Houzz Logo Print
smoore999

Can I fully tile a bathroom which was half -tiled 10 years ago?

smoore999
vor 9 Jahren
I have a shower-room with lovely shimmery white wall tiles, which I still love 10 years after choosing them. I rergret not getting the room fully tiled at the time, only half tiled.
The room is still in good condition and most of the fittings etc look llike new. I'd like to get it fully tiled now and can still source the tile design, might separate the old from the new with a border tile as an all white box would be too clinical. Can we do the 2nd half of the tiling now (10 yrs later) or will it be obvious top and bottom half not done at the same time? Would the current grout need replaced or could it just be grouted over to ensure a match? Would it even be a problem?

Kommentare (14)

• Nicola Watts
    vor 9 Jahren
    Love your bathroom. Why would you want to fully tile though, might be too much glitz right up to the ceiling. At least you can change the paint colour of the walls when you want a change.
  • PRO
    Midsomer Bathing
    vor 9 Jahren
    From the picture it looks like you have looked after the bathroom.
    I think you would be able to continue the tiles but it would be a good idea to separate the new from old with a small border or tile trim. Grout will look different, you can get a good grout removing tool,or use a multi tool to get it out, it's not easy and is time consuming but probably worth doing. Just be aware of tiles thickness.
    smoore999 hat Midsomer Bathing gedankt
  • korosis
    vor 9 Jahren
    Lovely bathroom. If I were you, i would put a nice wallpaper on the non-tiled walls and perhaps a window curtain or venetian blinds on the window.
    smoore999 hat korosis gedankt
  • crowningfashion
    vor 9 Jahren
    Having always tiled top to bottom I now only tile half way. By doing so it means that the look of a bathroom can be changed relatively cheaply and always be kept up to date. I agree with the comment that it may be too much glitz - but that is up to you. I would suggest that if you fancy a change try painting the walls a deep red. The black floor tiles and the glitter of the wall tiles would truly add to the glamour and sumptiousness. To me your bathroom looks fabulous and just needs a fabulous colour on the walls to really make it sing :)
    smoore999 hat crowningfashion gedankt
  • PRO
    NK interior design
    vor 9 Jahren
    Lovely bathroom. :)
    I think one of good possibilities would be to use mosaic on the boarder of new and old.
    For example to make horizontal mosaic stripe and mosaic mirror frame.
    As for grouting masters certainly would find the way to make it equal.
    smoore999 hat NK interior design gedankt
  • PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    vor 8 Jahren
    Terry has hit then ail on the head. The only thing I could add
    Is that white is such a tricky colour to match up, you won't get the same batch after so many years so they'll always look different.
    smoore999 hat Reed Harris Tiles gedankt
  • PRO
    Ceramic Planet
    vor 8 Jahren

It will look like you have retrospectively added a completely different tile ontop of what you have and will look like a mishmash or worst yet it will look like you ran out of one set and used any old tile to fill in the gap.

smoore999 hat Ceramic Planet gedankt
  • Jonathan
    vor 8 Jahren

It looks great as it is.....don't mess with it

smoore999 hat Jonathan gedankt
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    vor 8 Jahren
    I would redo the whole thing if you want tiles to the ceiling. I do not think it would look good otherwise. would always look likens afterthought
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    vor 8 Jahren
    So fully agree with what others are saying. If you fully tiled this, not only is it old fashioned, but you will never be able to change the colour or look of the bathroom. Please keep half tiles but change the colour of the paint. You could either go vivid, or gentle - there are hundreds of colours out there - Valspar have loads of colours. In 10 years time (or in my case 3 years) when you want a change, simply change the colour, and accentuate with coloured towels.
  • janetgasper
    vor 6 Jahren

I love it just the way it is!

• PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    vor 6 Jahren

Hey, Janet

Maybe you would be interested in personalized shower screen? We can print anything on any kind of flat surface. Have a look at this example:

Sculpture printed on a shower screen · Mehr Info

It is not as expensive as it looks like, mostly depends on the where should we deliver and install it + size.

PS: We offer free design for everyone

• joannemorrison99
    vor 6 Jahren

I like it as it is! I also think fully tiled bathrooms are a little out of date at the moment.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.