Houzz Logo Print
beclb

Unbalanced Bathroom

beclb
vor 6 Jahren
we just finished tiling and upgrading our vanity, However, the new vanity is creating a cramped look on the wall. What can w doing to help it lion balanced?

Kommentare (17)

• Katbv Vero
    vor 6 Jahren
    Yes it looks crowded but I think if you purchase a toilet the same white as the porcelain, it would not be noticed as much. I would put something tall in the corner to help balance the look, good luck!
  • quasiexpert
    vor 6 Jahren

I suppose it's too late now, but I would think a slightly smaller vanity on the perpendicular wall would've been more visually pleasing.

• beclb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Quasiexpert, great idea but we didn't build this house.
  • Carly Schwanz
    vor 6 Jahren

The vanity is too large for that space, sadly. I know you probably wanted the extra counter space and storage, but if you would have gone with a smaller 24" cabinet it would look great!

I guess you could do something like wallpapering the wall to the right of the toilet. That would add some heaviness to that side of the room.

• typeandrun
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

WHITE round bowl toilet instead of elongated
    Wider mirror to extend over toilet OR round or oval mirror over vanity only

• dyliane
    vor 6 Jahren

you should leave more space between the vanity and toilet

• gtcircus
    vor 6 Jahren
    You can get a part for the toilet that will shift it over by about 4 inches, this happens a lot.
  • gtcircus
    vor 6 Jahren
    It's called an offset toilet flange
  • katinparadise
    vor 6 Jahren

Measure the distance from the end of your vanity to the middle of the toilet seat. It should measure 15" to meet code. If it is less than that, I would say you would either have to move the toilet so that you have the 15" on each side or install a smaller vanity.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    vor 6 Jahren

If you get offset flange you still have to break the floor, so you might as well move the pipe over. All you have to do is replace a few tiles doing that, it's not a big deal if there are no joists in the way, so just before you break up your floor, take the toilet off and make sure the floor joist will not be an issue.

That being said, this should have been noticed ahead of time when laying out a vanity, there is a rule of thumb every toilet should have a min 30" in width with a flange located 15" on center.

• beclb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    @gn builders, We're aware of the "rule of thumb" but our realtor said that doesn't honestly matter, in our area, as long as the potential buyer isn't needing the bathroom ADA accessible. We went with a smaller vanity and are very happy with it
  • User
    vor 6 Jahren

15" center to any obstruction for a plumbing fixture is a national building code. Your realtor lied to you. It DOES matter. Big time. The vanity was a mistake. It is too large and needs to be replaced. With a better, more functional, choice that contains drawers.

• katinparadise
    vor 6 Jahren

Beclb, your realtor is wrong. IBC does not have anything to do with ADA compliance. If you go to sell your house, any inspector is going to catch the issue, especially if you have an FHA buyer. They're going to make you fix it to comply with code. I just replaced two vanities and even the cabinet installer measured to be sure they would meet code before they were installed.

• beclb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren
    Stephanie, drawers aren't our style. but thank you. We'll put a cheap pedestal sink in when we move in to
    do year. ;)
  • PRO
    Cusano Construction Company Inc.
    vor 6 Jahren

@beclb, Typical Realtor suggestion. You needed a smaller vanity. Its not the fact of ADA or not, its code for toilet clearance.

• felizlady
    vor 6 Jahren
    Where I live, there is a space requirement between the vanity and the commode. You could have used a narrower vanity cabinet and extended the counter with a narrow shelf over the toilet between the vanity and the adjacent wall. This appears to be a powder room, so drawer storage may not be necessary. I would place a trash receptacle on the floor in the empty space and hang a towel bar for hand towels above it on the side wall.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.