Houzz Logo Print
houzzukpolls

POLL: Open-plan or closed layout?

HouzzUK Polls
vor 8 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 8 Jahren

Open-plan layouts are very, very popular, and for good reason. They're a great way to maximise space, whether you have a big or a small home.

However, tearing down walls can be expensive and some homeowners prefer to leave the smells and mess behind in the kitchen, so a closed layout is a better option for them.

What do you prefer - open or closed layouts?

Other - tell us below!

Kommentare (22)

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

I agree, I like both too. If the kitchen is large enough then keep it enclosed. However, if you are battling with space, then certainly open it up.

• PRO
    Louise Richardson-Vine
    vor 8 Jahren

I've lived with both and have to say I prefer open plan. This might be because I've lived with two enclosed galley kitchens where it's been a struggle for two people to be cooking/washing up etc. at the same time and is unsociable when you have guests over. I also like that with open plan the fridge is never too far from the sofa...

• SSR
    vor 8 Jahren

Open plan is definitely more visually appealing but it can be a problem when cooking. You might not be able to get the smell out of the cloth furniture or carpet.

• rmmul
    vor 8 Jahren

With 2 teenage sons a fully open ground floor wouldn't work for us. So while I like the look of open plan sometimes it can more practical to have separate living areas. We do have an open kitchen dining living area which is great for entertaining and having the whole family in but they still each have their own areas (albeit compact!) to retreat to. 2 of our other rooms have double doors which can be opened out to create nearly a fully open ground floor though- maybe the best of both worlds!!

• Olena Tkach
    vor 8 Jahren

A separate kitchen is a must for our family because I often cook when everyone is sleeping, so I need closed doors in order to be able to use blenders and mixers and even chop products with a knife.

Another must-have is a separate kids room as it allows both do not disturb a kid when it's sleeping and avoid Lego blocks and RainbowLoom bands all over the house.

Everything else (dinning, watching movies, hobbies, resting and chatting) may be incorporated into one open layout to allow easier communications between family members.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren
    It depends on how big your kitchen is. I had a galley kitchen and had I not been able to afford an extension I would definitely have had to have knocked a wall down to prevent my blood pressure from becoming fatal! So as long as rooms are big enough I prefer closed rooms. How on earth do you get away from the 'maddening' crowds otherwise!
  • biscuitaandcrumbs
    vor 8 Jahren
    I've always had a separate kitchen area, of which I prefer, but at the same time open plan is lovely if you have a lot of space.
  • Juliet Docherty
    vor 8 Jahren

Loved open plan until I have had to endure 5000 episodes of Spongebob whilst trying to enjoy a quiet coffee in the kitchen.....

• Jackie Hales
    vor 8 Jahren
    Ideally both, big kitchen, diner and family space for sharing with another separate dining & lounge. Well I can but dream
  • margretg2
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

One of the arguments for open plan is that it's more visually appealing and makes the space look larger. I agree that it can look visually appealing in carefully-wrought design photos where everything is perfect. But if it's not perfect? If there are dirty cups on a counter (come on, we all produce those) a mess of toys on the floor, the remains of someone's artistic/craft effort on a table instead of a tastefully arranged vase and two books, it's a different story. And does it really make the space look larger? Ask any trained gardener which looks bigger - an open space or a sequence of rooms (try visiting the famous Hidcote - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hidcote/ ) and the answer will always be that a space looks larger when the eye cannot see everything at once. Smaller rooms with mirrors can look double their size.

• Tina
    vor 8 Jahren

I live in a traditional Victorian terraced house which had the hall/living room/dining room knocked through by a previous owner. This aspect is open plan and is bright, large and very usable for a young family. However, the kitchen is the standard small but perfectly formed galley. This combination offers the best of both worlds - I can keep my on the children and chat with visitors in the living room or at the dining table while cooking but can close the door to block food smells and visible mess. Perfect :-)

• Jan Johnson
    vor 8 Jahren

Had bad experience with open plan when family was young. The noise from the kitchen interferred with TV watching and yes the cooking fumes went throughout the house.

• margretg2
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Jan Johnson, I agree. Cooking fumes are always going to be a problem in open-plan living. Extractor fans get fancier but even some experts agree they're not that efficient. And even if they are, they're usually placed over the hob. What about the oven? Most ovens - Agas are an exception - blow the smells straight back into the kitchen. Very nice if you're baking bread or cakes; not so good for roast meat or anything containing onions.

Like most things in interior design (flush-faced doors, blocked off Victorian fireplaces, fake-stone chimney breasts, feature walls) open-plan is a fashion. When it falls out of favour, we'll all be putting back the stud walls the previous owners demolished.

• Karin Madgwick
    vor 8 Jahren
    In Australia open plan is the way to go, with this space then opening out onto a covered alfresco
  • PRO
    EZ-PLANS
    vor 8 Jahren

Open plan is the way forward !!

• PRO
    Redwood Home Improvements Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

Open plan creates a much better living space

• Wendy White
    vor 8 Jahren

Open plan ensures that you use ALL your space... do you have a room that doesn't get used because it feels shut off from the rest of the house?... solution...open plan living. (excluding bathrooms of course!).

• PRO
    Coats Architecture
    vor 8 Jahren

Open plan works best if the space is flexible and environment controlled to suit user

• PRO
    The Inclusive Home
    vor 8 Jahren

I generally prefer open plan from a flexibility and accessibility point of view, but it is nice sometimes to zone or separate some areas depending on the home and how you like to use it

• PRO
    Amber Building (NW)Ltd
    vor 8 Jahren

Open plan mordern way of living

• PRO
    Avalon Antique Fireplaces
    vor 8 Jahren

open plan trust me !

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.