Houzz Logo Print
april_nucci

BEWARE OF CAMBRIA!

April Nucci
vor 5 Jahren

We started a kitchen remodel and chose one of Cambria's luxury quartz line 'Annica'. The process has be a HORRENDOUS experience. We decided on a beautiful centerpiece quartz backsplash that goes all the way to the ceiling. A few weeks after that, we noticed a crack in the middle of the backsplash. The crack was not at a pressure point or near any cuts or seams. The fabricator came out and said it was a manufacturing problem. Then Cambria came out and determined it was a 'fissure' that occurred during manufacture. Cambria agreed to send a replacement slab because of our concerns over continued cracking and eventual possibility of the weight of the entire backsplash falling down in my kitchen. The agreement to send a replacement happened 6 plus weeks ago. We still have no replacement slab! I have a crack in my 'centerpiece' backsplash that cost thousands of dollars. I should have done more research on Cambria before settling on them. I love the look of the Annica, but have since read reviews of the terrible customer service and lackluster quality of their quartz product. What should have been my dream kitchen will now always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Kommentare (60)

• nosoccermom
    vor 5 Jahren

If Cambria (or quartz) for that matter isn't suitable for behind a range/cooktop, how come the Cambria blog shows and advertises such use? Several pics with what looks like pro styles gas ranges/cooktops.

https://refineanddefine.cambriausa.com/cambria-quartz-backsplash-ideas/

" A coordinating backsplash creates a cohesive look and brings the design features of your countertops into broader view so you can appreciate the movement and depth from all angles. You’ll also boost the enjoyment of your kitchen with a fuss-free Cambria backsplash. A sleek alternative to a tile backsplash, Cambria is durable and easy-clean, with no grout lines to contend with."

And here: https://refineanddefine.cambriausa.com/2019-interior-design-trends-cambria/

• M Miller
    vor 5 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 5 Jahren

Nosoccermom - Cambria’s warranty says ”Product subjected to damage due to...direct or sustained heat or cold and sudden or rapid changes in temperature or thermal shock,...on or near or under Product are not covered by this Warranty”.

• nosoccermom
    vor 5 Jahren

Okayyyy, so why do they advertise their product's use as backsplash behind what looks like high powered pro gas ranges? Just to look at? Or might using a burner that's a couple of inches from the backsplash not fall under direct or sustained heat?

• M Miller
    vor 5 Jahren

Because their marketing dept wants to feed the fantasy that Quartz is as good as stone? And the beautiful photos sell a lot of Cambria? The Warranty though, that is the purview of the accounting and finance groups, and is the real bottom line. Whether Cambria, or anything else in the world that a person may buy, one should always read the Warranty. Caveat emptor.

Also, this is not just Cambria’s Warranty. All Quartz brands have similar language in their warranties.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 5 Jahren

"It’s a bad design to put quartz behind a cooktop . It will scorch and crack. That isn’t Cambria’s fault."

Cambria can be a fine backsplash behind a cooktop if the cooktop manufacturer's installation instructions are followed.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    vor 5 Jahren

following...

• Shannon_WI
    vor 5 Jahren

We don't even know that the OP's Cambria crack is near the range. Odd that there are no photos, no description. For all we know, this post could be a troll for a rival Quartz brand. If the poster is real, it should be noted that there is discussion on the Cambria website that when Cambria is used as a backsplash there are special mounting requirements and the slab must be a smaller thickness. Perhaps the installers did not follow the specs for backsplash installation.

We have no way of knowing - the OPs like this one who post as a rant pretty much never return.

• nosoccermom
    vor 5 Jahren

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/aurea-divine-quartz-cracked-dsvw-vd~5649974?n=30

I understand that I'm taking this thread into a different direction.

Assuming that I want to have a Cambria backsplash behind a gas range. Who's responsible if it turns yellow or cracks or does whatever due to heat? Cambria, the Cambria installer, or the cooktop/range installer?

I can already see the ensuing discussion along the lines that I didn't do my due diligence and insisted on having something done that won't be covered by anybody's warranty.

• jmm1837
    vor 5 Jahren

I remember a lengthy thread about backsplashes behind gas ranges (which I can't find at the moment). Fred S, the guru of codes, was very clear in his advice (which the OP in that particular thread ignored). Bottom line is, you need to read the cooktop manual to find out what their requirements are: most pro ranges need either a steel backguard or quite a few inches of clear space between the back of the cooktop and "combustible materials" (and bear in mind that the studs behind the wall are usually wood, which is a combustible, so tile backsplashes aren't adequate unless the studs are steel or the house is built of concrete blocks). It's up to you, the buyer, to know whether you need the steel backguard. The cooktop vendors won't necessarily tell you. Non pro ranges deliver a lot less heat so the requirements would be different, of course.

And offhand, I'd say that, if you choose to put a combustible material behind the range, contrary to the warranty conditions of that material, and without the backguard to protect it, that's on you too if it goes wrong.

• Darlene Cere_Brayton
    vor 5 Jahren
    I love Cambria!
    I had a Cambria countertop for almost 20 yrs in my previous home, had a few minor chips around the sink from my creuset pots. But all in all the countertops still looked new!
    Cambria came out and repaired them for free after almost 20 years, they have wonderful customer service.
    I just had ironstone Cambria installed in my new home, love it!!!
  • Helen
    vor 5 Jahren

Isn't there a difference between a true professional range and ranges which only look like a professional range. I don't have a gas line so I didn't follow threads closely but as I recall a real professional range has all kinds of installation requirements in terms of insulation and in the event of a fire improper installation could void your house insurance - so cracking backsplashes would be the least of the issues.

In terms of a warranty - especially for a consumer - all of the literature put out by a company would be seen as the company making "promises" of performance to a consumer. I used to be an attorney for a consumer products company and EVERY piece of advertising or promotional material had to be signed off by the Legal Department. Marketing/sales/advertising would bitch and moan when we told them they couldn't say something but they had to comply.

So despite what it might say in the warranty, if the company has promotional material showing it as a backsplash in a RESIDENTIAL kitchen, it would be difficult for them to disclaim liability based on it not being suitable for use as a backsplash. The burden would shift to them in terms of proving that somehow the use was not "normal" - I would suspect using a true professional range might void the warranty as it wouldn't be used in a real commercial kitchen. This is not to be taken as legal advice - merely how a prudent consumer products company deals with their advertising/promotional materials and how it might impact their liability.

• M Miller
    vor 5 Jahren

Jmm1837 - is this the thread you were talking about with Fred S?

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/thermador-6-burner-gas-cooktop-specifies-10-minimum-clearance-dsvw-vd~1080444[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/thermador-6-burner-gas-cooktop-specifies-10-minimum-clearance-dsvw-vd~1080444)

In addition, this thread, [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/aurea-divine-quartz-cracked-dsvw-vd~5649974?n=30[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/aurea-divine-quartz-cracked-dsvw-vd~5649974?n=30) , has a link, and within that thread there are links, and within those threads there are links - all talking about what materials the backsplash behind a range/cooktop should be, or alternatively, if you really want a quartz backsplash behind your range, how that needs to be installed (with a range backguard (links provided) or with a 6“ distance between the back of the range and the quartz backsplash).

If you are a frequenter of this forum, and still put a quartz backsplash behind your cooking area with none of the protections discussed at length here, with all the wealth of information of all these many threads, and the manufacturers‘ warranties saying they won’t cover that, then you have no one to blame but yourself if your Quartz cracks and/or is discolored.

• Oliviag
    vor 5 Jahren
    This is the type of post and thread where I check the poster...
    one thread. just this one...
    the type of poster i ignore, actoss social media.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    vor 5 Jahren

lol, HORRENDOUS ??!! so the countertop had a slight crack and Cambria is replacing it. No hassle, no nothing. Hardly a horrendous experience.

The fact that she had to wait 6 weeks for a complete replacement by Cambria is the reason for this post??

What should have been my dream kitchen will now always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh the drama..

this has to be written by some millennial troll.

• Barbara Davis
    vor 5 Jahren

Sorry that happened and thank you for sharing. Hopefully they will take care of it.

• K R
    vor 5 Jahren
    I think they’ve given her a fair replacement /warranty option, and I agree, slabs take time to manufacture. Anyone who has done a remodel of any kind knows there are always issues, time delays, etc.. It’s the nature of it. Cambria reads these threads so I’m sure they’ll chime in at some point. Not cool blasting them publicly before even finishing the project! But maybe that was the OP’s intention. Try getting a Chinese manufacturer to make good on their products, should be fun. Lol
  • suedonim75
    vor 5 Jahren

It's like complaining that your diamond shoes are too tight.

• millworkman
    vor 5 Jahren

And there you have it.

• PRO
    New England Design Elements
    vor 5 Jahren

In this industry, the larger and the more complex the project, the more common it is for things to go wrong. There are many moving parts to a renovation and when things do go wrong, how the vendors and manufacturers respond along with the team pulling the project together is a true test to the kind of company they are. Things do happen and it seems like they are making it right. I have to cringe on the harshness of this post as it does not appear to be a very fair assessment to Cambria. I expected something to the effect like " Cambria is ignoring our calls" or "Cambria is refusing to replace our product" I read further in and you wrote Cambria is replacing the slabs. There is also a level of coping a homeowner has to assume during a renovation. When you go into a renovation thinking the process and the results must be perfect than you are setting yourself up for disappointment and it will leave a bad taste in your mouth. If you go in with a positive outlook and an understanding that it is a "project" and also a "process" the end result will be better than what you expected.

• PRO
    Tischler Wood
    vor 5 Jahren

Please reconsider this post....this does not have to do with Cambria as a product. The fabricator maybe!

• Marks Laura
    vor 3 Jahren

We purchased over $10,000 in countertops from Cambria with a warranty against defects. We were the first people to purchase Cambria's newest quartz pattern, Annicca, in our area. Within the first 7 months of owning the countertops, a crack occurred in the quartz while I was using an appliance on the counter. The appliance had legs that were at least 3 inches in height as recommended by Cambria. The crack started in a vein, which seems to be the weak points in the counter. This seems to be a manufacturer defect more than user error, but they won't admit that. When their investigator came to look at the countertop, he found the crack to be our fault due (no surprise there) to the use of the appliance even though we followed Cambria's recommendation. They repaired the crack in the counter by drilling a holes on either end of the crack to prevent it from spreading any further and sealing it. Less than a year after the repair, the crack has spread to the end of the counter and all the way through. We called to complain and they sent their repair guy. The repair guy said that his repair is as good as it gets. The company is not standing behind their warranty. They are trying to find loopholes to get out of honoring their "lifetime" warranty. In addition to this crack, we have found numerous chips in the counter in an area that never sees appliances. The counter looks awful and it isn't even two years old. We want Cambria to stand behind their warranty and their product. It is ridiculous that I am afraid to use appliances on our kitchen countertops.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 3 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 3 Jahren

If I ran Cambria's warranty department, we would have never touched a repair of this nature that we ruled customer abuse. The second you touch it, you own it. I'd sure like to see some scientific evidence that the drill-each-end-to-stop-cracks trick works. The movement and particulates in Annicca may lend itself to such a repair.

Chipping is much more the fault of the person who selected the edge profile than that of product selection.

Put a straightedge, preferably a 4' level, over the cracked area please. Are there any dips or humps? How far is the top out of level? If the top was installed improperly, it could get torqued.. That would indicate fabricator/installer error, not customer abuse.

People forget that estone is 35% resin. When resin gets hot, it expands. When the surrounding resin isn't hot and expanding too, something's gotta give and that's the crack. Was the finish affected? If it's different, that's heat and heat is customer abuse.

Get an Annicca remnant, put the allegedly offending appliance on it, turn it on high for 20 minutes, then measure the temperature of the remnant. Unscientifically, if you can't plant your palm on it, it's too hot. Let Cambria try. If they can crack it with your appliance, they owe you nothing. If they can't, they do. (I had a customer give me a large candle for testing that he said damaged his DuPont Zodiaq. Impossible. His teenagers blew up a battery charger and etched the top.)

As an independent contractor, I've done warranty claims for major solid surface manufacturers. From my experience, it's fabricator/installer error 45%, customer abuse 45%, and manufacturer defect 10% of the time. The shop where I worked years ago installed a Corian top with bubbles once and had to replace it. So rare an event I still remember it.

If the Cambria is defective, it should be replaced, but let's not blame Cambria for something they didn't do either. My money's on customer abuse. Again.

• Marks Laura
    vor 3 Jahren

There is no defect in the finish. The crack didn't start at the edge. It started in the middle of the slab and eventually worked its way to the edge.

When the crack occurred, I removed the appliance. My husband and I were able to touch the countertop with our barehands. The counter was warm, not hot. And not even warm enough to melt a bread bag. That indicates that it wasn't hot enough to have cracked.

When the counter was installed, we were instructed to not use any appliances that didn't have air circulation under the appliance. The appliance being used had legs that were over 3" in height which left a lot of space between the appliance and the counter.

If you read my statement, I said that the drill trick didn't work. The crack is now 12 inches long. The chipping did not occur at the edge of the counter either. The chipping has occurred on the flat surface on an area of the counter that is rarely used. And, when it is used, it has a bread bag on it or a piece of fruit. How does a bread bag or a piece of fruit chip a counter?

We do not have children in our house, so I can assure you none of them were exploding batteries on our countertop surface. This countertop cracked due to the fault of Cambria, NOT USER ABUSE. You sound like a contractor that would be doing work for a countertop company, quick to blame the user and deflect blame from the manufacturer of the product. I would expect nothing less since they are paying your salary!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

Marks Laura:

I assure you I have no connection to or receive any compensation from Cambria. In fact, I've documented substandard installations of their products here (not directly their fault) and they even threw me out of their trade show booth several years ago. lol.

Your additional information is useful. I can't imagine getting engineered stone hot enough to crack without damaging the finish. That's why I asked and that's why you should ask Cambria the same thing.

Were I you, I'd Google "internal stress in engineered stone". Estone has internal stress "baked in" so to speak during manufacturing. Sometimes the stuff blows up on the saw while being fabricated when the stress is relieved. Perhaps your slab had internal stress that relieved itself spontaneously.

If the cracked piece has to be replaced anyway, I'd send a chunk to a forensic testing lab to see if the slab met the ASTM standards. I've used these guys and they're quite good. If you have proof the slab didn't meet ASTM, it's a slam-dunk win.

Chipping on the flat is very unusual; I've never heard of it and I've been in the estone business since its inception.

I've got no dog in this fight; I'm only hoping to provide useful information that can be used by either side in a fair resolution. Feel free to PM me please. Good luck.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

Too bad estone cracks can't be as easily and inconspicuously repaired as Corian. I'm betting fabricator error on this one, but I didn't check it out since the homeowners were paying anyway. My repairs apparently stay fixed; I've gotten one callback in over 25 years.

• Melty
    vor 3 Jahren

@Joseph Corlett, LLC What does this mean? "Chipping is much more the fault of the person who selected the edge profile than that of product selection." Are you saying the design of the edge of the counter can make it chip easier? I'm getting Cambria counter tops. I'd like to minimize any issues. If a specific edge is more sturdy than another I'd like to know that. I like we have a 1/4 round edge chosen right now.

• laurajmarks
    vor 3 Jahren

I would think twice about Cambria. Their own regional manager told us that he wouldn't recommend quartz in a kitchen that is used. I only wish he would've told us that before we purchased. Also, our chipping is not occurring on an edge. It is occurring on the flat surface of the quartz. You should seriously consider granite. It is more durable for kitchen use.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

"Are you saying the design of the edge of the counter can make it chip easier?"

Absolutely. You can follow the advice of your designer or the advice of the guy who gets the calls to fix chips. More round, less chipping.

A 1/4" radius edge should be fine, but that's the minimum I'd have on any working countertop, particularly at the sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

laurajmarks:

Fortunately deck chips are fairly easy to repair inconspicuously. Overfill with super glue, scrape to flush with a razor blade, and polish a bit.

• Melty
    vor 3 Jahren

What edge would you recommend? Thanks so much for your input.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 3 Jahren

Melty:

A full bullnose is the least likely to chip, but whatever floats yer boat. Anything but that damn pencil edge all the cool kids are so enamored with these days.

• Natasha
    vor 2 Jahren

This is our Cambria Queen Anne waterfall peninsula and backsplash that we have had for over 2 years now, along with the countertops. We chose Cambria after a long and careful research and cannot be happier with the looks, quality of material, and the customer support we received from the Cambria people.

• Taner Seckin
    letztes Jahr

Cambrıa become worst over the years ım a fabrıcator for cambrıa brend but theu never stand behand theır slabs ıfnthere ıs a defects they are readynro blame fabrıcator and try ti charge more for bew slabs think about it if they are not supporting fabricators they not goingbto cover end users i just pay them over $6000 for 2 slabs and ine has crack line defect we discover after cuttingbthe stone you can tell its defect and they blaming my company i been saling cambria last 10 years this is how i get treated i cant emagin what the end user goes teue with this company feel like bigger they get wuality gies down im very sad to say this but we are stop saleing cambria any more with my 2 showrooms we cant take the lost every time they have defact slabs i onlybtelling my experience here notting more then that

safe your money with better company then cambria i guees this is what happens when milk farmers become wuartz campany they dont care about their small business that who help yhem become bigger !

westhampton stone works .

• Frank Marks
    letztes Jahr

We just built a 5500 sq ft home with two kitchens, laundry and 6 bathrooms. There isn’t any Cambria quartz in our new home! I hope Cambria goes bankrupt for the way they treat their dealers and consumers. The dealer we used does not sell Cambria because of their refusal to stand behind their product. I hope the big wig from Cambria that called us reads this. We swore to you that we would never own Cambria again and we meant it! We have over $40,000 worth of granite and quartz in our new home. Your loss! We are sure to tell EVERYONE of our horrible experience with Cambria.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    letztes Jahr

Frank:

You said you would tell everyone about your horrible Cambria experience, then didn't.

• Kaitlyn S
    Vor 8 Monaten

I am confused. Cambria says not to use appliances, but I see it installed as a range backsplash.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Vor 8 Monaten

Kathy:

Never believe pictures in brochures. The photographers never coordinate with the appliance manufacturer's installation instructions, but you must.

• Natasha
    Vor 8 Monaten

I do not quite understand what appliances you mean, but we have had Cambria for over three years on countertops, island and gas range backsplash with no issues. We are going to install it in the bathroom next, on countertop and the walls. We love it!

• roger__m
    Vor 2 Monaten

BEWAREOF CAMBRIA. We spent $9000 on countertops and were in love with them. We spent the extra money because of the warranty and of the it being billed as best in class. After the install, a crack began at the edge of one of the sides. I called the installer and they stated that Cambria would warranty the work. Talking to Cambria is like talking to a parrot. They say the same thing over and over and over with nothing new to add to the conversation. It usually goes something like "The product had no defects when it left the plant. Our repair technician determined that it was not a manufacturing fault. We will do a courtesy repair for you." I asked how this could not be a defect as it was just installed (we had it installed for 3 weeks) Reply was repeated. I asked how we could have "damaged" it. Reply was repeated. I asked it if was due to a cut as it is an end piece and it could have been dropped. Reply was repeated. They called to ask how our experience was with the repair. I stated that I was less than happy and stated that I can now feel the crack and it is darker than it was originally. Reply was repeated.

The countertops were beautiful. If they stood behind their products I would be preaching from the mountain tops about it. I really regret spending this money on them. I should have have just gone with Formica tops.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Vor 2 Monaten

HU: Pictures please. You may have a crack due to fabricator/installer error meaning this isn't Cambria's fault.

• roger__m
    Vor 2 Monaten

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Vor 2 Monaten

Is that a dishwasher below the top please? If so, is there a mechanical fastener through the dishwasher into the top at the crack? If so, this is fabricator/install error, as Cambria prohibits the installation of mechanical fasteners.

I'm not saying you did it, but that crack is consistent with heat damage. I had a lady who ironed on her estone and cracked it just like that.

• roger__m
    Vor 2 Monaten

J-,

Thanks for the response!

What you are seeing next to the countertop is a stove. Are you suggesting that the crack is caused by being next to the stove?

The only warnings/cautions I was given was to not put any hot pans onto the countertop.

I would assume that a countertop would have been designed to be next to a stove and be able to be neat a heat source. Do people not install this counter top next to a stove?

I do have dishwasher on the other side of the sink. It appears that there are metal brackets that are epoxied to the underside of the countertop and screws are screwed into those brackets. That appears to be ok.

Thanks again for your insight!!!!

• PRO
    DeWayne
    Vor 2 Monaten

That is heat damage. Someone used a pan that was to large for the eye, which directs the heat downward on the counter. That is not a manufacturer's defect, or a defect in installation. That is adefect in customer use. Heat damage is never covered by anyone's warranty. And heat damage is always customer abuse.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    Vor 2 Monaten

A top doesn't crack for no reason after it's been installed for 3 weeks. The material is not faulty.

• Taylor Holliday
    vor 13 Tagen

Five years after the original post here, it is still Beware of Cambria! Cambria does not stand behind their product or their warranty, so all I can do at this point is warn others.

I spent $15k to replace all my kitchen marble with Cambria’s Matte Inverness quartz, which is white with black veining, mainly because I wanted it as a gorgeous backsplash for counters and range—as shown on the Cambria website. Within a month of infrequent oven use, the area behind the range started yellowing. I constantly washed it, but within a year it was permanently yellowed. When I asked for it to be cleaned or replaced under their much-touted lifetime warranty, they said it was not their fault but the fault of the installer for installing it behind a range.

The rep said Cambria has “a love-hate relationship with heat” and cannot in fact be used behind a range or stove. When I later pointed out how many many times the quartz is shown installed exactly like this on their website, and how the site explicitly pushes it as the perfect statement for your kitchen walls behind a range, they never answered another email or call from me.

Turns out they have a lot of Better Business Bureau complaints. And similar complaints on review sites prove they are well aware of the problems with Cambria and heat but continue to sell it for use behind stoves.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    vor 13 Tagen

Taylor:

Your installation does not meet the appliance manufacturer's installation requirements. This is often local code and supercedes any Cambria sales literature.

I'm all for holding Cambria accountable, but they can't be held accountable when their product is installed improperly.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    vor 13 Tagen

After looking at the pic again...it's hard to tell. Is that a free standing range? Maybe it was installed too low and the burners and overhanging pans are too close to the countertop material. Can we see another photo farther back?

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.