Houzz Logo Print
thejoyofblindsandshutters

Does anyone know what this strange stuff in a bathroom is?

This strange stuff was found growing between some bathroom tiles - see photo. When wiped off it simply reappears. Is it 'efflorescence' or something more sinister, and can you get rid of it permanently?

Kommentare (14)

• PRO
    The JOY of Blinds and Shutters
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Thanks Daisy. I hadn't thought of that. It's also strange that is smells slightly acidic. Joy

• Jonathan
    vor 6 Jahren
    A definition for Efflorescence is a staining of brickwork, masonry and concrete, caused by salts being washed out of construction materials, and being deposited on the surface of building materials by the evaporation process of water.
    That what I think this is.
    If it getting better then it is likely just the building drying out.
    If it is not getting better then water is getting into the wall and you need to find and remove the cause.- Check gutters, soil levels outside, down pipes, other water sources behind the wall(perhaps your washing machine is there?)..... basically everything on the other side of the wall needs a good check.
    It is also possible that the water is coming from this side- often a leaky radiator is the culprit.
    The JOY of Blinds and Shutters hat Jonathan gedankt
  • PRO
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Jonathan, many thanks for your advice. The photo is of a shower area where vertical tiles meet the floor tiles. The shower's on the 1st floor of the property so as that strange stuff seems to keep growing, I guess the problem is water seeping through grouting and causing this deposit?? Joy

• Jonathan
    vor 6 Jahren
    It could well be the shower but you should also consider the other side of the wall
    The JOY of Blinds and Shutters hat Jonathan gedankt
  • PRO
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Good idea Jonathan. It amazing how something as 'clear' as water can create such problems...

• PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 6 Jahren

I think it looks identical to the grout mix, therefore, it could simply be where the loose grout mix is washing out of the joins and down on to the floor. When was the tiling done in relation to this happening? Was it recently?

The JOY of Blinds and Shutters hat User gedankt
  • PRO
    CMD Ceramics
    vor 6 Jahren

Looks like marble tiles to me? if it is was it properly sealed during installation? Also that joint between wall tiles and floor tiles should be sealed with silicone which could help also.

CMD Tiling contractors London and Surrey

The JOY of Blinds and Shutters hat CMD Ceramics gedankt
  • PRO
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Hugh, you asked when the tiling was done. It was about a year ago. Although the growth has slowed down over the months, it is definitely still growing. Joy

• PRO
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Columb, no they're not marble but stone tiles and they were sealed with silicone. At first the strange stuff was coming out from both the grouting and from the centre of some of the tiles. Now it seems to just be coming out of the grouting. If it's due to water behind the joint between the wall tiles and floor tiles, and that joint is sealed yet again, what happens to any water behind it? Joy

• PRO
    User
    vor 6 Jahren

As this is the shower area, does it re-appear after a shower and, when the wall is drying out afterwards/

I still think it's grout, and would put money on it.

Those are some thick joins, plus the faces of the stone tiles are pitted. Therefore, small amounts of grout would have stuck themselves in the little pitted areas. They won't last forever, and will wash out. I don't believe for a minute that silicone was put over the whole surface of the stones. That doesn't make sense at all. You use stone or tile that is suitable for a wet area, not all tiles or stone are. You use silicone around the joins to seal it, not over the whole surface.

If you wipe a clean piece of tissue over the surface of the stone, does it look clean still? Or is it kind of dusty?

The JOY of Blinds and Shutters hat User gedankt
  • PRO
    CMD Ceramics
    vor 6 Jahren

Sorry guys i mean a sealer for stone tiles not silicone sealer on the surface of the tiles. I'm thinking water is absorbing into the tiles causing efflorescence. I'd recommend you give the tiles a good clean but try not to soak them anymore than needed, then leave it to dry out for as long as you can. Then give the tiles and grout 3 coats of a suitable stone sealer which will stop any water absorbing into them. All of the big tile shops sell it and it is necessary on all stone tiles as they are porous. Its very easy to do you just need the sealer and a mini paint roller.

The JOY of Blinds and Shutters hat CMD Ceramics gedankt
  • PRO
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Hugh, no, it doesn’t re-appear after a shower. It’s not that quick. It builds up over weeks. Ah, I didn’t think about small amounts of grout sticking in the little pitted areas. You also asked if it looks clean or dusty after wiping with tissue. If rubbed firmly it goes quite smooth but also feels very slightly dusty to the touch. Joy

• PRO
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 6 Jahren

Hi Columb, yes, the surface of the tiles was sealed…and resealed about a year after they were installed. Thanks for the suggestion of giving the tiles and grout several coats of stone sealer. Didn’t realise just how porous stone is! Joy

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.