Houzz Logo Print
loriandrandy

Avoid Rubio Monocoat if you have a dog!!

Randy Nash
vor 6 Jahren

There is something we learned the hard way about Rubio Monocoat finishes for wood floors. If you have a dog, his saliva will leave a permanent stain on the floor that can only be removed by refinishing that area. UGH.

Our floor has grey dog saliva polka dots all over it, after just a few months. BOO.

Kommentare (95)

• dmagar
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

I spent $33,000 refinishing my entire house with Rubio Monocoat Fume. Love the look. However the product is terrible and does not work. Within 1 week, my kitchen floors were spotting near the sinks. Water spots left on the floor discolored it. Prior to choosing Rubio, I read their product specifications and called their office in Texas. I read and was told that product can be used in kitchen. Wrong!! Spotting and discoloration after 1 week. Further the company does not stand behind their product.

• RegularClouds
    vor 5 Jahren

Spotting and discoloring after one week? The floors are supposed to 'set up' for one week according to the specs written out all over the place. Even with the hardener you're warned to keep them water free for a week (longer if the hardener is not used!?!? No wonder there's a spot ) I saw two tiny spots in your photos but the photograph are so muted I'm not sure if they're even spots, but I'll say they are. Yet, if you didn't follow instructions I'm not sure what they were supposed to do. And, by the way, you say they didn't stand by their product...can you give details? That's kinda vague. I would really appreciate it as I'm planning on using this for my flooring and I need specifics before I make the plunge.

• RegularClouds
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

dmagar I was concerned and I checked to make sure. I found this on the product specs / application page of monocoat.us.

CARING FOR THE FLOOR

During the first week it is advisable to only clean with a vacuum cleaner or a dust

mop fitted with a dry cloth. Do NOT use a damp cloth!

During the second and third week a damp cloth soaked in clean water and wrung

out thoroughly can be used with due care.

After 3 weeks (1 week for 2C Oil A & B) the floor can be maintained..........

dmagar It would appear if all this problem you see happened within the first week, it's due to a failure to comply. Again, if I'm wrong, please state specifics, I'm trying to decide whether to go with this product and so far, the complaints have all been non-specific or due to failure to comply. Thanks.

• Matt Marrocco
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi all-

Thank you for all the helpful comments/discourse here! This is a stressful and complicated issue, and I had to share our experience.

A couple notes:

• We are in our second home with a Rubio floor and I am 98% the spotting issue is due to the color we chose that is interacting w our dogs' saliva
    • Our dog drools after he eats, sometimes excessively
    • My comments here are from experience w Rubio both in DIY and Pro-application contexts

In our prior home, we chose Havanna finish on red oak floors. We were brand new parents on limited budget so I did the floors myself with YouTube and a more experienced friend as a guide (sure to get some pro eye rolls here, but I truly obsessed about the correct methods and tools in this job). I had a lot to learn about sanding but overall it was a semi-decent job and we received lots of compliments about the floors from guests.

Result below:

Our dog was always drooling and regurgitating onto these floors, and the *only* area where we noticed a spot from his drool was near his crate from several different instances of drooling. We also experienced a spot in one area due to a white vinegar spill, so we spot-sanded, water-popped and re-applied the Rubio as dictated in the instructions. Overall, the Rubio in this home held up amazing to the wear and tear of a 2 year old and a dog, despite my n00b application job.

Once we moved into our current home, using Rubio for the floors was a no-brainer due to our great prior experience with it. As well, my wife was pregnant so low VOC was must-have. Although I was proud of the DIY floor job I had done in our previous home, I swore that I would budget for a pro next time as the rookie mistakes bugged me constantly over time.

We found a local pro who had great reviews, and good history in business. He seemed a bit more experienced using another finish type, but confident to apply Rubio as well. He did mention that he gets complaints about Rubio, but since we had a great prior experience w Rubio, we weren't dissuaded (we never actually asked what the complaints were, although he didn't specify either).

I have to mention - after a thorough search online, this thread is the *only* place with some real discussion about Rubio/dog drool.

We went with Rubio 5% White and the result (pics below) was a gorgeous beige-pink on our red oak.

Almost instantly, however, we noticed black spots appearing anywhere our dog drooled (pics below). We even experienced a puppy poop accident that stained the floor completely after only a couple hours, and wouldn't even come up w a cleanser. Before we used a cleaning solution that somewhat worked, we tried a baby wipe and actually rubbed the finish off! :0

I called Rubio for support, and as mentioned by many before me, they were *literally* no help. He couldn't have sounded less interested in providing a resolution to our issue. He did mention the pH of our dogs' saliva being the cause, but other than that it was a big shoulder shrug.

I have to think at some point there will be a class-action lawsuit against this company for not providing accurate and explicit warnings about the product. They sell a Tannin remover product which appears to be what we need, but at $82 per .5L it feels like a cash grab to me? The other Rubio cleaners are equally *outrageously* priced, but in the end it is our fault for investing in what is ultimately a finicky and high-maintenance problem product.

Unfortunately we will not be investing in Rubio again, nor will we be recommending to others. It is unfortunate, bc we love the matte appearance and green nature of this product.

Thanks again for all the comments and discourse here. Will follow the thread

• Nancy Hendrix
    vor 5 Jahren

Matt

I'd have to agree with that law suit. Who on earth has the time or patience to resand and redo their floors after this mess? I was one of the original responses to Mary Elizabeth and it seems Regular Clouds or whomever insinuated that she was trying to miss lead other viewers. She is not. She sent me information just as I requested. I just haven't had the time or patience or financial flexibility to crawl recoat the darn floors with another product. You are most likely correct as my floor were stained Cotton White. The lighter colors seem to be more easily stained, but I would never use this product again.

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 5 Jahren

Please don't anyone get your hopes up. There will never be a class action lawsuit against Rubio. The product is marketed in such a way that ALL the responsibility is on the person who did the work. (This is why there are so many caveats in the warranty.) And this partially explains Rubio's attitude!

I have 2 sons who are attorneys. (Neither of them are the "lawsuit happy" kind, and I'm thankful for that.) But it does provide me with a great resource for "how" things work.

I would not want anyone to spend additional time, energy or money pursing a lawsuit. Unfortunately, there are lawyers who will take a lot of your $$$ to tell you the same thing!

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 5 Jahren

Nancy, the remedy I shared with you continues to provide us with extra protection for daily wear and tear. It is a very simple process. If you have a good housekeeper (who is willing), they would be more than capable of doing the application.

• RegularClouds
    vor 5 Jahren

You're right. i was only meaning to be helpful and I sure didn't mean it to be otherwise. I think everyone should be aware and...as always caveat emptor...whether listening to the seller or buyer

• Lucy Dalrymple
    vor 5 Jahren

Mary Elizabeth Hey @MaryElizabeth - Here's my deal. I have only just done a great room/kitchen combo with Rubio Monocoat. I, for reasons no need to get into here, because who is interested? (if so, let me know, lol) I opted out of using the hardener so it will be a full 30 days (16 days left to go) before I'll even be walking these floors or observing what will happen or not happen. Not planning on even living in this structure until mid to late 2019 but foot trafic will be somewhat, yet they are not going to have any problems soon. None of the stains above look to be much of an issue for me, I've had dogs my whole life and I know they can cause multiple issues on multiple household real property, LOL. but you never know what the future brings. It appears it's all about the type of saliva and ph of the individual dog. Who knows what my next dogs bring, haha. Anyhoo, so, I used white oak and have 50% walnut and 50% pure on the floors, light-ish with a darker marbling might be the way to call it on my floors. I want to ask you to please provide me (and all of us!) with the solution, in case something happens that I might need it. What I read above about your treatment or cure to remedy the whole thing is :

(and I copy paste your post here:)

Mary Elizabeth No problem, I can send it again. The reason I don't want to post it here, is that it involved a couple of lengthy conversations with a very experienced individual (now retired), who worked for a different hardwax oil company.

He was extremely helpful in regards to understanding some of the chemistry behind the various products, but also very professional. The agreement was that is was all "off the record", and I promised to respect that.

Neither me nor anyone else here I don't recon would be interested in any convos you had with this person that might be a violation of confidentiality, and, if you've already passed this info on to another person, what's the difference in one stranger and one hundred anyhoo? Likewise, we don't need to see the lengthy convo between you and this person, just the remedy or recipe or what have you. Please, post remedies here for us that might need it. The object of your thread is to help others, please do so and thanks ahead of time!

• Lucy Dalrymple
    vor 5 Jahren

I just came back to see if Mary Elizabeth had provided the information but, LOL, I see that's not happening (see my post directly above) Whilst here, I thoroughly read this entire thread again hoping to find some factual info for maintenance or remedy or something. WAIT. WHAT? This complete thread seems to be complaints about dogs messing on WHITE or NEAR WHITE FLOORS. Floors that have been treated with a green or eco friendly natural type product. What the? Somebody above said something about anyone with dogs knowing they make messes or something along that thought. For real? You have dogs who slobber and you complain that they stain white floors? I'm more and more thinking maybe there really is not a problem? People who want perfect floors and have dogs need to go with the plastic coatings of urethane! End of story. Please, Mary, give that remedy you brag on. I'm interested in ANY thing that keeps white to light floors stain free, dogs or no dogs (if I can stop laughing long enough)

• Jennifer Willingham
    vor 4 Jahren

We built in 2016 and used Rubio Monocoat smoke on 4,000 sq feet of white oak floors. Within a few months, we had dozens of dark spots in the kitchen near the sink - and we are super careful people. We’ve just been living with it and regretting our choice and watching our floors develop more and more spots. Our dog pooped on the floor yesterday and I cleaned it up within 30 seconds and still, a terrible dark stain is now left. If we wanted to resand and refinish throughout, what product do you recommend that will provide a similar look?

• Mrs June
    vor 4 Jahren

I will share what takes saliva, water, and urine stains out of my Pallman's hard wax finish floors.

I take a cosmetic cotton pad and saturate it with 3% hydrogen peroxide. I place it on a spot and cover it with saran wrap. If it is small spot, that's all I do. If it is a large urine stain I saturate a washcloth instead. I lay it flat and again cover with saran wrap but I will use masking tape to cover the edges of the wrap. The goal is to keep the cotton or cloth wet. I will keep it on the spot anywhere from 2-8 hours. You can look to check progress. Once the stain is removed the area around it may appear lighter. That's ok, once completely dry the floor will go back to its normal color. My floors are maple with no stain. If yours are stained, I recommend trying this in an inconspicuous area first. I hope this helps anyone out looking for solutions.

• joan_mcdonald281
    vor 4 Jahren

Mary Elizabeth...

We are just completing an install of wood floors finished with Rubio in Sky Gray--kitchen, entry way and powder room. Also we have several dogs and were told this finish was going to be "bomb proof." Reading this thread has me very worried. How can I get your remedy to avoid potential disaster with these floors? Thank you in advance for all your research.

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 4 Jahren

Mary Elizabeth Yes, would you be so kind as to pass this remedy on to me also? I don't have any issues to date, but if.................................................thanking you in advance!

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

Mrs. June, our floors are also maple, finished with no stain (Rubio, not Pallman). The hydrogen peroxide works for us as well, especially on a coffee stain.

SouthernBelle & joan_mcdonald281, follow me, and I will email you through Houzz.

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 4 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 4 Jahren

Mary Elizabeth - DONE! I'm following you. I'm not sure how that works, but I'll be waiting! Thanks!

• Ken Michaud
    vor 4 Jahren

Mary Elizabeth, I too have the same problem and have had my floors refinished twice with Rubio, only to read this thread to late. We are also have problem with spotting. Could you pass the remedy on to me also. Thank you!

• Kendrah
    vor 4 Jahren

I stumbled upon this thread accidentally. We have our kitchen done in Rubio and there are few marks. At some point we will do the rest of our home's floors and I always thought I would use Rubio but now I am reconsidering. Our current dog doesn't drool too much, but his water bowl is not in the kitchen and I am now wondering if the floor would be a wreck if it were. No more Rubio for us based on these horror stories. We got it 7 years ago because I need zero VOC and it was perfect for that. But, I presume there are enough other products on the market now.

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 4 Jahren

Ken Michaud, if you "follow me", I can email you through Houzz.

• engchristina
    vor 4 Jahren

thanks for sharing all your experience with Rubio. We were thinking of a light Rubio finish, but this thread helped us dodge a bullet! Any recommendations for oil finishes that can hold up to dog drool, or is poly the only option?

• Laura
    vor 4 Jahren

Bill Wilkins how have your floors been holding up? We are about to use Rubio (professionally done by a well respected refinisher) in our whole house (kitchen, living, dining, bedrooms) as I love the look but want to make sure I am not getting in over my head with maintenance issues.

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 4 Jahren

I HAVE THE FIX. I got this from Mary Elizabeth, who, in the email she sent me, pretty much makes the 'fix' seem simple enough, and quite frankly the main "issue" with Rubio Monocoat is that people tend to sand the wood, pre oiling it using a sander and going in circles (making swirls) rather than straight lines. Otherwise, for the 'stains' here's her simple and effective cure. I would also like to add this. If you want to go with Rubio instead of polyurethane remember this. Wood is a natural product. If you want perfection, then do, by all means, go with a plastic urethane coat. But if you want real wood natural finish, the Rubio seems the way to go. My floors are brand new, just done and I really can't speak for much in the aging process, but I've got a drooler of a dog and yes, I try to wipe drool and messes up quickly but, to date have not had any real issues. I think, perhaps, it depends on the acidity of the dog? Mine is a pit bull/boxer, if interested. Anyway, the Rubio seems good for us, but again, our floors are only about 35 days from just finished. **I did NOT USE the second step, hardener, and that seems to be the thing which caused most of the problems for Mary Elizabeth as well. It takes longer to harden but we were in no rush. So, I'd advise to not use the hardener too, that seemed to be a big positive for us (I think, as I've not used the hardener I can't speak, but eliminating the hardener makes the floor more 'natural' in my humble opinion. Now, this is an excerpt from Mary Elizabeth's email to me - and hopefully a good cure for any problems: (note she used Osmo instead of Rubio for maintenance and I know nothing about this)

The biggest benefit for us, aside from no re-sanding, is that the Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner (Clear) does not show any overlap, so we were able to apply it strategically, room by room, rather than all at once.

Our total area is a little over 1600 sq. ft.

This was my method:

1. Select an area

2. Remove furniture and rugs*

3. Sweep or vacuum

4. Damp mop with Rubio cleaning solution & rinse with clear water; let dry thoroughly

5. Tape off base and casing trim

6. In large open areas, you can tape between 2 floor board seams, if you want to stop (slightly overlap here when doing the next area)

7. Apply with a 100% cotton cloth (I used a flour sack dishcloth) and nitrile gloves.

8. Let dry.

9. Apply 2nd coat

10. Let dry overnite

11. Can buff (not required) I use an Oreck buffer & lambswool cover

12. Replace rugs & furniture

I did this on my hands & knees. It goes on very easily. The weather was favorable to have a little cross ventilation & outside air. There is a mild solvent odor that dissipates quickly. The instructions say you can add lavender essential oil (no citrus oils). I’m very allergic, but lavender bothers me more than solvent! I used a filter mask.

After all the prep, I wanted to do 2 coats initially, to have the most protection I could get.

(I had one room that I did several weeks after the rest. I noticed somewhat of an “overlap” at that doorway. Never figured out why, and eventually it faded.)

Please note: it is possible to apply too much of the product. It will eventually dry, but leaves a build-up. (Example: our granddaughter got new slippers at Christmas, and tried to slide around on the floor. That left “streaks”, but they were easily buffed out.

Update Fall 2017:

I did a one coat re-application in just the kitchen.

It did not need as much product as I put on. Next time, I will do a lighter coat.)

Stains from anything are rare now.

I do see stains from coffee. The hotter it is, the darker the stain.

(I think it’s that it is both hot and acidic.) On a dark wood, you might not ever see it!

The stains are removable using 3% hydrogen peroxide.

I plan to use the Rubio concentrated cleaner until it is gone, and then switch to the Osmo Wash & Care, as it is less expensive.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Mary Elizabeth

P.S.

A note about the application process, as an example:

Our master suite is on the main floor. The bedroom is 16’ x 16’, plus a small entry area.

Since we have a heavyweight 12’ x 14’ rug in that room, I only did the exposed wood to about 4” under the rug on 3 sides, so I did not have to move the bed.

(I folded back the edges and held them with weights until it was completely dry.)

Looking back, I could have done the thing in the den, living room, & family room areas, as those rooms also have large, thick area rugs. Even if we change the rugs, the size would be the same.

Best to all, and maybe re-consider Rubio? I'm happy (so far)

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 4 Jahren

Yes, what SouthernBelle posted is the method we used to make our Rubio floors liveable. IIRC, the added "hardener" was just being introduced at the time (2015), but we also used the Universal Maintenance Oil as a final step. My understanding is that the UMO has now been discontinued. Prior to any of this, Rubio had another product that they pulled. IMO, this many changes to your product line is an admission that something's not working!

If I was deciding on a hardwax oil finish at this point, I would look into different brands. Maybe just go with Osmo or something else (Pallman) from the start.

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 4 Jahren

@Mary Elizabeth. Yes, I hear good things about Pallman and Osmo too. I also think Rubio is a good product, however, I would strongly suggest if you go with Rubio to avoid the hardener and go with the oil alone. The waiting time is longer, but probably well worth it.

• kimcartyjd
    vor 3 Jahren

Rubio Monocoat is supposed to be durable and it is NOT! My 20 lb dogs have scratched the floor simply by walking on it. And, the 2 step process we used didn't actually penetrate the wood; it is like a top coat. Our floors were ruined after a few days of moving in. I will never use this product again. We used the Monsoon Grey precolor and the Silver Grey Stain on White Oak floors. It has been a disaster!

• mtpo
    vor 3 Jahren

Thanks to all of you that posted about your experiences with Rubio Monocoat. I‘m in the process of building a new home that will have white oak floors throughout. My builder has suggested the Rubio finish if I opt for an oil finish or a Bona Traffic HD if I do Not want oil. In my condo now, I have had a prefinished wood floor for about 15 years — and we’ve had our dog drooling, spitting up and having accidents on it from time to time for the past 5 years. The floor still looks brand new. The installer told us to care for our current floors using Bona cleaning products — that’s what we do. Fifteen years ago, I did not research what flooring to buy or what finish to use — I naively just picked a color I liked. Guess I lucked out. Given the comments about the Rubio finish, I plan to go with plastic coated floors again. Even though the oil finished floors may look more natural, I don’t think I’m cut out for the upkeep.

• Kim S
    vor 3 Jahren

Hi Mary Elizabeth! I followed you, and I would like to read your solutions/suggestions - can you email them to me please?

This thread has been very helpful as I decide what flooring finish to use in our new build. We are great about cleaning up after ourselves, but host many friends who are...not. So, I would hate to see the floors destroyed because someone makes a mess and doesn't mention it.

Maybe Rubio Monocoat has become better over the years, but I am also curious about what else is out there. I've read horror stories about almost every product, it seems. No DIY here either - planning on hiring skilled professionals to take care of the jobs for us. But, want to have direction for them when we move forward. Thanks to everyone whose shared here!

• elktoe
    vor 3 Jahren

Curious if anyone has installed prefinished uv-cured oil floors that use Rubio such as wdfloors or sawyer mason. Wondering if the prefinishing (instead of on site finishing) helps with proper application and cuts down on staining. Also wondering if UV cured Rubio oiled floors are easier to maintain than non-UV cured.

• Howard Appel
    vor 3 Jahren

All this talk of drooling causing spots really worries me. Two English Mastiffs, Great Dane and Basset Hound -- three out of four are massive droolers. Guess no Rubio for me.

• Mrs June
    vor 3 Jahren

I wouldn't with droolers. Mine aren't droolers but they slop water from their bowl which is under a rug. I still get spots. Bane of my existence.

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 3 Jahren

Howard Appel I just recently did a large area with Rubio...I had lived in a house with Rubio but I had nothing to do with the application. Since we were not in a rush, and I had quite a bit of (very successful) experience with Rubio but all of it without the hardener, and in being in no rush, I did the floor stain without the added part C or part B or whatever the hardener is called. It was a month before we used the floor for anything serious. I have a pit bull that drools so badly we thought, for a long time she was peeing all over the place. She drools all over the floors and, to date, nothing has happened that won't wipe up stain free. So, I recommend it highly. However, two caveats: #1 I do understand that the acidity in dogs saliva may differ, but for my dog, nothing he drools on the floor has stained - it's ..slobber, wipe, repeat. No problems. And, secondly, I don't have a clue what it's like with the hardener but with stain alone I've even patched places, and it's like magic. No sign of "tampering" I truly believe that the major problems people have with this is in that added hardening agent or not following application directions as it's not "quite" the same as regular stain in the application/preparation. When used alone without the fast dry additive it's darn near perfect. If you have the time and patience to go without the Part B? C? I'd say give it a shot. I love!

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

I think Rubio is the least brand of hard wax oil, in both terms of use & wear, and definitely LACK of customer service or support!

There used to be a professional floor finisher that would post here - IIRC - "Ultimate Hardwood", Canadian, I believe, who loved Rubio.

But then he changed his preferred product to Odie's Oil, and I don't think he's been back since.

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 3 Jahren

Mary Elizabeth I've heard of Odie's oil, and heard good things about them, but I didn't know it was for floors, but rather furniture, etc. Doesn't it come in tiny jars? Or am I thinking of something else? I'd like to know more.

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

SouthernBelle, personally, I don't know anything about Odie's. When Ultimate Hardwood used to post in flooring discussions, especially regarding hard wax oil finishes, he was very helpful and knowledgeable. I just remember him commenting on changing to Odie's.

I found this with a quick Google search:

https://ptlhardwoodfloors.com/odies-oil/

Maybe contact a flooring company that uses it.

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 3 Jahren

Thanks, @Mary Elizabeth - it looks like this Odies's oil does not come in "colors" and you have to find a stain (water based-elsewhere?) to do anything other than a natural finish. Is that how you're seeing it?

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

I haven't really studied it at all. I am planning to use one or two of the Fiddes colored oils for a couple of projects.

https://fiddes-usa.com/shop/floor-finishes/hard-wax-oil/

I am not an expert with wood finishes, and don't think I would have the patience to play with a water based finish.

What kind of wood were you thinking of putting the Odie's on?

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren
  • SouthernBelle ~
    vor 3 Jahren

I thought I'd try it on a piece of old furniture I had sanded down. That's how I got started on Rubio. Mess up, not a problem, although so far I've had success with Rubio - but I don't know how they differ.

Thanks for these links, Mary Elizabeth

• SouthernBelle ~
    vor 3 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 3 Jahren

Okay, Mary Elizabeth so is OSMO and ODIE's related?

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

SouthernBelle, not that I know of. IIRC, Osmo and Fiddes are both originally English or European products. We used Rubio (clear) on our maple floors, but had to use an Osmo product after the fact to make them livable. (LONG story...)

A piece of furniture is a great way to try the product. I'm planning to use it on a knotty alder mantel, and restoration of an oak library ladder. Thought I would get both of those things done this fall, but it's not looking good - lol!

• Houzz-Nutzer 259944836
    vor 3 Jahren

In Rubio Pet Hell. It was professionally applied. Lots of lighter spots. Already had it refinished once, just to see it happen again. I would love the special advice, off screen, if it’s still relevant to this issue. The worst spot is where an area rug with a pad that had a non skid texture got stealth peed on and sat like that. Please and thank you.

C

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

@HU-259944836, I'm not too worried about posting it anymore. It's been over 5 years since we had our floors done with Rubio.

What type of wood is your floor? Did you use any of the colored oils or fume process, etc.?

• kimcartyjd
    vor 3 Jahren

@Houzz-Nutzer 259944836HU and @Mary Elizabeth Our floors have a precolor with a stain and the part 2C over it. Each day brings a new scratch or dog drool stain, and I have noticed a difference on the floor beneath the rugs (even with a protector). I follow the instructions for cleaning and it seems like more stain is removed every time I clean the floors. The problem appears to be with the stain failing to adhere as well as the application - there are lighter areas with buff issues and a lack of stain. I really dislike the idea of having to refinish floors on a new house and will not be using Rubio ever again. What floor stains is everyone having success with?

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

@kimcartyjd, our floors are a "rustic" maple. (Some grain, not at all crazy, definitely not "spalted").

We used the Rubio Pure, and whatever the recommended 2nd coat was at the time. (Which I believe has now been discontinued.)

What type of wood do you have, and was it site finished or pre-finished?

• kimcartyjd
    vor 3 Jahren

@Mary Elizabeth we have site finished white oak and it sat for weeks before we moved in. I am extremely unhappy with the floors and angry that 2000 sq ft needs to be redone immediately. We were looking for a grey finish so now I am considering Bona but would really like to know what works since I want to avoid a repeat.

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

@kimcartyjd, I can understand your total frustration. Did your builder or floor finished recommend Rubio? Are they offering to re-do it with a different product?

If it were me, in a new home (with kids & pets, I assume), I would have it redone and then get on with your life.

Maybe even start a new discussion asking what finish people have found to be the most durable, and the easiest to LIVE with.

• Houzz-Nutzer 259944836
    vor 3 Jahren

@Mary Elizabeth

our flooring is Oak. The areas the staining is worst is on “castle brown”...I can not remember whether they fumed it. It was 8 years ago. I figured I’d get used to the “distressed look” but the pattern from the rig mat does not “blend” at all.

Thank you for your help.

• Mary Elizabeth
    vor 3 Jahren

@HU-259944836, scroll up in this discussion, & look for a post by SourthenBelle last year.

She posted a copy of the process we used in her comment.

Since some of your color is missing, you will need to match to touch it up, before doing a topcoat. Do you still have some of the Rubio product you originally used?

Google "Osmo Liquid Wax Cleaner (Satin)". That is the product I used. If you have any questions about the process, just let me know.

Odie's Oil is another product which might give similar results.

Plan to test any products you are considering on the actual floor.

If you want to follow me, I would be happy to email you, or you can ask here.

• Debbie
    letztes Jahr

I was a huge fan of rubio. i found rubio in 2014 and used a combination of havanna and black on 3,000 SF of rift and qwartersawn white oak. No siginifant issues over 6 years. I was Rubioo’s biggest fan. Just bought a new house. installed 4,000 SF of french oak and applied Rubio in the color natural. After the cure period and use of the floors, every drop of dog drool almost immediately turns brown. I had the floors inspected and was told that the installers either didn’t use enough oil or they didn‘t leave the oil on long enough. So the floors were resanded and the rubio reapplied. Same problem!!!!! dark colored dog drool spots everywhere. I had the same dog at my last house and never had a single drool stain.

I’m in crisis mode. Someone mentioned using hydrogen peroxide to remove the stains? I guess trying that is better than doing nothing, but I’ll be a slave to this. i was unclear about what some others said. Is there a product that can be applied on top of the existing rubio (after i get the stains out with peroxide or sand and touch up stained areas with the natural rubio) that will protect the floirs from the dog drool stains?

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.