Houzz Logo Print
debrawall1

selling home and people complain about the color of cupboards.

Debra Walling
vor 8 Jahren
I remodeled my kitchen and love the quarts counters, stainless backspl etc but people arent liking the cabinets. perhaps bright white paint on walls to pop it? hang pendant lights above island and sink? my friend suggested painting the island a dark chocolate brown...
ideas anyone? ? thanks! !

Kommentare (104)

• Judy Mishkin
    vor 8 Jahren

werent you a busy beaver....

• PRO
    GannonCo
    vor 8 Jahren

A good RE Agent should isolate you from potential buyers comments. Your kitchen isn't run down or pink so it is a nice updated kitchen. Unless you remodeled to sell do not take anything as an insult. You have no idea who the people were, their tastes, age, etc. Blue is specific but not a deal breaker if the house is in the right spot and priced right.

In the end your house will sell on SQFTG and comparable not your blue kitchen.

I sold a house where a young couple called our stainless Sub Zero a cheap looking fridge and they wanted a better name brand. Watch a couple house shows and be blown away with the crazy comments and requests.

Debra Walling hat GannonCo gedankt
  • teamaltese
    vor 8 Jahren
    @wannabath, LOL!
  • Angel 18432
    vor 8 Jahren

wow - your have been busy. Looking forward to pictures.

Debra Walling hat Angel 18432 gedankt
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren

So glad to hear that additional lighting has done so much good. That's awesome! It is probably the easiest "tweek" with the lowest price tag with the fastest/best results possible = home sold quickly.

Debra Walling hat Cancork Floor Inc. gedankt
  • dae e
    vor 8 Jahren

Your kitchen is beautiful and, since you added more lighting and painted walls, that should be enough. Do not paint the cabinets - they are gorgeous!

I would change the rug for a brighter, contemporary one for that last bit of pop - and I love your counter stools! The rug you can take with you!

Debra Walling hat dae e gedankt
  • Marlyn Isher
    vor 8 Jahren
    I love blue cabinets. I wish I had them. Good luck.
    Debra Walling hat Marlyn Isher gedankt
  • Jill Pokryfke
    vor 8 Jahren

You have a beautiful kitchen! I have kitchen envy :) I was going to post/second previous suggestions, but it sounds like you were quick to implement a lot of the ones I agreed with. I would love to see updated pictures! Good luck selling the house!

Debra Walling hat Jill Pokryfke gedankt
  • Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

To All the WONDERFUL, kind and helpful folks on this website, here are the results of our combined efforts!!

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Excuse the darn garbage can!

• apple_pie_order
    vor 8 Jahren

The kitchen looks spectacular now. Those look like professional photos, too. Lighting and staging make a huge difference in photos.

Debra Walling hat apple_pie_order gedankt
  • Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Yes, I had my friend Miguel come and and take pics but I think the lighting made the biggest difference! No staging just took everything out of the kitchen:)

• valeriec
    vor 8 Jahren
    Your "new" kitchen looks amazing! Thanks for posting your after pics.
    Debra Walling hat valeriec gedankt
  • Judy Mishkin
    vor 8 Jahren

it looks great! it still has personality, but any buyer could imagine their items in there!

• thegypsyrover
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Yay for you, debrawall1! Your kitchen looks like it came out of a magazine. Let us know when you sell your house. It should be very soon.

Debra Walling hat thegypsyrover gedankt
  • everdebz
    vor 8 Jahren

Darn nothing mattered cause I went 'wow'! Love the elegant blue and white and silvery look / a bit of wood as accent.....

Debra Walling hat everdebz gedankt
  • PRO
    Susan Sutherlin Designs
    vor 8 Jahren

I would suggest paining the island white and bringing in two pendants over the island. You may also consider recovering the the stools with something with a bright white background.

• rfmoor
    vor 8 Jahren
    I like what you did. the trash can has to get out of there. sends wrong message to buyers. speaking of ... how is that going.
  • eageree
    vor 8 Jahren

BEAUTIFUL ! and so classy

Debra Walling hat eageree gedankt
  • Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

rfmoor- the garbage can was a complete oversight! ugh

SUsan S- I did add two pendant lights over the island, perhaps they are too small!

• Rawketgrl
    vor 8 Jahren

Holy cats your kitchen is awesome. Nice paint and staging. Well except the garbage can...lol...Have you gotten any offers?

Debra Walling hat Rawketgrl gedankt
  • Jill Pokryfke
    vor 8 Jahren
    Looks amazing! Great job!
    Debra Walling hat Jill Pokryfke gedankt
  • tqtqtbw
    vor 8 Jahren

Beautiful!

Debra Walling hat tqtqtbw gedankt
  • Kris Ritter
    vor 8 Jahren
    I would not spend money to recover the bar stools but perhaps find very inexpensive white or silver/ aluminum/stainless ones.
    Great job and new photos make a huge difference!
  • Angel 18432
    vor 8 Jahren

What a difference. Yes the 2 lights are a little small, can you replace them with larger ones (maybe the co will let you return the original ones). Pls keep us posted on progress with sale. Good Luck.

• stlouisgaltoo
    vor 8 Jahren
    Give a modest kitchen remodel allowance as an incentive then the new buyer can decide. Sheesh!
  • stlouisgaltoo
    vor 8 Jahren
    I guess that i am late to the suggestion party.
  • User
    vor 8 Jahren

Sorry but blue cabinets will turn off 90% of your potential buyers. Despite what the polite-won't tell you the truth--Houzzers say. Ask the Real Estate Forum on Gardenweb. They'll tell you the unvarnished truth. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/realestate

• ybxhctq
    vor 8 Jahren

Regardless of the color, your kitchen has a very good footprint, great bones and nothing looks cheap. I'm no realtor, but as a buyer, this kitchen wouldn't be the reason I'd walk away. Even if the blue is too much, it's definitely something someone could live with until they decide on what changes to make. The finishes you selected (countertop, backsplash and appliances) give homebuyers many, many options on cabinets whether it's repainting or selecting a wood stain. Great job debrawall1!!

Debra Walling hat ybxhctq gedankt
  • Judy Mishkin
    vor 8 Jahren

regarding the garbage can, (which i completely understand was an oops); its important for posters in all dilemmas to REALLY look at their pictures before posting. before they ask for advice, take a picture and look at it. its amazing how many questions resolve themselves in 2D that are harder when you are standing in the room.

and don't count on the photographer the real estate agent sends to fix whats wrong. they're happy to leave toilet seats up, blinds mangled, and trash cans in the photo.

• dae e
    vor 8 Jahren

You have done an amazing job - don't do another thing, period! It is stunning with the new pictures posted and the rug removed. Now I can see how beautiful the whole space is. Wish I could buy your house just FOR the kitchen! Much success to reach your larger goal!

Debra Walling hat dae e gedankt
  • suzyq53
    vor 8 Jahren

Great job! So classy!

Debra Walling hat suzyq53 gedankt
  • sunnydrew
    vor 8 Jahren
    I could not believe this was the same kitchen! You did a great job of prepping for sale. Everyone who commented about the staging aspect was right on target. You can't always remodel just to list your home, but you can work with what you have to make the best first impression.
    It is true that not all may like the color of cabinets, but the kitchen is very spacious and functional and it does show every well.
    As good as some Realtors are, they are not stagers or photographers, so do not leave to chance anything. Your friend did a nice job of taking pictures, if you can, take photos in the HDR format which really makes everything look better.
    Be sure to employ all the same gusto and fun with getting the rest of your home looking as great.
    Good luck with the sale!
    Debra Walling hat sunnydrew gedankt
  • netshoppr
    vor 8 Jahren

Personally - I love your cabinets. What a unique and special kitchen you have. I wouldn't change one single thing.

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Thank you!! It sold in one day:)

• Maureen
    vor 8 Jahren

Congratulations!! Blue cupboards and all - lol.

• er612
    vor 8 Jahren

This makes me so happy and it's not even my house! You must be ecstatic! As a bonus, now you have pictures that highlight all of the work that you put into remodeling and the finishes that you chose. It really looks fantastic.

• thegypsyrover
    vor 8 Jahren

I'm so happy for you, debra! Good luck in your new home. Let us know how that goes.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    vor 8 Jahren

Yah! Blue Kitchen staged to sell! Gone in 1 day! Awesome!

• PRO
    Green Enterprise
    vor 8 Jahren

If you resprayed off white in a catalyzed conversion, finish with mostly clean antiquing stain & a stain clear cat conversion varnish. It would be an amazing upgrade. In my opionion.

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

Totally not my problem anymore:)! Somebody else bought it and loves it!

• PRO
    Design Line Works, LLC
    vor 8 Jahren

How great for you! Someone loves it as you must have to be so bold with your cabinet color. Congratulations!

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

I have a new problem with my new home, Old, and don't want to make a mistake with the countertops...Carrerra marble and paint cabs white?

• thegypsyrover
    vor 8 Jahren

Debra, why don't you start a new thread so that people will see your new dilemma with a current date? You will get much more help that way.

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

I did three times and only had two comments in two days. I must be doing something wrong!

• Judy Mishkin
    vor 8 Jahren

bump them up then... just comment 'bump' and they'll come to the top again.

• Debra Walling
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

you're awesome, thanks!

• PRO
    Urbana Kitchens ~ Ellen Crystal ~ Designer
    vor 8 Jahren

Be careful of a large scale countertop pattern. With the size of the counters there would be multiple seams. The big veins would stop and start which could be quite jarring.

Go to a stone yard and see the slabs. Show photos of kitchen and scaled layout. Ask for a stone overlay to show you how the stone would be cut.

Then and only then undertake changing the tops. If the stone people are not willing to do this for you, don't hire them. The investment for this size kitchen would be considerable so you really need to do your homework on this.

Also, consider the properties of marble. They can be damaged by acid products like vinegar, wine, Coke and lemons. Some folks are quite vigilant and wipe up quickly so no issues. If left overnight you will see a mark.

You our coukd also look at quartzite which is natural. It is light and subtle veining. Also as mostly Quartz rock a little less fussy.

Engineered stone like ceasarstone or Cambria coukd also be consideration.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.