Houzz Logo Print
haylz24

Help with choosing a kitchen spashback

haylz24
vor 10 Jahren
Please help with ideas for a kitchen splash back???

We have white subway tiles left over from our bathroom. For budgets sake we thought about using the left over subway tile for a splash back. But how high should we tile and what colour grout do we use? The kitchen has black and stainless appliances already.

Note the window has not been fully painted white yet.

Kommentare (21)

• PRO
    CDH Designs LLC
    vor 10 Jahren
    The splash should go the whole way to the hood at the cooktop area.. Other than that, it's your decision, but 15-18" would be the most common height. I prefer white grout with white subway tiles, but that kitchen is very WHITE already. How about painting the window trim black, or a different color to make it stand out?
  • Ap
    vor 10 Jahren
    It is a really white kitchen. How about a blue backsplash?

This is a nice blue:
    Kitchen · Mehr Info

Or perhaps this blue:
    Beach House Kitchen · Mehr Info
  • kculp102
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    What about painting the wall around the window a grey. To break up some of that white. Grey and white is a beautiful combination. I would use white grout with the white tile.
  • haylz24
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thanks for the ideas. I was also thinking of adding floating shelves so I can display some colourful bakeware. I'm undecided if we should tile right up to the ceiling or just up to range hood height.
  • PRO
    Schley Woodworking
    vor 10 Jahren
    White subway tiles in a white kitchen might just be too much white? Your kitchen looks quite contemporary with the stainless hood fan and handles on flat panel doors, have you looked at glass tiles?
    Some glass tiles in a brick/ subway pattern might give a nice contrast? We used a green glass in our backsplash, and it worked well with the white kitchen
  • jamie0129
    vor 10 Jahren
    Definitely a nice light grey glass tile backsplash to keep it fresh but cohesive
  • PRO
    Molika Oum
    vor 10 Jahren
    Keep the subways but set them as a herringbone, use warm grey grout, tile to the ceiling at hood wall and windows at window wall, trim with bullnose
  • User
    vor 10 Jahren
    You could do something like in this photo with the shelves and bring the tile up to the bottom of the shelves and range hood.
    http://houzz.com/photos/57949
  • User
    vor 10 Jahren
    I also think a slightly contrasting grout would add a little something to the kitchen and (if this makes sense) tie in the more industrial stools. I like the idea of painting the trim black or staining it darker and possibly using reclaimed wood shelves to warm things up a little.
  • User
    vor 10 Jahren
    I have a modern white kitchen but added these shelves from west elm
    http://houzz.com/photos/413457
  • User
    vor 10 Jahren
    Even though this kitchen is more vintage it's what I was thinking of - your stools and the suggestion of grey grout reminded me. Note the dark window trim
    http://houzz.com/photos/56748
  • kellyography
    vor 10 Jahren
    You could use your current white subway tile under the vent hood, and get a new, colorful tile for the rest of the backsplash (under the window and around to the counter) or vice versa.

SEN Design Kitchen & Bath Professionals · Mehr Info

Kitchen · Mehr Info
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    First, I would consider adding more storage, maybe a cabinet on the right hand side of cooktop down to counter with an appliance garage. Brand new Kitchen already cluttered?:(

And as others suggested, open shelves on the other side, to put all the clutter that's on the sill now in them (with editing, of course).
  • Lanitra Bynum
    vor 10 Jahren
    Make sure you pull out all the colors you have in your kitchen and match it to a backsplash. Do not go with an odd color it will overpower your space. Your colors are white, silver, black, and gray. Go to the big box stores and match it up please. They have it. Very nice kitchen wow!
  • kculp102
    vor 10 Jahren
    Sam0705, thank you for sharing the picture of the West Elm shelves! I have been looking for some shelves like those for my kitchen!
  • User
    vor 10 Jahren
    great! I really like them. I had to order them online without seeing in person and was bracing myself for them not to live up to expectations but they are very nice. they come with different brackets if you go to the website.
  • haylz24
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think we are going to use the white subway tile to keep the budget down as I priced new tiles and it would blow out the budget. Really like the contrast grout idea to add a bit of texture and pattern. My partner is a builder and he loves the reclaimed wood shelf idea as we have a lot of spear old wood left over from the renovation. We have made a dinning table and fire place mantel from it already so it would tie in really well.
  • PRO
    Giz Design Studio LLC
    vor 9 Jahren
    I like the idea of adding shelves. Something like this would look great.

French Place Cottage · Mehr Info
  • PRO
    Giz Design Studio LLC
    vor 9 Jahren
    You could use the white subway tiles on sink wall and use a subtle colored subway on the range wall with floating shelves in wood to match your window. That would give it some depth instead of being all black and white.
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.