Houzz Logo Print
webuser_604619467

Ideas for uneven look on bottom of kitchen wall cabinets?

Emma Carter
letztes Jahr
zuletzt bearbeitet:letztes Jahr

I would really appreciate advice on how to rectify the error on my wall cabinets. The kitchen fitter said the end panels were obviously too long but only confirmed this after he'd fitted it all to the wall 😩. So I am left with these two end panels protruding lower than the bottom of the pelmet. Should I add on a larger pelmet to level it all up? Add a shelf on the space above the sink? Or get him to cut off the bottom and seal (guess this would compromise the waterproofness of the panel tho as gloss MDF?)Photo in comments

Kommentare (12)

• Emma Carter
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

• PRO
    Jane Lee Interiors
    letztes Jahr

Who made the error? If it was the kitchen company I’d get them to sort it out and replace with what should have been there in the design you paid for

Emma Carter hat Jane Lee Interiors gedankt
  • Emma Carter
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

Thanks both. Yes, I did feel this should have been picked up by the fitter. Design was done by Howdens but I bought from DIY kitchens, at fitters advice. Cupboards exactly the same size, but end panels with Howdens were 752mm and DIY kitchens was 800 (found that out now by looking). Both standard options with the plans, no alternatives, and different size pelmets. So I made the assumption the fitter would look at that when fitting it all. A bit lost of what to do. Can he extricate those panels easily, cut to size at top end, then put back in? Or have to rip whole lot off?

• Daisy England
    letztes Jahr

I would have a word with the fitter. They might take some tugging but he may be able to get them out.

• User
    letztes Jahr

I bought end panels from DIY kitchens (for my Ikea kitchen, whose base panels don't reach the floor). They are meant to be cut to size.

Emma Carter hat User gedankt
  • PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    letztes Jahr

I think your fitter needs to learn how to fit a kitchen, the panels aren't to long, they are the correct size at 800mm.

The 800mm size fits the modern cornice/pelmet which is 38mm thick [3000x38x49 according to the diy website] so if you have cornice/pelmet at the top and bottom of a 720 wall unit then the cornice/pelmet will butt up against the panel top and bottom [saving on having to mitre a return and making it easier for the fitter] adding up to 796mm and you have 2mm top and bottom oversize. So if you have the modern cornice running through [as you have] then your fitter should cut 40mm from the top of the panel.

Looking at the pic though it looks like your fitter has turned the cornice/pelmet on its side so its showing 50mm [could be wrong], so i don't think thats been fitted properly either, but at the very least your fitter needs to remove the 2 decors, cut them down and refit them and you need to check that he doesn't scratch them in the process. How he does it isn't your problem.

Don't pay him till you're happy. I'd also go through and check the rest of your kitchen if this is an example of his workmanship.

For someone who recommends diy kitchens you'd think he'd know how to fit it!

Emma Carter hat Lifestyle Kitchens gedankt
  • Emma Carter
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

Thanks Lifestyle kitchens, I did do that measuring too so worked out it could have fit. Frustrating. Rest of work seems ok to me. A couple of not so even gaps but I can live with those.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    letztes Jahr

@Emma Carter is the modern pelmet showing at 50mm? as i think it looks in the pic.

• Emma Carter
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

Yes, both cornice and pelmet have been fitted at 50mm showing

• PRO
    A Class Kitchens of Bedford
    letztes Jahr

Hello Emma,

Panels aren’t always the same size as the cabinets, but they just need cutting off at the top and fitting inline.

It’s a bit of a faff now that the kitchen has been fitted and you’ve got the cabinet between them but it’s not impossible. I would definitely ask him to pop back and sort it for you.

Emma Carter hat A Class Kitchens of Bedford gedankt
  • Emma Carter
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    letztes Jahr

Thanks Class Kitchens.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.