Houzz Logo Print
janjigian

Large tiles in a small bathroom?

janjigian
vor 11 Jahren
I love the large (minimum grout lines) tile look in the bathrooms. My bathroom is relatively small, 6' by 10', in a beach house. I am thinking of using light tile 18x18'' or so both on the floor and wall. Is that going to look nice in a small space?

Kommentare (17)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    vor 11 Jahren
    Do you have any pictures of links of the tile you are thinking of using ?
  • janjigian
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    http://houzz.com/ideabooks/6962505.
    Here is the link to the type of bathroom I am interested in.
  • janjigian
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    vor 11 Jahren
    You can use floor tiles on the wall as long as they come with a bullnose tile to match. In the picture above I can't tell what they used to finish the unfinished edges of the tile. If it's a natural stone tile the edges can be bullnosed with a grinding wheel that fits on a wet saw.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    vor 11 Jahren
    We've done large format tiles in small baths. It helps if the tile is not too busy visually, though the last one was a fairly figured travertine (it still worked). Edges of natural stone can be bullnosed, as Norm says, or polished with a diamond disc on a mini-grinder...or cut at a 45 degree angle and set with a mitered return. Most large format tiles are either stone or porcelain. Unless there is a trim to set along the vertical edge of the shower tile, porcelain would need a mitered return.
  • cani
    vor 11 Jahren
    Forgot to add that we ran a 14 inch or 16 inch wide row of glass tiles vertically right in the spot behind the fixtures.
  • soesoe
    vor 11 Jahren
    I have no problem with larger tiles in a small bath. One bath I did is just 5 X 8 and we used 12X24 on the floor, shower and one accent wall inside the shower using 1X2 glass. It looks great and is easy to clean.
  • PRO
    SunHouse Designs
    vor 11 Jahren
    you can also use Schluter strips to finish the edges of the tiles. gives a very clean edge.
  • janjigian
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Thanks for he feedback it would be great to see some pics.
  • PRO
    Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
    vor 11 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 11 Jahren
    Short answer is "yes" Its going to look great. Light colored tiles vs dark color will keep the appearance of a larger bathroom. This bathroom is 10' x 5'9" with 18"x18" travertine tiles
  • PRO
    vor 11 Jahren
    Same bathroom with the same color tiles used on the shower walls. Tiles were cut in half. 9" x 18" with a 33% stagger
  • Beverly Hullender
    vor 11 Jahren
    It will look awesome! I like what the contractor did above, and even if you don't want to cut the tiles, it still looks great. Gives you the illusion of a much larger space as well.
  • janjigian
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    Agreed! Thanks for the encouragement! Any thoughts on rectangular vs square tile? I plan to use porcelain tile that has the feel of a natural stone from Lowes's or Home Depot. Visually I prefer the rectangular tiles. Do these come ready or have to be cut by the installer? Thx!!
  • PRO
    vor 11 Jahren
    Homeowners wanted the shower tiles to match the floor. Couldn't locate any large rectangular tiles in the flavor they wanted. I suggested cutting the tiles that were used on the floor. Had them cut in just a couple of hours. They loved the solution. I prefer the rectangular also. Both stagger pattern and grout inline pattern look nice. This one, the corners are " bookmatched". If you were to try and cut rectangular pieces from a large square piece of porcelain you'll find that the cut edge won't be as clean as a cut edge on a soft natural stone. This will be noticeable on a 1/16" to 1/8" grout joint when the grout is complete. 1/16" grout joint was used in this shower and 1/8" on the floor. Anyway, try to find a large rectangular porcelain tile
  • cani
    vor 11 Jahren
    The rectangular tiles are readily available if you go to a tile store rather than lowes or Home Depot and they come in all price ranges. What state are you in?
  • janjigian
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 11 Jahren
    I am in Long Island New York. Will check out Central Tile?
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.