Houzz Logo Print
karen_murry31

Is it possibel to remove / move a fixed shelf in a kitchen cabinet?

Karen Murry
Vor 2 Monaten

We've just finished a major renovation including a new kitchen and we misjudged the height of a shelf in our 'appliance cupboard' for our coffee machine - it is a bit too high and would work better on the bench - but in order for it to fit we would need to raise the shelf it's currently on.

Our bench top height is 100cm from floor and the top of the shelf the coffee maker is currently on is 142cm from floor.

Our kitchen designer/cabinet maker has not been open to any post installation conversation - tbh although the quality of the materials and work seems very good the process of dealing with him was horrible and stressful so I'd like to know if this is something it's even worth asking him to do. I know we would have to pay for it as it's not a mistake/fault on his part.

I can't see how the shelf is fixed - so obviously some kind of hidden/concealed fixing used.

So my questions are - is it possible - how could it be done - and would it be worth it?

Kommentare (5)

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    Vor 2 Monaten

Hello Karen

Looking at how your cabinet has been made and then painted, it is not possible to move just the shelf in question; not without destroying the cabinet. The solution would be to ask your cabinetmaker (or another cabinetmaker) to make you another Appliance Cabinet section.

The open shelf carcass section here should be separable from the adjoining cabinetry & removable / replaceable.

Hope this helps, Malcolm.

Karen Murry hat Compass Kitchens gedankt
  • Kate
    Vor 2 Monaten

Can u put a pull out shelf in the bottom where your kettle is to make easier to use? Coffee machine looks shorter than kettle

• Kate
    Vor 2 Monaten

I meant shorter than blender

• Karen Murry
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    Vor 2 Monaten

Hi Malcolm @Compass Kitchens,

Thank you for your reply - knowing that I should stop wasting time thinking about trying to move just the shelf - helps a lot!

As I'm in Brisbane and you're in Adelaide I'm assuming you wouldn't be available to do the work if we wanted to? But I think you're right about the open carcass being seperate and therefor removable if the whole cabinet section were disassembled and then reinstalled with a new carcass.

Would you be able to give a ball park range for what it might cost to have that done using those materials? The external dimensions of the carcass are - Height 89 - Width 42 - Depth 50. And it is laminate and laminate board I think - Egger U999 PM Black.

Totally understand if you can't do that - your input has already been super helpful :)

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    Vor 2 Monaten

Hello Karen, it will be best if you contact a local kitchen manufacturer, cabinetmaker, for the extra information you need, as this will be more accurate.

Hope this helps, Malcolm.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.