Houzz Logo Print
katie_ksparkles

Help! Tropical Plants - Narrow Garden Bed in Melbourne

Katie K Sparkles
vor 5 Jahren

I’ve got a garden bed thats 13 meters long and only 50cm deep. It’s next to a pool so I need some ideas that will help me either screen the fence / block out the neighbour a little.

- no fruit drop or seeds

- no flowers or shedding

- tropical look

- I was thinking :

heliconia hot rio nights but is it ok in melbourne cold?

- bangalow palms - with something lower down and then just removing them in 15 years time when they get too big? Start again?

water housea? But I think that sheds too much?

Kommentare (13)

• Katie K Sparkles
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

?

• julie herbert
    vor 5 Jahren
    Hi Katie,
    You could try golden cane palms, rhapis palms, Bangalow palms underplanted with Xanadu, heliconia in Melbourne would be best grown in morning sun with afternoon shade , they struggle in full sun as their leaves can burn without the protection of shade or overhead canopy.
  • Katie K Sparkles
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 5 Jahren

Thanks! I don’t think hot rio nights can be grown in Melbourne as they are not supplied anywhere. Maybe it’s too cold?

what are your thoughts on birds paradise for such a narrow space?

• julie herbert
    vor 5 Jahren
    Gorgeous plant, very vigorous but if you are prepared to put in a bit of maintenance in keeping it from getting out of control then it will look stunning.
  • ushi p
    vor 5 Jahren

hi Katie,

my experience with my plant-beds next to the pool, (at back of pool=1 metre deep x 3 metres long) & along side of pool =50cm deep * 15m long) -

.. initially I planted Palms - removed them after 15 years..

.. I re-planted the 'back-bed' with 'Birds of Paradise, large' - I removed them last year, after 10 years, bcoz they grow very big and spread in all directions & broke-up the garden-wall.

Over the past few months, I have been replanting all of my garden , still in-progress-

. in the beds near the pool, I have planted -

...…. Tiger Grass bcoz it is not as vigorous as Bamboo, doesn't grow as tall and is in small clumps

….. interspersed with some 'ball-shape plants'.. (for example,EUPHORBIA Ascot Rainbow, RUBY Leaf Alternanthera Dentata Compact) and some silvers - check your local nursery for small tidy, compact shrubs....or, small grasses for a different shape

Make sure that whatever you plant does not have any noxious sap etc..

.. https://www.childrens.health.qld.gov.au/poisonous-plant-philodendron/

whatever you plant, there will be some drops into the pool - just make sure you turn on your vaccuum at least once a week...

• Katie K Sparkles
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Thansk so Much! Was it worth having the palms and pulling them up? I’m thinking of doing that for now..

just to see that palm look?

with the birds of

paradise, did you maintain them during the 15 years? I’m thinking if I prune them regularly, I’ll be able to keep

them in check?

• PRO
    Cityscapes Pools & Landscapes
    vor 4 Jahren

Hey Katie,

Our suggestions are

- Heliconias (as they are subject to frost bite in Melbourne definitely)

- Tiger Grass (Thysanolaena Maxima) or Strelitzia Nicolai (but will have to keep them trimmed!)

Hope that helps :)

Cityscapes Pools Team

• ushi p
    vor 4 Jahren

hi Katie,

Palms - they have to be professionally removed …

Birds of Paradise (Strelitzia) - I have found that 'Maintaining" my 'Strelitzia Nicolai, Giant Bird of Paradise' needs to be done when either the 'leaves' are looking torn OR they get too big - and, yes, they were maintained - but, they are vigorous spreaders...

I have also planted a "Ligularia Reniformis Designer Verde" as ground cover - it has spectacular large heart-shaped leaves - I saw it at MIFGS last year & fell in love with it. I bought one from Flower Power a few months ago for $30 (expensive) - it doesn't like afternoon sun and likes a wet, well-drained-soil - have a look at this plant - it is magic planted en masse...

• julie herbert
    vor 4 Jahren
    Hi ushi p,
    Gorgeous plant, teams well with Xanadu , wonderful lush look.
  • Laura P
    vor 3 Jahren

@OP Katie, how did you go? I have a very similar width and length with similar goals (no pool but a covered deck which would not be ideal with dropped leaves/berries). Did you plant anything? What's working?

• Lena Andrews
    vor 2 Jahren

hi @julie herbert, what is the above plant named. I have been looking to buy this but don't know its name. The one that goes well with Xanadu.

• Julie Herbert
    vor 2 Jahren

Hi Lena,
    It’s Ligularia tussilaginea gigantea.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.