Houzz Logo Print
phan_christinel

Update and character PLEASE!

Stine
vor 8 Jahren
Hi all! This is my first home, it's a townhome and I love it. However, I would like to add character and steer it away from the cookie cutter style. I love the traditional/farm house style, but I'm weary that it'll look weird for this townhomes. Thoughts and suggestions on updates and character for my home?

Kommentare (11)

• PRO
    MD Home Repair
    vor 8 Jahren

Congratulations on your new home!

My first thought is to add siding accents!

This could be added as an accent behind kitchen island/bar area, on side of stairs, and surrounding fireplace (first picture). Many different style options for siding and can really make the space unique!

• Stine
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    I guess the tiles in the kitchen is a bit dated, huh? lol
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 8 Jahren

I would be a bit careful to not go crazy with farmhouse feel as it probably would not be good for resale. The first thing I would do is remove the pot rack and flourescent light fixture and get some good LED pots installed or at least a track light , The back splash could be changed but change the counter at the same time to something less white , this is a small kitchen so spring for some cambria quartz and then a simple subway tile backsplashthis space is too small to handle too much stone on the walls. Get rid of the hideous brass chandalier and get one more in the style you like .something with black iron .Things that are removable can be more in keeping with the style you like , so area rugs , dining table, art just don’t go crazy keep it simple but a few added things will make it feel better

• Stine
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Thanks Tammy! I love the bead idea! I'm curious of how difficult it may be, it seems like a great DIY project. I like the reclaimed wood idea but I'm afraid it'll look weird for the two level island. I'll definitely check some pictures out first!
  • Kellie Zach
    vor 8 Jahren
    Congratulations on your new home. I love the fireplace. I understand how uou would like to update it a bit and make it your own. Some inexpensive updates would be paint and new light fixtures, which can be expensive but don't have to be. Check out Lowes and Home Depot for light fixtures to replace the chandelier and kitchen light. I would consider taking down the pot rack since it makes the kitchen look smaller. After the lighting, I would get a stainless fridge since the huge black fridge absorbs all the space in the room. A little more money, I would replace the counters with granite. my favorite, which isn't too expensive, is fantasy brown. I think you are right that country farmhouse might not work in this space, I would keep it more modern. Unless this is your forever home. If you plan to resale eventually, find ways to update that are less taste specific. Have fun and enjoy your new home!
  • Stine
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    You're absolutely right, Patricia. I certainly want to resale in the future so I shouldn't go too crazy. The chandelier is definitely, I just haven't removed it. So I suppose the kitchen tiles won't be fitting? I was thinking of light grey soapstone countertops in the long future but besides that, I'm a fan of white kitchens, do you think that'll be a better balance and reduce some of the white? I thought about light, airy curtains throughout the house and light grey paint also, thoughts?

Thanks so much for your thoughts!! :-)
  • Kellie Zach
    vor 8 Jahren
    I love soapstone as well but found it expensive and not as durable as granite. Here is the Fantasy Brown.
  • kkaccordion
    vor 8 Jahren
    Paint can do wonders & it's an easy & inexpensive way to make changes. Your home is really lovely. Great layout. Congrats!
  • scad4
    vor 8 Jahren
    Congrats on your first home! The obvious has been stated: remove the chandelier and fluorescent light/pot rack. Replace them with more updated fixtures.
    Other easy ideas to update your space:
    1. Paint is an inexpensive way to change the look of a space.
    2. Add corbels/brackets under the bar countertop.
    3. Change the backsplash to something brighter. Many tiles are available for $10-$15 sf including some with stainless to add shine.
    4. There are some great DIYs for adding wainscoting to a room using slats of wood and paint.
    Good luck and happy choosing!
  • Stine
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hey all! Thanks for all of the suggestions. My favorite thing about your suggestions is that they are all inexpensive DIY's. The fridge and countertops are on my to do list in the future, but for now, I will stick with the paint, light fixtures, and back splash. I've heard that Home Depot offers classes, so I'll definitely look into it. I'm leaning towards an extremely light greyish blue paint for the living room and kitchen. What do you all think?
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.