Houzz Logo Print
keswing

Bifold or sliding aluminium doors - 2.6m opening

keswing
vor 5 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 5 Jahren

Hi all,

We're in the process of having our extension built and have to make the decision whether to have sliding or bi-fold aluminium patio doors. The opening is 2.6m wide.

Initially we were set on having bi-folds but we're no longer convinced they are the best solution for our space. I hadn't considered that they would protrude into our small patio space, or that the master door would have to be on the right (from inside the extension) which doesn't seem to be the natural flow. To resolve the 'folding' issue we have be told they could open inwards but I wonder if they will take up too much space based on the size of the room and the proposed layout? Also we have had to reduce the opening from 3m to 2.6 (to avoid clashing with existing French doors) I wonder if at this size there will be too much frame and not enough glass?

The other option is to have sliding doors which do not provide the inside/out feel we hoped for but would resolve the 'folding' issue and would have less frame.

Any advice?

The pictures below are of the current build stage, the proposed plans (although the opening has been reduced from 3m to 2.6m), plus an idea of the internal layout.

Kommentare (9)

• irenne B
    vor 5 Jahren
    You can actually have both. Andrew Wright windows in Irvine Scotland have an unique product called Slide & Swing doors. Here is a picture of their brochure. Although I can't see from the pics where is the sun coming from most of the day and how is the garden oriented against the windows, I will generally advice to have the opening bigger if possible whole wall to create the inside out feeling even if the weather is bad. You still get lots of light and feeling you leave in the nature. That is particularly good if you have a nice view. So my advice is consider first the light source and the views before adding a window opening. More south oriented room and garden same direction more wider and taller window/door opening.
    keswing hat irenne B gedankt
  • irenne B
    vor 5 Jahren
    Here is the link to Andrew Wright webpage.
    https://www.andrewwright.co.uk/doors/new-wave-doors/
    keswing hat irenne B gedankt
  • Sonia
    vor 5 Jahren

I have good old sliding doors and I love them. Like you, we didn’t want anything to clutter up the patio, or the kitchen, so sliding doors seemed the best option. Mine are a pretty boring white upvc, but they frame a lovely view of the garden and are very cosy and draft free in the winter. Mine are about 6ft in old money. Sorry about the dark pictures but it’s so sunny this morning it’s the best I could do!

keswing hat Sonia gedankt
  • PRO
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi,

Your dilemma is very common- Please read this article which may help you to make your decision.

https://origin-global.com/advice-centre/which-option-is-best-for-me-and-my-home 

Best of luck.

keswing hat Origin - Doors and Windows gedankt
  • keswing
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

We've decided for the practical reasons to go with aluminium sliding doors and make the opening 3 meters wide.

Any advice on whether we should go for 2 sliding doors or 3? I would like to be able to have as wide an opening as possible and for the door to slide to the right from inside the house. If we have 3 panes is the opening in the middle?

• PRO
    ODC Door & Glass Systems
    vor 5 Jahren

You can have a sliding system where all three panels can slide. This would give you maximum flexibility. More info on our website here. Best of luck!

keswing hat ODC Door & Glass Systems gedankt
  • PRO
    Thomas Studio
    vor 5 Jahren

Unless you specify a very expensive Bi-fold system I would avoid. As they tend to jam over time as the hinges bend, or go out of alignment. Also the brush seals can detach and get in the way of the mechanism making the whole thing hard to operate and push back and forth - particularly if the beam above the opening is not plumb level or strong enough to hold the door track level.

Also Bi-folds eat into the floor area either outside, or get in the way of curtains or blinds on the inside.

Bi-folds sound like a great idea but they come with too much baggage. Go with sliders or doors.

keswing hat Thomas Studio gedankt
  • PRO
    YES Glazing Solutions
    vor 5 Jahren

Hi Keswing,

Although bifolding doors can give you a 95% width opening, they will be closed much of the time, and when they are, there are thicker and numerous sightlines blocking the view. Your short patio space will be restricted by the stacked doors too. You can of course have them opening and stacking inside the property, although this may cause similar problems of limiting space indoors.

Your main exit door could be on the left or right depending on configuration and which side you want to stack the doors so this should not be an issue for you - why do you only have the option for a main door on the right? You could have two exit doors in the middle if you really wanted and the bifolding doors stack to either side, but the width is not really wide enough for this.

A 3-panel sliding doors system, with all three panels sliding will give you the sliding door system with the biggest open gap, but will have two visible sightlines when closed.

A 2-panel sliding doors sytem will provide the best view (as only one sightline in the middle of the doors will be visible when closed) but the openable width will only be 50%.

Sliding doors with exceptionally slim sightlines, such as our VISION Ultra Slim Sliding Doors would be my recommendation :-)

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.