Houzz Logo Print
staceypaul4

Putting overhead lighting in a shallow ceiling - help, please!

staceypaul4
vor 6 Jahren

We live in a 1920's tudor with a living room that has wooden beams running across the ceiling. Turns out, those beams are structural and load-bearing, and the ceiling that exists in the bays between them is too shallow to accommodate any lighting fixture - including high hats (regular and slim) or a chandelier. The room is dim and we need something; sconces feel too medieval and won't throw enough light anyway. I could do a bunch of standing lamps but would love some sort of ceiling solution. Any ideas ASIDE from dropping the ceiling a few inches? Thanks!

Kommentare (11)

• apple_pie_order
    vor 6 Jahren

photos?

• PRO
    R S W / Studio - Custom Lighting Design
    vor 6 Jahren

If you're interested, I design and make all types of fixtures in several finishes and configurations, I could make custom ones for you; feel free to contact me for a quote.

Feel free to browse my lighting fixtures all of them can be customized to your requirements.

staceypaul4 hat R S W / Studio - Custom Lighting Design gedankt
  • PRO
    Cusano Construction Company Inc.
    vor 6 Jahren

Several different shallow recess cans available.

• staceypaul4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Adding photos of the ceiling... (and thanks for all of the helpful responses!)
  • staceypaul4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Retro Steam Works - thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about cable lighting, and my electrician mentioned it, but the house has a really traditional feel (think wood and iron), and I think the contrast would be too stark.

• simstress
    vor 6 Jahren
    So you can't get a j box installed in the bays?
  • staceypaul4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    What's a j box?
  • User
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

Cans in a historic Tudor are about as appropriate as a tutu on a gorilla. You need to add lights all right, but those need to be up lights from below and lamps on tables. Look at how Buckingham Palace is lit. Lamps everywhere.

Get a designer involved who has a love for old homes before you remuddle this one irredeemably and lose all of the value in the home. Old homes are all about restoration of original details. Ruin the originality, and you've ruined the house value.

• staceypaul4
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Thanks, Sophie. Sound advice.
  • gtcircus
    vor 6 Jahren
    One suggestion, I had a similar issue in my old home and could only light the four corners of the room, but what a difference it made. I too concur that this could turn south on you without proper design help. There are LED lights now available that can be retrofitted, but again I would not do anything to ruin the charm of the room. In the room in question I painted the ceiling in your eyes blue by BM and it also helped with the light issues.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.