Houzz Logo Print
ryanhillarie

Any regular Houses on Houzz

ryanhillarie
vor 10 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 10 Jahren
Mostly everything on Houzz is multimillion dollar homes. It would be great to have something like Houzz but for "regular people" houses.

Kommentare (165)

• kimdee24
    vor 10 Jahren
    @dianahb -- agreed! There are tons of ways to have 'art' and as long as it means something to you or speaks to you in some way, that's all that matters. Most of the art in my house looks great but I think the most expensive piece in my house was $300. Most of it came from, believe it or not, furniture stores... who have pieces hanging on the wall in their displays and are usually for sale. The gallery wall in my house is made up of framed bits of artwork that my great aunt did way back in the 1930's. It's become quite a conversation piece and everyone stops to look at the hand lettered signs she did while taking a mail order lettering course from Toronto.

Blue stage · Mehr Info
  • eightpondfarm
    vor 10 Jahren
    i have nerves of steel, please don't worry. i'm ok. but on here.....i think we all realize from photos produced that not every professional has good taste and not every consumer has poor taste. it's not a given. and everyone who comments feels their ideas are relevant and worth opining. it's something we all have in common...... free advise (it's worth what you pay for it!)
  • wyolinda
    vor 10 Jahren
    I'd suggest that people interested in affordable art and home decor check out www.novica.com. They are affiliated with National Geographic and have original works in nearly any style you might like, and include oils, watercolors, acrylics, prints, and photos, as well as textiles, pottery, glass, wood, etc.
  • PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    vor 10 Jahren
    One thing I can tell you design followers and lovers is that this is a field where opinions of all kinds proliferate at an alarming and overwhelming rate, sellers promote free design advice and tv reinforces bad and good design strategies non-stop. An experienced professional will cut through all the noise and distractions and keep a client focused and on track while bringing creativity, finesse, artistry and humanity to large or small design problems.

Design is a process and an adventure of sorts. Just like other trusted professionals you may consult, our work and sharing with you will be confidential and personal and only publicized with permission. My client may get feedback from 10 relatives and 10 friends but, I'm not consulting with them. I'm consulting with my client and focused on the work before us.

Part of what I do is teach when I consult. This Is the approach sanctioned by The American Society of Interior Designers though professionals will vary widely in their styles with clients. Some clients want more information and some want less. I think people should interview for designers just like you would for any professional service and look for a good match up between your temperament and the professionals temperament you will entrust with your funds and personal information. Don't get hung up on whether you like their work so much because, a designer's past work is individual to that client and their situation.

A true professional will strive to achieve results based on the specific design project at hand filtered through the uniqueness that is you and the talent, skills, resources and experience mastered by the designer. We're here to help and take care of each other and there is no time to waste!
  • dogmom5
    vor 10 Jahren
    I agree about artwork and not spending a lot of $ for it. Years ago when my husband & I were given a trip to St. Maarten we came across a placemat which was hand painted, native abstract, very "artsy", which we bought, had it framed and looks like it's worth a lot. Thing is to look/consider things outside the box. There is so much out there that is unique, inexpensive. I've incorporated these types of touches throughout our home. When people come here, they say our home is a reflection of me & the things I have displayed are what I really love. Doesn't mean I spent a lot of $ on them, just what touches me inside. But isn't junk either. I do love looking at Houzz, getting ideas from every source. In my "travels" I always look for that special touch that speaks to me. While in St. Maarten I fell in love with an artist from there. Since unable to purchase a picture, I noticed there were postcards of her works all over the island & many were framed for sale. I would never have thought of doing that. I bought every postcard I could find & years later matted & framed them myself. We have a beautiful display we enjoy today. My point is there are always alternatives to having beautiful things for us average homeowners that don't necessarily mean spending a great deal of money. I love the search for getting that right item too. Have to add eventually I was able to buy 2 of that artist's prints. I think Houzz provides me with all the items that are available, how to use them. I love looking at those amazing homes, the decor, ideas, placing furniture. It is a wealth of information I would never get from any other source or a clue what's out there. Doesn't matter I will never have that gorgeous tub with water coming down from the ceiling overlooking the most picturesque view of the ocean. But maybe I could tile the bathroom floor in a more creative way, display my towels differently. I have been adding color in our home instead of the white paint have used for years. Now I surround myself with my favorite colors of different shades of teals. A new coat of paint does wonders for inexpensively changing the look. Right now I am changing the walls in the kitchen from coral to an apple green. Since the kitchen is small, with not much wall it will not even take a gallon of paint. So if I have it for a year or two & doing it myself there isn't a lot of money invested. Like the interior decorator advised doing as much work as you can yourself. That makes doing things much more economical. There are so many resources out there to give every instruction, tips, info for doing it yourself. Doesn't matter to me how long it takes to complete. Eventually it gets done. The large hardware stores give workshops too.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    I know America is a relatively young country compared to the rest of the world and we are still learning how to meet our daily needs and yet live "with style". There is an art to living and everyday is the studio where we compose our creation....our lives. Why would you NOT give our heart, time, trouble, effort, intelligence, spirit and talent to this endeavor!
  • makennac
    vor 10 Jahren
    As I've said before, an artist's canvas takes many forms. Although I hesitate to continue to take this discussion off subject, it seems to have turned toward the subject of expensive art. There are discussions on Houzz devoted to bringing interest to gallery arrangements by incorporating dimensional art. And please bear in mind the very true adage that "art is in the eye of the beholder". Remember that your home is not a gallery, and the NYT art critic is probably not a frequent dinner guest. Art should draw your attention. You should find it pleasant and interesting. The palette should compliment your decor. Art isn't limited to framed pieces. Art is a handmade ceramic tile perched on a plate stand. It's your son's first grade art painting framed and matted. It's a floating shelf picked up at a thrift shop or Marshall's, re-painted by you to match your interior, then popped on your wall to display your favorite things. Mine displays my shadowbox-framed, treasured collection of antique safety razors I inherited from my three uncles' who were barbers, an antique cast iron toy and my grandmother's cameo-glass vase. To me, that's art! I've described the top corner of one gallery in my home, which has taken many years to evolve. That's what homes do: They evolve. No one should expect to magically create the gorgeous, completed creations posted on Houzz. I believe that's why they created their brilliant software that allows us to develop our own individual Idea books. What a brilliant concept! If you're looking for color inspiration look in your closet and find your favorite color. If it's too bold for a primary hue, use it for as an accent color on your powder room ceiling, or paint on a lamp base, or pull a platter out of the cupboard and display it. Although I own some valuable gallery art, it's in my hallway, while my uncles' razors take highest honors in our great room. As though access to some of the top designers time, experience and ideas was not enough of a gift, Houzz has taken us into the homes of some of the 1%, a rare opportunity very few of us would get through any other means. When I peak inside these impossible dreams, I remain grounded in the comfortable reality of my 99%, while gaining tons of inspiration and ideas. Thank you, Houzz.
  • PRO
    User
    vor 10 Jahren
    You can make a regular home very interesting however it takes a great deal of work. One has step out of the box and create points of interest in a home. Different color combinations, creative furniture placement, and accessories just do not appear. Neither will you obtain this look from a post on houzz or any other site. You must think creative, work, and try different things. Their is no such thing as a regular house if you work at being creative
  • vee228
    vor 10 Jahren
    Select Hardwood Floor, seems to have VERY thin skin. I laughed out loud at his "exposed nerve alert" warning. I can't believe anyone, especially a man would use such a silly saying. Calm down, guy, you need some bedside manner, and if that's how you deal with the public, then Oy vey, people who seek you out must be masochistic.
    Talk about putting yourself at the center of attention....Holy mackerel, I'm still laughing at that dippy saying!
  • pcmom1
    vor 10 Jahren
    I have enjoyed reading the comments on art in our homes. I am one that has, through the years, gathered more art than wall space. I change out some art by the season.

One of my favorite pieces is an old map of Italy. I found it at an open air market in Lucca, Italy. Brought it home and framed it up, it is now in the dining room. So nice to see it and remember that trip!

And, one more sort of funny one: Went on a real budget trip to Paris ($800 for hotel and airfare for 6 days in March of 2000)., I had budgeted $400 for my purchase of souvenirs and spent the entire sum on an antique petit point purse I found at the flea market. Husband just about had a heart attack! Young son said, "Why do you give her money?"

That purse is on a stand, also in the dining room! More smiles!
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    @bobby2288...
    FYI... it wasn't MY exposed nerve I was referring to, and I can assure you I'm definitely not "thin skinned", nor consider myself to be the "center of attention" at any time.
    That post was so long ago I can't recall the context of what the back & forth was about... and if I thought it was that critical, I'd invest the effort to go back & check.
    Regarding the fine folks who "seek me out"... all I can suggest is that if you'd care to contact me via email at: david@selecthardwoodfloor.com, I'll be happy to forward your contact info to some of those people so that they can speak for themselves in regards to my "bedside manner" or their tendencies toward masochism.
    I honestly think that's a much more viable approach to clarifying my customer relations, rather than hypothesizing based on an online back & forth that you have come to the party late on, and rendered your opinion, while basking behind the "safety" of anonymity.
    Insert "smiley face" here!
  • mefor
    vor 10 Jahren
    I just wanted to say that most of the people I help on this site are all "regular" people with normal, modest homes. I also wanted to say that kmedl is a houzzers dream come true. She knows exactly how to use this site, utilize the skills of the people who comment on her dilemmas, even knows how to handle the unwanted comments and sometimes rude comments with decorum. When you work on something with someone, and they really listen to you, even if they don't like the idea, and show you all the things they are trying as the project progresses, it makes coming on here to help people so pleasant and gratifying. :)
  • PRO
    User
    vor 10 Jahren
    I learn more from a critique than a blind compliment. We all need to let our guard down and listen to different ideas and approaches to solve problems. To disagree is not the same as being rude.
  • mefor
    vor 10 Jahren
    Hi MS, not even sure if you were referring to my post above, but if you were, I wasn't talking about critiques, I was indeed referring to rude comments. Critiques are wonderful tools. Rudeness is counter productive. :)
  • armygirl1987
    vor 10 Jahren
    My 1000 sq. ft. home is my safe haven that I come home to daily from all the bs that is out there in this world. I have been on this site for a long time, was just a lurker, then started to participating and finally posted a small dilemma and now I currently have a dilemma that has gotten its share of criticism. I use this site for a purpose and that is for inspiration and whatever help that might come along the way. I take the good with the bad, the criticism with the recommendation and then make the final decision. What is funny to me about all this, is that we all have free will. You should not feel as if you have to participate if you do not want to. Every one is not going to like every thing that is said or like every single comment but at the end of the day ask yourself why are you on here. I have a love and hate relationship but I love to see what human beings can do when they put their mind to it. I am in awe of the help that is offered on here and for some it is for personal gain and for some it is just to help. And for that I am thankful.
  • pcmom1
    vor 10 Jahren
    I find that the greatest creativity comes from folks living in smaller homes and must decorate on a budget!
  • PRO
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    vor 10 Jahren
    There are more affordable projects on Houzz - you just need to look for them. Here's a duplex we did. Each side has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath:
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/156342/In-laws-live-next-door-in-duplex
    Becky did a nice story on the bathroom design:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/light-happy-changes-upgrade-a-small-bathroom-stsetivw-vs~9032846
    :) Rhoda
  • syncope
    vor 10 Jahren
    Well, I just spent the better part of the last hour reading all the posts on this thread. Quite a conversation and many divergent opinions have been expressed but I'm going to focus on the conversation regarding artwork in your home. I have quite a bit of wall art in my home.

One of my most cherished is a piece I found in a great aunt's attic when I was an adolescent close to half a century ago. My mother had the foresight to have it matted and framed and used it in her home until I inherited it. This watercolor pictures a couple dressed in fashion that was in vogue somewhere around the early 1900s and holds a special place in my heart. I also have 3 prints (that my mother also used) that are duplicates of magazine covers depicting Parisian couture of the mid 1800s. Those I use in my guest bedroom which is what my grand-daughter called my "memory room" since that room is filled with family pieces.

I also love Salvador Dali. A friend found an old teaching aid of his "Elephants" at a thrift store and bought it for me. I had it framed and use it in another guest room. One of my inherited pieces was a gorgeous wood frame carved with roses and a large oval opening. Dali has another painting in which a large open rose takes the place of the sun. I ordered a poster size print of that painting and cropped the picture so the rose is centered in the opening and it's perfect for me.

Would a museum be proud to hang any of these on their walls? Of course not. But I am. And that's how classic art can be used in "regular" homes. No home is "regular" because there isn't really a "regular" anywhere. We are all individuals and, whether it was on this thread or another I recently read, someone remarked that if we weren't all different, we'd be living Stepford lives.

The internet has a wealth of information that wasn't available to the general public even 20 years ago. We also have the ability to communicate with others all over the world that has only become possible in the last 10-15 years. How wonderful it is to have the opportunity to share our knowledge with each other in ways that were not even dreamed of until recently. Houzz and other sites with similar concepts have made those dreams a reality and I hope we can all appreciate these ideas and inspirations for what they are and help them and ourselves to bring out the best in all our homes.
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    While there is a great deal of opulence pictured on Houzz, in the advice section you can find some very nice folks, professionals included, willing to give free advice. Keep in mind that much of what is on the Internet is there to make money. It's just like television, there for the commercials, with programs sandwiched in-between. One needs to extract what is useful and leave the rest.
  • PRO
    Sharpertool
    vor 8 Jahren

I want to remove my "design dilemma" post. I did what I consider an expensive remodel of my very modest home and asked for suggestions on what to put on the bare wall. Most of the pro comments were about the pendants lights clashing with the undercounted lights! Hello. . .. I think they are fine and I'm sorry they did"t like the lights, but they did not address the question. In fact, one said

"I can't talk about your bare walls until you fix the lighting" Thanks for hurting my feelers!

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Vi Hed, I had a look, message me on my home page, click on messages.

• PRO
    vor 8 Jahren

Many readers of the HOUZZ "Design Dilemmas" treat it like a "chat room" which is really not the intention and this has come to the awareness of the HOUZZ staff. I think you will find that a great many true "pro's" (those people with a reputation and following) will endeavour to answer design dilemmas with as much integrity and inspiration as if you were a paying client! We want homeowner's of every size and budget to be excited and devoted to "the process" of improvements and bringing design and artistry into their lives. Design is like a lot of other things .....there are always a few who try to use money or knowledge or whatever to make themselves seem superior to others not seeing they really are making themselves so small and unpleasant and unwanted really.

Please try to blow past the "hurt" and thoughtlessness because, there is so much beauty and craft and artistry to bring to décor in the form of the home arts and its around every corner waiting for you and everyone to discover! Its at the grocery store and at a yard sale and at your church auction and a million other places you come across while living your life. Art and design is about seeing your life with fresh eyes and with love. Start practicing every day and it can bring you joy! Be patient....use your eyes and be inspired!

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Are you still here, Siegler? Glad I found you!!

• Geneviève
    vor 8 Jahren
    I love what i see on Houzz . Ideas are great I never despair if i see a large home what crosses mostly my mind is who is going to clean it?
    Using ideas on a much less budget can be accomplished with creativity. As far as art goes, give a chance to the local artists
    or art students to paint them.
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 8 Jahren
    Also if you 'feel' that houzz is out of your range look on other sites. Houzz is for the pros to post. Not for the amateurs to ask. Plain and simple. You don't like don't log on. The web is full of sites. Don't be hating or jealous. Move on. Find a 'small home reno' site. Drama!!!
  • User
    vor 8 Jahren

?

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Just asking.

• dbh
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Wait. What? So "Houzz is for the pros to post . . . not for the amateurs to ask?" Wow-- that's illuminating.

I wish the owners and/or managers of this site would comment on this statement. So . . . in your (Ultimate Hardwood, LTD) opinion, this is a site where "pros" just talk among themselves, blow smoke, compliment each other, steal ideas from each other, give away ideas to their peers/competition, discuss creative problems/solutions among themselves, etc. Wow. Sounds kind of incestuous. I had no idea that was the purpose of this site. Good to know, though. Thanks for the update.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

@Ultimate Hardwood- think about it................ keep thinking...... if it were not for the amateurs asking, what would be the point of a PRO being on here??????

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 8 Jahren
    Hire and ask your local pros. This website DOES have a pro to pro where indeed it is for us to exchange ideas.I find a lot ALOT of people disguise them selves as pros to get on that forum. Keep in mind we as pros have to enter ALL of our pertinent info-where the average Joe does not. Not really a level playing field. What did you all do before houzz???? Caman think about it....
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 8 Jahren
    Houzz was supposed to/did generate leads for pros in its early days. Seems lately people just want to post on here to get free info so they can possibly do it them selves. It takes a true pro years to get really good. You wanna play u gots to pay. There I said it!! What what??
  • User
    vor 8 Jahren

LOL Ultimate Hardwood- good question. What did we do before Houzz..... thinking..... still thinking.....

Of course people come on here to get free advice so they can do it themselves. I use to take my dog to the vet a lot more until Web MD too. Now you can practically do self surgery with all the tutorials and free advice on Google and the other bizillion upstarts and blogs. As long as there are people willing to give their expertise away it will be sought after, right?

• dbh
    vor 8 Jahren

Well, I hate to burst your rather small bubble, Ultimate Hardwood, Ltd-- but I've been boldly venturing forth and restoring and renovating (amateur that I am), on my own-- for over 30 years. OMG. Without Houzz, what in the world did I do? Well, I did then, as I continue to do now, and trusted my own good taste; I trusted excellent recommendations, as well as my valued gut instinct, on good people to hire for renovations. We have moved on and have renovated several homes over the years, including an artist studio for me. I love it all. In fact, I have never posted/initiated a "dilemma" in the years that I have been on this site. Never.

I mostly go on here to see photographs or offer my (free) sage advice to those other "amateurs" who might want to try something that I've already tried. I think I answered a post about using penny rounds on the bathroom floor recently. Since I did put penny rounds on a bathroom floor, I gave my experience on that (and love it, by the way). Someone else asked about an alternative to granite countertops in the kitchen. Since we had installed soapstone (love it, too), I suggested that and told the reasons why I think it's so great.

I could offer you more examples, but I've never directly sought from nor actually used any design advice I have read on Houzz. Again, the most I've done that may have helped me was looking at what a soapstone countertop in a kitchen might look like. Those photos helped, but I could have found those anywhere, including the site where I ultimately bought the soapstone. When we re-did a bathroom, I went to many tile stores and did talk with and listen to the expertise and advice from designers in those showrooms (designers who are hired specifically to talk to potential buyers/clients-- and get paid a good salary to do so. That's their job.)

In my own experience, people who have actually installed something in their own home often can give better (free) advice than those who may be simply pushing a product for their own gain (e.g., income).

My suggestion to you is that if you do not want to give free advice, do not. I personally would not want it from you. And, seriously, do you believe that whatever you can say about hardwoods-- that someone can't get that same advice (or better) from a hardwood dealer in their home town-- again, for free?

• knicetime
    vor 8 Jahren
    Well said dianahb! I have learned a lot from houzz just reading the posts.
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 8 Jahren
    Rather small bubble? Are you kidding me. Your too funny. I'm sure your amateur renos look amazing and are up to code. No need to post pics. I've seen a million hack jobs. Pay now or pay later. Eventually every pays!!!!! Lol
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 8 Jahren
    Also @dianahb your supposed to keep it professional on social media. Seems your taking it personal. Besides you could never afford me!!! Well said,not.
  • User
    vor 8 Jahren

I really like it when the Pros and Houzzers get along on Houzz. Especially coming into the festive season. Lets all just give thanks for Houzz and the wonderful service it provides to so many people.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    vor 8 Jahren
    Obtuse posters are the best!! Lol this site is GREAT for that...
  • dbh
    vor 8 Jahren

Wow-- Ultimate Hardwood, LTD-- you sure have an inflated sense of yourself. You just sell hardwoods, right? I mean, you're a hardwood dealer . . . not that there's anything wrong with that. It is, however, not rocket science. Get a grip.

We do have hardwoods (some 90 years old) throughout our home. I have no earthly idea how that was achieved without you or Houzz's expertise.

And, though this is slightly off topic, here's some good free advice for you. "Your too funny" should actually be "You're too funny," as in "You are too funny." The word, "Your" is certainly a good word, but it is possessive, as in, "Your hardwoods, bad grammar, and over-inflated sense of yourself make me want to upchuck all over this wall-to-wall carpeting." In the way you have used "Your," it is incorrect. The correct usage would be "You're" (again, as in "You are"). Now that's some excellent free grammar advice for you.

Of course, now my opinion of you has plummeted even lower (if that was possible). To fully trust someone who doesn't know proper grammatical structure is somehow all wrong. Can I really trust that person's advice on hardwoods? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to take that chance. :)

• dbh
    vor 8 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 8 Jahren

Ultimate Hardwoods, Ltd, would you please learn how to use contractions?

I don't take any of this personally. Why would I? My guess is, you are not all that busy as a "pro," if you have time for this; are you seriously a "professional?"

I haven't been on Houzz in a while. Now I remember why I stopped reading this site. Thanks for the reminder. :)

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Peace everyone, lets all get along.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

I really do not think grammar has anything to do with someone's expertise on their craft. That is just trying to get petty.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Chook enough with the Peace baby lol. go back to the bus ')

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

You want the bus baby? Lets ride ;)

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Cluck on it

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

It's OK, this thread is over 2 years old anyway.

• User
    vor 8 Jahren

Siegler likes vintage.

• bonniebaer
    vor 8 Jahren

I do agree with those of you who have stated a point is being missed from the original comment. Granted, I also love looking at pictures on here but I come here simply to get ideas for my "regular home" which I rarely end up finding. It is very frustrating when I just want to see what my entryway would look like if I repainted the door a different color and when I try to search for ideas the only pictures I find are of million dollar homes. Someone should create a site specifically for real people with regular houses.

• Maria Smith
    vor 8 Jahren
    I feel your pain! I have a millionaire's taste but not the bankroll. I have however learned to adapt. I try to buy the best quality items I can afford where it counts such as cabinets, flooring, etc... I try to make decorating decisions that are not super trendy in these. I shop flea markets for furniture, lamps, building items, architectural pieces. Hope this helps you.
  • Mark
    vor 6 Jahren
    Houzz is unrealistic for a majority of home owners. Like me, most people don't have a 1000 sq. ft. kitchen or bath footprint!
Gesponsert

Laden Sie die Seite neu, um diese Anzeige nicht mehr zu sehen

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.