Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19449402

Street appeal, step and plant ideas

User
vor 4 Jahren
We’ve spent some money in a new driveway, rendering and I am wanting to cover the front step in maybe merbau. I’d love a wrap around step then the front door is level but hubby says we just need to clad it and keep same height as he thinks a step coming out the same width as the chimney/eaves would make a car hard to access side gate.

I’m also not sure what kind of plants would suit front garden. We’ve done natives but have become messy so I’m open to suggestions.. a new timber fence is on the cards too.

Kommentare (15)

• julie herbert
    vor 4 Jahren
    Having a fence would give you great options to create another beautiful living area, I would do a more formal planting, lots of structural plants, sansivera, buxus , birch a water feature , a place to sit, stone grey mulch, merbau decking would be great , I would keep same size as your porch, could look stunning, looks fabulous what you have done so far.
  • JE C
    vor 4 Jahren

If you take the step to the position of the chimney, the access will be no narrower than it is currently ( although it does look quite narrow) . I think some mass planting of some structural plants would look good.

• PRO
    Cityscapes Pools & Landscapes
    vor 4 Jahren

Hi Kate, Can you post a clearer image of the front garden? We'd be happy to make some plant recommendations!

• User
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren
    Front yard is a mess, a complete MESS!!
    Am wanting to do turf lawn after we put in new fence and edge the garden bed out with sleepers.. currently natives and couple of large birds nest ferns. Area gets some morning sun then shaded as its south facing.

What kind of plants are structural? I like large foliage plants..
  • User
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren
    Not sure why correct photos aren’t loading will try again.
  • julie herbert
    vor 4 Jahren
    Something like this could suit your house, similar to ideas suggested , but I think a more formal look behind your fence would look great. But if you are in a more tropical area the choice ‘s are great for large foliage plants.
  • JE C
    vor 4 Jahren
    Hi Kate, the reason I asked about what the house/garden looks like from the street is because I was wondering if you need trees/ hedge behind your fence for more privacy? Were you thinking of one with wooden slats like Julie posted? Do you like formal or informal gardens?
  • User
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren
    There are some messy native trees like gums and quite tall Grevilleas but I’m happy to cut these back.
    I’m not sure if a formal garden will suit a new timber vertical batten style fence which will be quite high for privacy, 1700mm..

I’d love more plant suggestions, love bird of paradise, grasses but I know they can look messy.
  • User
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren
    Julia are they agaves in the first pic?
  • julie herbert
    vor 4 Jahren
    Hi Kate,
    Agave can add structure to the garden and look fabulous planted among large leaf foliage, the smoky grey would blend beautifully with your house, soft colours with a bit of drama looks stunning.
  • julie herbert
    vor 4 Jahren
    The plant is Furcraea foetida , fabulous structural plant
  • PRO
    Cityscapes Pools & Landscapes
    vor 4 Jahren

Love these ideas!! Make sure you share with us what you end up doing!!

• User
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 4 Jahren

Ok we have decided on 600x300 bluestone pavers for the front patio but now need to decide on how to lay them.
    Was thinking longways but in a stacked or brickwork pattern? Stacked seems more modern?

• julie herbert
    vor 4 Jahren

Absolutely agree Kate, stacked will look fabulous.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.