend to stain and are more maintenance. Once you have broken in a top grain leather piece, I can guarantee you will never go back to fabric. So if you get bored easily with your fabrics and color schemes like I do. Enjoy changing your pillows and throws year round with leather furniture. This will allow you to change the mood and to reflect your own personal tastes, with little impact to your wallet. Happy shopping and whatever your preference is, its the right choice because YOU made it. All the best from the Heart of Texas.

I did a quick internet search to find a link that will help explain leather myths and truths. Take a quick read on the attached link, its very informative.
    http://phitablelamp.hubpages.com/hub/10-Things-to-Watch-Out-for-When-Shopping-for-Leather-Furniture

I have attached a link below for information purposes on how to become aware of some of the ingredients that are in everyday items that we use. I believe this will enlighten a lot of the comments on this forum about animal products. You will be very surprised about what is in your everyday items. Knowledge is Power!!!
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2010/05/22/animal-products.html
  • sondramartina
    vor 9 Jahren
    Jergens1211
    I hate Leons ,Brick....
    Friends bought the bonded leather sofa (thinking that bonded leather is real thing) and they even purchased the warranty ! In Leons Furniture.
    The sofa seat ripped after just 4 months and Leons did not want to repair or take the sofa back.My friend called them thousand times .True horror story .
  • Joanna Zygo
    vor 9 Jahren
    The problem with leather is that your skin sticks to them during warm days. Also leather means less choice in color and texture.
  • PRO
    The Virginia Gail Collection
    vor 9 Jahren
    Fabric is my preference, but really fine top grain leather feels buttery soft and can be equally inviting.
  • lisbeth55
    vor 9 Jahren
    Leather armchair, cushion sofa!
  • Susan Stricklin
    vor 9 Jahren
    I have both...and a Labrador. Dog hair does not stick to leather. I love the feel and look of leather best. Quality of leather and cushions DOES matter if you plan to use more than 4 or 5 years.
  • PRO
    annsliee
    vor 9 Jahren

For my TV room, I prefer the combination of a leather frame and fabric seat cushions. Love the one that I had custom made.

• A&R bought a ranch
    vor 9 Jahren
    I have leather, the cat has gotten a few scratches in it from his running jumps of love but it's worth it.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren

This is an OLD Post

• badamshoover
    vor 9 Jahren
    Fabric... Meow.
  • jenntorm
    vor 9 Jahren

Top grade, all-the-way-dyed-through distressed leathers are awesome, they feel sumptuous to the touch, and don't make you sweat, but they are expensive. I think leather sofas look more upscale too. Restoration Hardware has some nice looking leather collections I've been salivating over :P. We need to change out our sofas and are seriously considering leather this time around, our good fabric feather stuffed ones lasted 8 years but the fabric is starting to pile, :(,

• PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    vor 9 Jahren

I agree with a lot of what @jenntorm said. Coach leather would be a bit too highbrow for my taste, but distressed would be nice. I voted for cloth, though.

• patrinkac
    vor 9 Jahren
    Had a good tan leather 3 cushion sofa for a long time. Very good looking. I only adopt previously declawed rescue cats. I finally got tired of my decorative pillows slumping and altitude deficient me slumping as well and gave it away where it is still doing its job.

I would measure the seat depth and spend a lot of time sitting on it before I purchase another....and I'm looking to adopt a cat, too.
    Florida Girl
  • brecarroll
    vor 9 Jahren

I love leather with fabric cushions!! best of both worlds, then when the fabric wears just recover the cushions!!

• PRO
    Legacy Ventures, LLC
    vor 8 Jahren

We have a large italian leather sectional that has been through 2 kids and 2 large dogs. It is very comfortable and although slightly worn through the years it just adds to it's character. If we had purchased a cushioned sofa we would have replaced 3 times over by now. Love the look, the cleanliness, and durability.

• noor7654
    vor 8 Jahren
    I like the look of leather, but can't stand the feel when sitting on it.
  • Elizabeth Z
    vor 8 Jahren

I'm not fond of so much brown and the styles of most leather sofas. Hancock and Moore makes some beautiful versions, but some are too deep to comfortably sit in.

• Joan Capobianco
    vor 3 Jahren

I volunteer for animal rescues. I understand people’s views, but not warning people of horrific images is cruel. Simply stating animals are treated cruelly and horrifically is enough. It’s as bad as the smoking commercial effects on tv knowing I can’t get my loved ones to stop. Please leave the graphics on PETA website. Thank you.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.