Houzz Logo Print
africarising

Deck design and exposed bolts

africarising
vor 7 Jahren
We are having a new deck built (using brown azek for decking and white railing ). Unbeknownst to us the contractor built it so that the bolts are showing on the side. We think this will be an eyesore from our backyard. To rectify this the contractor wants to stain the outside framing for $450.

Is this design normal? Any ideas on lessening the eyesore of the bolts? Finally is $450 expensive for this staining (20 feet)

Kommentare (13)

• Sammy
    vor 7 Jahren

Have the contractor cover the rim joists? (band joists?) with Azek trim boards.

• Sammy
    vor 7 Jahren

I LOVE the whitewashed brick, btw; it's absolutely charming!

• Kivi
    vor 7 Jahren
    Why doesn't he just undo the nuts and feed the bolts back the other way so that the smooth head of the bolt is on the outside?
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    vor 7 Jahren

The only way you can guarantee to not see exposed hardware on a deck is to pay to have the whole thing wrapped in wood or composite trim material. It's a heck of a lot more than $450 though, so you need to decide what fits your budget.

Your beam is required to either be carried by a galvanized or stainless steel post cap (which is way more visually jarring) or it has to sit in a notch in the post and be thru-bolted with a pair of bolts. This is what is required so your deck doesn't fall down go boom. The only alternative might have been to do a beam under the joists (like the intermediate beam) and set it back from the end of the deck by a foot or two. But with those basement windows, anything that blocks light is less than desirable. I agree with your builder that an in-line beam at the outer edge is the right choice.

• User
    vor 7 Jahren

I agree with redoing the bolts so the smooth end shows. As far as the staining, why not do it yourself and then see if the $450 would have been worth it or not.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 7 Jahren
    Also counter sink the bolts so they are flush with the rim joist.
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    vor 7 Jahren

@ Ultimate Hardwood wouldn't there be a concern on the inspector's part that countersinking into a beam changes the load capacity? assuming it's a (2) 2x beam, countersinking it 1/2 to 3/4" is a significant change. I don't know as that I've ever seen anyone countersink the bolts holding a beam.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    vor 7 Jahren

@Revolutionary Gardens

This is a 6x6 post it's hard to tell from the picture (but it looks like the post was notched which is the industry standard this way the girder is fully supported by being seated on the post, instead of hanging from it and the bolts provide support to girder from moving outward.

• mendys
    vor 7 Jahren

flip the bolts around so the nuts are on the inside. Rather than countersink, just paint the exposed bolt heads, say matte black.

• PRO
    Cusano Construction Company Inc.
    vor 7 Jahren

Pad out the exterior joist and install decorative rim board. Long run you will be happier then staining, plus it gives it a much more finished look.

• africarising
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 7 Jahren
    Thanks for all the comments. My wife doesn't want a white rim board so we decided to stain it a similar color as the decking. (The bolts were put in with smooth part out).
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 7 Jahren
    @revoltionarygardens if you have the right impact it will sink the bolts/lag bolts/carriage bolts all by itself. All the deck builders in my area so they don't catch and or rust.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.