Houzz Logo Print
marylynn27

Island - how is the "shelf" or dining part of island supported?

marylynn27
vor 3 Jahren
My daughter is a quadriplegic and typical islands do not work for her to sit at to eat. This would be ideal but can you share how the seating portion of the island is supported? I appreciate the help.
Longboat Key Remodel · Mehr Info

Kommentare (3)

• PRO
    Westin Hills
    vor 3 Jahren

My heart goes out to you, your daughter and your family. Growing up, I had a close friend who was paralyzed from the waste down. So, I'm somewhat familiar with those challenges.

We custom made a steel sub-frame to support the large 32" cantilever bar top on the left.

I hope this helps??

Sincerely,

Jeremy Peterson, Pres.

Westin Hills, Corp.

• marylynn27
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Mr. Peterson, thank you for such a quick response. There are many challenges my daughter faces every day and anyway to make her life a bit easier and offer her more independence is the goal. She is truly my inspiration. She is in the process of opening the first of its kind rehabilitation center specific to spinal cord injured. She had to leave home for ten years to get specialized therapy as there is nothing within a 500 mile radius.

We are looking to do about an 18" cantilever bar top at table height so she could sit at the island with everyone else and not feel isolated. Is this something to discuss with the architect for him to design? I am not sure who I would ask to help with this so your direction is sooooo appreciated. Thank you, Mary Lynn

• PRO
    Westin Hills
    vor 3 Jahren

Mary Lynn,

An 18" overhang is very close to a standard overhang. I would think the brackets used to support a 16" overhang would due just fine. For our 32" O.H., we collaborated directly with the counter top company to design the support system. If you decide to go with a much larger OH. Then I recommend collaborating with both an Architect / Engineer and the counter top company.

I wish your daughter the best on opening up her facility.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Peterson, Pre.

Westin Hills, Corp.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.