Houzz Logo Print
danisimmonds

Side return kitchen - island or peninsula layout!?

Dani Jackson
vor 8 Jahren

We are having a side return extension in our Victorian Terrace, with the kitchen placed at the back (so the living space opens onto the garden at the front via bi-fold doors). BUT we can't decide between a C shaped kitchen with peninsula or an island. We also then need to decide where we'd place furniture in the living area. We have a young toddler so want it nice and open with a play space for her. Any ideas / thoughts greatly appreciated! Many thanks

Kommentare (17)

• Dani Jackson
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren

P.s dimensions are 383mm across and 875 long at the longest point.

• Ash McGregor
    vor 8 Jahren
    Personally I'd go with the U configuration as I think it makes better use of the space. I'd consider a deeper peninsula and also try and get both hob and sink against the wall if feasible to free up worktop space
  • PRO
    Kitchen Co-Ordination
    vor 8 Jahren

The U shape closes up the room - definitely go for the island - will open up the space

• PRO
    Gaetan Richard
    vor 8 Jahren

I Like both option but would go with the island, it mean that you could also have two different worktop (granite or corian where the sink is and wood on the rest)

• Amanda Shiach
    vor 8 Jahren
    I much prefer option 2 , however, to maximise the space overall I would try and remove the sink from the island and allow the island to have more overhang sides to become the dining table too with tucked away stools. The island would do double duty as your prep area which is at a different time to eating. As your toddler grows she can sit and draw alongside you working.
    The sink option in the peninsula (option 1) is always going to create splash so is not great for seating at the same time.

If for space you have to have an appliance on the island consider moving it to the LH corner near the FF so you have more useable space alongside it, or swapping it for anyone induction hob which would be almost seamless in the space and cools quickly and cleans easily.

Your remaining area can then have a sofa and a couple of small chairs, and some shelving near the doors to accommodate toys in baskets which pull off easily for access and clear away quickly.
  • Jonathan
    vor 8 Jahren

I think that you should try moving the tall units to the other end of the L. You could also replace the American fridge with an integrated Fridge/freezer that will use up less space.

Then put a dresser unit on the opposite side of the kitchen.

I think that loosing the island will make it feel bigger and make is easier to place furniture

• PRO
    OnePlan
    vor 8 Jahren
    There's a lot more than just these two possibilities !

If you know you will be purchasing from a particular studio, ask if you can book some one to one time with the designer to thrash out the design until it's perfect just for you...

If you want to shop around - consider a hiring a freelance designer (like me ) so you can get this working right for you .

You are investing a lot of money into this - it's warrants the attention to detail at the design stage !!!
  • Dani Jackson
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks everyone. We think the island too now after a weekend of marking out the space with masking tape!
  • Sarah W
    vor 7 Jahren
    Did you ever post finished pictures Dani? We are thinking through the same thing at the moment!
  • Sarah W
    vor 7 Jahren
    It looks fantastic! How have you found the island? I think that's what we are going to go for too! Thank you for sharing!
  • Dani Jackson
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Loving the island thanks. Feels really open. We dropped the ceiling height when it's non kitchen to differentiate spaces/zones for dining v's kitchen. We haven't got round to buying stools for island yet and not sure we will, with the dining table being so near and a toddler who likes to run around it!
  • Anita
    vor 7 Jahren
    Your kitchen is lovely!

Would you mind sharing where you got your pendant lights please?

Thank you
    Anita
  • Dani Jackson
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Hi Anita. They are from Heals
  • Chris L
    vor 7 Jahren
    Hi Dani,

Looks great! Where did you get your kitchen from if you don't mind me asking? Love the colour of the island with the white work top (is it quartz?)
  • Dani Jackson
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Hi Chris. It's from Howdens but we had the island sprayed (it's F&B Downpipe) as I wanted 2 colours. The worktop is a Unistone Quartz - Bianco Carra. Hope that helps.
  • Hannah
    vor 7 Jahren

Hi, how many sq metres is the space now?

thanks

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.