Houzz Logo Print
kelly_maguire76

On the fence about vinyl plank flooring

Kelly Maguire
vor 9 Jahren

I'm completely redoing a small kitchen (10x10 feet) in a vacation home. The house was built in the mid seventies and hasn't seen much updating since then.

I am trying to decide what to do for the floor in the kitchen. Originally I wanted to do engineered hardwood, but the kitchen floor extends into the laundry room (which also contains the hot water heater). Putting hardwood in a utility/laundry room seems ill advised, and now I'm trying to decide: do I put hardwood in the kitchen and vinyl in the laundry, or spring for a high end vinyl plank that looks like wood and put it in both?

The sample vinyl planks look good, but I'm worried I'll feel differently once it's filling up my kitchen.

Anyone have buyers remorse over theirs? If engineered hardwood is in my budget, is it worth the hassle to do two different floors?

Kommentare (12)

• PRO
    Marroquin Construction Corporation
    vor 9 Jahren

Coronado Guest Quarters · Mehr Info

• Kelly Maguire
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

Thanks. One thing I can't figure out: glue down vs floating. It looks like a lot of what's available in my local big box store is floating. I understand that with floating tile things like my base cabinets need to be installed first. With glue down can I do the whole rectangular floor and then just put the base cabinets on top?

• Anne Burgess
    vor 9 Jahren

What about transitions between other rooms (say, with carpeting?). I've read that thresholds can be an issue.

• PRO
    Marroquin Construction Corporation
    vor 9 Jahren

I have found that properly installed one piece transition
    strips hold up well. A level surface, (6) screws minimum on the hold down tracks per
    36” are key to achieve a proper bond. The “All In One” adjustable profile units tend
    to be flimsy and to delaminate on the seams or fray at the ends. If the application
    permits me I will use solid wood transition strips over other materials.

vor 9 Jahren

I love the high-end vinyl planks we installed in our kitchen--I wouldn't use wood in the kitchen as it could be damaged by a water leak. My only concern is that it can get scratched. My 97 year old mother leans on her walker and has put scratch marks into the floor (we now have tennis balls on the feet that aren't wheels to avoid this). Also, be careful that chairs don't have rough feet--one of these also scratched our floor (assume someone heavy moved it while sitting on it). I do think real wood is hardier, especially since it can be refinished (and scratches/dings can add character and look OK), but wouldn't put in kitchen, bath, laundry, or other rooms that might be subject to flooring from a leaky pipe, etc. (Our kitchen flooded prior to the new flooring when a rat ate a hole in our pvc kitchen drain line, which caused the water, etc., we were putting down the kitchen sink to leak through the wall/cabinets onto the kitchen floor--we thought the dishwasher was leaking! Lucky for us that we really don't use our garbage disposal (we recycle most food stuff).)

• km kane
    vor 9 Jahren
    If you can afford real wood, finished in place, then do that. The thin veneer layers of the floors-in-a-box don't hold up so well. (see note about mom's walker above)
  • PRO
    Fantastic Floors
    vor 9 Jahren

My preference would be for a nice Vinyl plank - I would NEVER put hardwood in a laundry room. A good LVP would be just fine with moms walker ;)

• miacometlady
    vor 9 Jahren
    It perfectly acceptable to have wood in kitchen and tile or laminate in laundry. In fact I'd have some fun in laundry and install a checkerboard!
  • PRO
    Fantastic Floors
    vor 9 Jahren

The checkerboard looks fun =)

• Kelly Maguire
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren

Thanks everyone. We decided to go with floating vinyl plank for now. Down the line we may decide to do the whole house in engineered hardwood - but not today - so I decided wanted something that isn't going to be a nightmare to remove in 5 years. It took us 3 days to get out all the staples from the old kitchen flooring!

• km kane
    vor 9 Jahren

Kelly, sounds like a good choice. And miacometlady had a good optional idea too. Fantastic Floors- HA! I just covered my entire home, except for the shower area, (and yes, including the laundry) with finished-in-place quarter sawn oak. Why be so darned frightened? That's what insurance is for. Ok so it's not a vacation home, the laundry is right off the main hallway, the house is new, and I absolutely abhor transitions between rooms. Call me crazy but I loves me my solid flooring. Totally makes the home.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.