Houzz Logo Print
tatutulip2006

Help with garden makeover

Melody
vor 2 Jahren

Hi everyone,
We would like to do a quick makeover so we can enjoy our tiny garden a bit more this year.

Recently we have bought those screens for the fence to make it more interesting. Not sure if we should change the fence colour but as the garden is small we think keeping it light will give a better sense of space?!

The shed will eventually be moved to the side of the house but for now we will have to live with it where it is. The garden it north facing so we don’t get much sun at the back of the house at all and space is limited.

I’m thinking to paint the brick wall and we would like to replace the stones for grass but that will be a big job that we might not be able to do this year.

Any suggestion appreciated! Thank you!

Kommentare (14)

• Wumi
    vor 2 Jahren

Don’t paint the brick wall! A good jet wash should clean up the wall, pavers and concrete posts.

• Melody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Thanks for your comment. I really dislike that wall and the colour of the brick so not sure if just jet washing it will make the garden look more coherent 😕

• Jules Mc
    vor 2 Jahren

I'm.sorry to say that I think the panels on the fence are drawing your eye to the fences for the wrong reason. I would consider spending money this year on black fence paint, tall plants that will survive in the brick wall so the fence is a backdrop and will recede rather than be the feature. I'd also paint the shed black too. Some additional stones to hide the membrane coming through would be good too. The egg chair could be placed at the side of the shed to close up that awkward gap.

• Melody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Hi Jules, thanks for your comment.
    We had dark colour fence before and the garden felt much smaller than actually is so I’m not sure about that. The currently location of the egg chair is where we get a bit of sunshine in the afternoon (garden is north facing) so don’t fancy sitting on a shaded area really. Thanks for your comments anyway 🙂

• Jules Mc
    vor 2 Jahren

A central feature would be good too. If you don't want to move your table and chairs to the middle of the space. How about a fire pit with a couple of chairs around it. Something like this would drawn the eye to the middle and make the space seem larger and more coherent   also meant to say, I think you'd like the colour of the brick wall better against a different coloured backdrop and with taller plants. Good luck. Would love to see what upgrades you make.

• Melody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

You have raised some good points there. Options are endless! Lots to consider! I’ll keep the post updated with the changes we make. Thanks!

• Jules Mc
    vor 2 Jahren

I know what you mean  about the location of the chair. I have a metre square patch in my garden that gets the last of the sun and its the most used part of the garden - apart from the bins at the far end ὤ8

• tamp75
    vor 2 Jahren

I can see what you mean about dark fences, however, like Jules says, if they’re dark as a backdrop to lots of greenery in front, the space won’t seem so small because you won’t see the fence so much. When you can’t see the borders clearly, it creates an illusion of a bigger space. I wonder if you could repurpose the decorative panels within the garden, eg as part of a screen for areas, such as the shed. As it’s shady, jungle / woodland plants would be great & would be fantastic against dark plants. Plants such as fatsia japonica, hostas, ferns, a tree fern or two would be amazing - and relatively easy to look after once established.

• PRO
    The Rooted Concept Garden Designs
    vor 2 Jahren

Hi there Melody,

Painting the fences a charcoal colour will give the illusion that they are further away and that the garden is bigger. This is a tried and tested trick that works everytime in a small garden. In gardens that are also shady, picking plants with the right colour pallet is the trick that helps to Brighten in up with a dark background (which mqkes the garden look bigger).

I definitely think that the current layout does not favour your garden at all as there is too much emphasys on the borders and not much going on in the centre (recipe to make it look smaller). Screens are really nice but place even more emphasys on the borders as it is. I would change the layout and relocate the lovely screens as features in the centre.

I am a garden designer and could make a plan for you (that you could do in parts as and when you can) that would make your garden much more interesting and look bigger. It would also include planting selection that would aesthetically look perfect with it and that would also thrive for years to come (as I would match it to the unique conditions of your garden).

Please have a look at my website for portfolio and get in touch if interested.

www.therootedconceptgardendesign.co.uk 

Many thanks,

Deborah

deborahbiasoli@gmail.com

• Melody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Thank you Deborah for your ideas and offer to help. Your website is lovely and I can tell you really have the gift for design. Unfortunately we couldn’t afford your services but thanks for message anyway. 🙂

• Sonia
    vor 2 Jahren

I would suggest you don’t paint the wall as masonry paint soon starts to flake and look untidy so extra work. What is under the shingle? Is it soil? If it is then removing the shingle, digging over and raking the soil is not hugely difficult, and then you can lay turf. However grass doesn’t always grow well in shade. I think the main thing missing is lush planting. There are many plants that love shade as has already been suggested. If you can access any soil under the shingle then adding shrubs will make a huge difference. Here’s some ideas of shady gardens.

• Melody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Thank you so much for your comment Sonia. Under the stones it’s soil and our plan is to put grass but like you said, the fact that it’s shady grass will probably die so we were considering artificial grass instead as it’s only a small area and would help to bring green to the garden. Planting shrubs is great and worth considering! It’s such a a quirky shaped plot! A nightmare in so many ways but we will get there eventually🙈. Thanks again 🙂

• Melody
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 2 Jahren

Hi Eliza, thank you so much for your help! The idea of making the garden more ‘round’ makes total sense. I’ve been living in this house for 16 years but we never got it right so I feel it’s time to make some small changes. We plan to do a kitchen extension in the future so we know the garden will get messy when we do it but I’d love to sit in the garden this summer and enjoy the outdoor space a bit more 🙏🏽

Buying plants is definitely a priority! You’ve given me some great ideas so thanks again!

Oh the egg chair is lovely indeed! We’ve got ours from Aldi and it’s so comfortable! My favourite spot in the garden for sure🙂.

Have a lovely day!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.