Houzz Logo Print
prillo

Does this design element work for an Arts & Crafts kitchen?

prillo
vor 3 Jahren

Hi,

We're remodeling a 13 x 19 kitchen in a formal Florida home, custom built in 1990. Here's a general idea of the look I want, with white cabinets on the perimeter and an oak island in the center:

I'm planning to do an island similar to this, but a bit more cottage style, with bun feet instead of the traditional Craftsman chunky columns:

My question - Can I incorporate wire grilles to some of the cabinet faces on the perimeter, like this?

Is it "wrong" to combine that with the stylized Craftsman look of the island? We're not going for historically accurate, but I tend to want too many novel things and may need to rein it in... wondering what an experienced eye would say to this.

Many thanks,

April

Kommentare (27)

• PRO
    IRP Architects Pty Ltd
    vor 3 Jahren

Having those wired cupboards do fit best in a spacious design with minimal modern features. Having the flat roofing as in the first two pictures creates a more enclosed feel whilst bright cupboards and marble benchtops would capture the attention, taking away from the wired cupboards.

The bun legs on a bench would certainly compliment the cupboards well, but I would recommend a few things to suit the wired cupboard feature: having round and timber hanging lights, open and arched ceiling, dark marble benchtops, light grey cupboards, and keeping modern features less visible (i.e. how the oven is towards the ground and the kitchen is embedded into a wall as in the last photo).

These are a lot of little things that would work well with the wired cupboards, but unfortunately it seems to take away many of the other aspects you are looking to have.

I hope this helps you make a decision

prillo hat IRP Architects Pty Ltd gedankt
  • Helen
    vor 3 Jahren

I agree that the wire grilles might be a bridge too far in terms of not complementing the rest of your design choices - and I say this as someone who has a LOT going on in my recent remodel LOL.

I didn't slavishly recreate a specific style either but incorporated elements of Prairie, Art Deco, Art Nouveau and Arts & Crafts/Mission.

prillo hat Helen gedankt
  • User
    vor 3 Jahren

I think it's just a bit much and would take away from all the other details... and if I'm being honest, they make me think of a chicken coop.

prillo hat User gedankt
  • eandhl2
    vor 3 Jahren

Beautiful inset cabs in the first two photos.

prillo hat eandhl2 gedankt
  • prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Thanks so much for your thoughts. They are greatly appreciated. To fill in some details, we do have high arched ceilings, about 14 ft high at the center of the kitchen. I'd hoped to back the grilles with glass, as I don't want to have to dust more than required.

I think it may be best to *either* stick with the heavily styled Arts & Crafts island in contrasting wood, *or* go with the grilles and keep a simple island that matches the perimeter cabs (like that third photo above). My untrained eye thinks that the oak island is more Stickley/American A&C, while the grilles are more English A&C. Am I right?

Speaking of origins of things, I am wondering where else grilles in cabinets show up... I know a lot of people refer to them as "chicken wire" (i.e. the farmhouse look), but I always thought of them as very elegant, like the vintage French Provincial furniture I loved as a child. They also remind me of English pubs, where I have seen grille front doors along the liquor cabinets behind a bar.

Are there other origins? I do remember this similar "ventilated" look from 1920s kitchens:

From a practical perspective, they seem to appear in these kitchens where humidity might be high (under the sink) or where heat needs to dissipate. I'd love to incorporate that practical element, as it seems to work with the Arts & Crafts philosophy, but I don't want to throw too many design motifs on the pile.

Thanks again,

April

• prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Oops, 1920s "ventilated" kitchen image referred to above.

• Shawna
    vor 3 Jahren

There is a way in which the origins don’t necessarily matter. I say this for a couple reasons. For some folks, it’s always going to look farmhouse no matter how many times you explain that it’s actually French or Victorian. It’s also a matter of how the look comes together in your particular kitchen. If you decide on the wire “look,” you’ll have to be sure the rest of the elements compliment it. This is true of any elements you decide to incorporate but more true of something as specific as wired cabinets.

prillo hat Shawna gedankt
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 3 Jahren

I think your idea of a large island that is oak or contrasting wood tone to the white perimeter cabinets is a great idea and not to use it might be a missed opportunity. Whether you use the bun feet or not, I don't think makes that much difference.

You sound very strongly leaning toward the wire cabinets doors. I wonder if you couldn't find a small way to use that idea somewhere else instead of the kitchen cabinet doors? You have already recognized about yourself that you like a lot of novel things. Do you have any references to past decisions you've made where you used a lot of novel things and whether you were happy with that outcome? Have you decorated before n that way?

I agree with IRP Architects - I can't see wire doors on white cabinets. It makes them stand out, when really maybe what you are trying to do is have texture. I'd like them better in the color cabinet in the photo above or gray. The other design elements IRP suggests also sound like they would work well with wire cabinet doors.

And of course, I think you would rue the day you used wire if you don't use glass. And if you use glass too, are you asking for a cleaning difficulty as well? Are you going to be cleaning inside each little circle of wire to clean the glass? Sounds pretty impractical, even from the point of view of whoever is building the cabinet to whoever is cleaning the kitchen.

prillo hat prairiemoon2 z6b MA gedankt
  • prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

These are all great points. Many thanks :) I hadn't really recognized the stark contrast of the white cabinets vs wire, til it was pointed out.

I've only done the bathrooms over prior to this. I restrained myself from a novelty perspective, and I've been happy with the outcome, so that's a lesson I'll take and try to mimic this time.

I think I may find a way to include the element somewhere (or not!) but it'd have to be a minimal effect... like a narrow strip framed in simple light rail type molding. One of my big inspirations is the Arts & Crafts kitchen portfolio from Devol Cabinets in the UK... they offer narrow strips of perforated metal for this purpose.

We are doing over the laundry at the same time as the kitchen, and I first thought of metal lattice in the laundry, to complete a narrow gap that we'll have between the bottom of the wall cabinets, and the top of the washer/dryer. It'd allow heat to escape from behind it, and keep the ugly hoses concealed. Maybe just that type of hint of it is enough.

April

• Isaac
    vor 3 Jahren

Some old doors have glass with wire (chicken wire or a grid) embedded in them, presumably for security. No idea how you would source a reproduction of that. If texture is what you are after, consider fluted glass.

• prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Isaac, I have been to antique sales for over 20 years and haven't seen that kind of glass yet. It sounds amazing.

On the white cabinets, I'm seeking one little A&C "bump" of an addition that'd tie them to the rustic oak island moreso. The hardware will be oil rubbed bronze (a living finish, I'm OK with that). The countertops will be matte surface dolomite (similar to carrera marble in terms of color, with occasional subtle streaks of copper/bronze color). Maybe between that and the exposed barrel hinges, that's enough?

Thanks,

April

• prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Here's Devol's "aged brass vent covers". I know I sound ignorant, but does that mean a vent that's built into the floor? I've been a Floridian all my life... we don't have vents built into the floor this far south (we have no basements), but I have seen them in trips north. Would someone vent a fridge or an oven with something like this? Even just the decorative effect of the same (not functional)?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren

April, There are a number of different glass choices you could consider. One is the old fashioned bubble glass. it looks hand made. Arts & Crafts also does stained glass, you could have a small panel of stained glass in front of the top part of one of your windows, or use one small panel at the top of a glass cabinet door, or if you have some tall doors or pantry doors you could install one in.

If you don't have a vent in your kitchen, I can't see trying to add one just to use the grill. and no I wouldn't think you would use those for refrigerator or stove.

• Kate
    vor 3 Jahren

You can get glass with the wire embedded. Or seed glass might me a nice compromise.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren

Seed glass looks similar to what I was referring to as 'bubble' glass.

• prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

Hmmm... I'm Googling bubble glass and seed glass... interesting textures! I do like the look. So in your eyes, that would be less "imposing" than trying to include the metal lattice somewhere?

We only have vents in ceilings here, and houses are built on concrete slabs, so no floor vents anywhere. Sometimes I think I should have been born in another place (and time!). :)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren

Well, no, I can't really say why seed glass and not wire mesh, it's just an instinct for me. [g]. But....I was just giving you another option for something novel that might fit better with Arts and Crafts.

prillo hat prairiemoon2 z6b MA gedankt
  • prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

I do understand. The bubble/seed glass looks "subtle novelty", while the metal grille kind of commands attention. I appreciate the thoughtful options!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren

And, I just did a search for 'arts & crafts glass choices for kitchen cabinets' - and didn't see one thing that I thought worked well. I like Arts & Crafts to a point, and then some of it does not appeal to me. The geometric stain glass panels....too busy, too boring. Then there were some stained glass windows in the cabinets that were way too much. I think a little stained glass goes a long way. One lamp shade in the LR or one hanging panel that is a design I love in front of an out of the way window, like a hall way, is enough for me.

Classic design, that is not trendy, remains relevant and appealing for a long time. And that is often done with simplicity. Trying to add too many details of everything you like can sometimes end up being too much. It's like spicing up a recipe, you can do too much. It's like gardening - if you go to the nursery and say 'Oh, I like that.' and 'Oh, I love that.' - you can end up with a mish mash that is not cohesive instead of well designed beds that have a big picture effect.

That's why I asked you if you've used that approach with other projects and how you liked the end result. A lot of people are very detail oriented. You may be. I know I can be. I struggle between choosing plants I love vs good design. I have a tendency to be a collector of plants. But I also like good design when I see it. What it comes down to though is whether you are happy with what you end up with.

One thing to consider if you are a detail person, is adding too many details that are permanent is different than those that can be temporary and changed easily. For me, if I stick to classic big picture choices for what will be permanent and expensive to change, then I can enjoy choosing details that are the opposite. Dishes, kitchen towels, rugs on the floor. Lots of ways to add detail that if you get tired of it, you can easily change.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren

Last post... [g]

I went looking for an Arts & Crafts style kitchen that I liked. I like craftsmanship in any form. I like nature. I like wood. But there is a lot of Arts&Crafts style that is too heavy for me.

This is my idea of classic design with an Arts & Crafts tone to it...

An English Arts & Craft Kitchen

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 3 Jahren

Is your house Arts and Craft seems unlikely when it was built in 1990 so maybe provide some more info and a picture of the house would be nice.

• prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

PrairieMoon2, I think we are two peas from the same pod... your description of stepping back from the novelty plants at the nursery and getting a big-picture plan sounds exactly like me. I have the angel on my shoulder saying "remember to keep it timeless", while the devil wants to clutter everything up. I have definitely become aware of this over the years, but it still pulls at me. I like (and have employed) the notion of relegating novelty to the things that aren't built-in and expensive to replace.

I love the look of the English A&C kitchen you mentioned. I have seen it before and it's beautiful... Devol Kitchens has a very similar aesthetic... they are my mainstay inspiration photos I keep revisiting. Notice that in both these sites, their choice of glass is just plain glass. I'm taking note. ;) I too don't really like most stained glass, and I'm trying to avoid the stalwart heaviness of Arts & Crafts, also because this is Florida and most interiors are very light & bright.

Patricia, I can take a photo of the house in the AM. The kitchen itself is currently being gutted in prep for tile demo... not sure I could get a good set of photos in there at this point. It's not Arts & Crafts, it's a Florida contemporary with a formal floor plan. The man who built it was a custom home builder, and he built this one for himself & lived here til we bought it 14 years ago.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren

Prillo, Isn't that interesting that we do seem to be similar in some ways. [g]. I would also agree, a Florida home as an Arts & Crafts would be difficult to pull off. Light and bright...I'm sure. I can see that English A&C in Florida though. I haven't seen Devol Kitchens but I'll give it a look.

Well...I think you have your head on straight and you should have a very good chance of ending up with what you want. When is the kitchen expected to be completed?

• prillo
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

With any luck, we can be completed by January. Fingers crossed :) I'd love to post some pics of the final result!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    vor 3 Jahren

Look forward to it. :-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    vor 3 Jahren

I am all for a bit of design license when dealing with exterior/ interior design but honestly this IMO is too far off the style of the house to really work visually or for any kind of resale. I did this in my 1905 1 1/2 storey very simple house it worked well but only because I did the whole interior very contemporary . Is that the plan you have is to go Arts and Craft all through the house? Sorry but a kitchen still needs to work with the rest of the home it is not designed in a vacuum.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.