Houzz Logo Print
cynthia_abbott

Vignette - advice

Cynthia Abbott
vor 5 Jahren
Hi there, I tried to create a little vignette using a vintage shelf in the dining area at my cottage. I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong or what’s missing, but it just doesn’t look or feel like the other great vignettes that I see in magazines, etc. Any advice?

Kommentare (9)

• User
    vor 5 Jahren

It's dull and monochromatic. It's a bunch of knickknacks. Not sure what your goal was. Does it fit in your dining room?

A vignette is a small scene or story. Is there a story this is meant to evoke?

• felizlady
    vor 5 Jahren
    Too monochromatic brown. Love the decoy duck.
  • Cynthia Abbott
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    Thanks to you both. I was trying to use like colours/tones to create unity, but I agree it has fallen flat. I didn’t really have a plan/story in mind when I started. So, add colour and more texture. Are the sizes of things too similar?
  • Cynthia Abbott
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren
    This shelf is now hanging where the Tremblant ski print once hung.
  • decoenthusiaste
    vor 5 Jahren

What about these items is appealing or memorable to you, or are they just stuff you had around? If you don't have any special, meaningful items, at least try to pull the colors from the living area to that wall. Can't tell from the closeup but it looks like all items are about the same height and that the shelves are too narrow to allow for much layering to add interest.

• Tootsie
    vor 5 Jahren
    I think I would move the cabinet on the right of the window to the left of the window. It looks too squished in that spot.
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    vor 5 Jahren

A little too much wood, methinks. Get some more colorful ceramic or glass pieces in there and even a couple of pieces of framed art to either lean on the table below or on one of the shelves. Or you could go for one or two metal sculptures in brass or silver to brighten things a bit.

Some thought starters for shelf styling:

Aubrey · Mehr Info

Ponte Vedra Beach Condo · Mehr Info

• threers
    vor 5 Jahren

I see red in your chairs and in the rug. Add some color, like red,to your shelves. Do you ave any cranberry glass? Walk through your house and look in your china cabinets and pull out what looks very good to you and makes you happy!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.