Houzz Logo Print
jessa

Formal Dining Room Becomes Casual Lounge

jessa
vor 10 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 10 Jahren
After 8 years of living in our home we realized the formal dining room was wasted space. We never used it. So we turned it into a LOUNGE which is now a favorite spot to read, relax, and sip a cocktail (or Shirley Temple). Even our dog gravitates to this room!

Kommentare (24)

• dclostboy
    vor 10 Jahren
    Puppy has good taste and white paws :)
  • Leslie Kreger
    vor 10 Jahren
    Very nicely done! Congrats~
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Stacie Johnson, Realtor
    vor 10 Jahren
    i want to see more examples of this concept!
  • PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    vor 10 Jahren
    Good idea! You can also, do this same concept with a dining ht. table or game table ht table as long as there is the right seat to table top relationship. I am doing for this for a client right now that has a BIG multi-setting room and no dining room but, a dining portion of that room. We decided a more casual treatment of it as a sitting area but, with a dining ht. table would work for her in her life. I had sofa made that was relaxing as a sofa but, higher seat ht. so, works at dining table.

I might have some other examples of dining area ....more varied in the seating or more casual. May not be FULL LOUNGE as you have but, going toward that idea.

Your area very nice. I would love visiting with family and friends there. So, great to see each others faces and be close!
  • touchadream
    vor 10 Jahren
    Love the idea to "recover" unused space.
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    vor 10 Jahren
    hey Great idea and very useful - thinking outside the box
  • PRO
    Mise en Place Design
    vor 10 Jahren
    This is a great idea. More and more of my clients, myself included, are not seeing the value in a "formal" dining room but rather are opting to have a table in a great room or as part of their kitchen. Creating a secondary use for the otherwise unused dining room gives that room a new purpose and can create really fantastic energy the home.
    In this room, I love accent wall using the wine bottles as art.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Would love to see old fashion rooms like music rooms, drawing rooms and libraries like Victorians had make a comeback. NOT Victorian look just the idea of a home that has space that is lived in fully and richly. Love idea of RECLAIMING space for reading niches, work alcoves etc...
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Contemporary Basement · Mehr Info
    This space is one I saw some time ago here on houzz that I thought was cool.
    jessa hat Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS gedankt
  • sbrustein
    vor 10 Jahren
    So what do you do when you entertain, for dining? I have people over for dinner frequently, especially in the summer for BBQ's and while its informal, I don't like to eat outdoors( too buggy). I would never give up my dining room.
  • PRO
    Rugsville
    vor 10 Jahren
    Its look great now!
  • jessa
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    we have a sunroom off the kitchen that we used as a playroom for many years but THAT is where the dining table is now. we entertain but still everyone is in the kitchen or lounge. our kitchen also has a high bar with 4 barstools so more options there
  • Bj Ries
    vor 10 Jahren
    Love this, great job~ I also love four chairs to a low table in areas like this- great place to entertain a few friends
  • sandyhamilton123
    vor 10 Jahren
    We have a room that was intended to be an office but in this day of laptops, never gets used like that! We are thinking of taking some of the space and creating a mudroom and then using the remaining space for a cozy den/tv room. What are the dimensions of the space above?
  • kara andersen
    vor 10 Jahren
    I'm looking for wine racks just like that!! Where did you get them?
  • jessa
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    thanks kara, i will ask our designer and get back to you. they were CHEAP tho. she proposed another option for the wine display which we TOTALLY loved but was too pricey. our designer is AWESOME. we had a lot of the pieces (rug, couch, swivels, orange wall color) but she put it all together. i can pick great things but NOT GOOD at the big picture. she came up with the wine wall, cabinets (CB2), custom ottoman, lighting, etc.) this photo shows the other wall when installed (not full yet as you can see)
  • jessa
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    sandy, the rug is a crate & barrel 8x10 memphis steel rug - so room is a bit larger than that.
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    Hooray for designers making a client happy with existing items + few affordable ideas! People don't think of us in that way enough! Too, many people feel like "hey I should know how to make a home" when in fact we all could use help. I depend heavily on carpenter, painter, handi-man, metal smith, lighting designer and on and on and on. It takes a village! I do not take think any less of my creativity or design abilities because, I depend on great sources and other experts! INTERIORS can be complex so thank you jessa for being clear, honest and authentic about this marvelous space you now have and how it came into existence!!!
  • PRO
    Robert
    vor 10 Jahren
    Simply loved the idea of refashioning your old dining room into a lounge.Not only the room looks very refreshing regarding its decor but the very concept of having a lounge space at home seems to be great,as this concept seems to be fading in the present times.It would be a good idea to revive such places like the music rooms,libraries and lounges where everyone,at home ,can come together to do their own thing.
  • jessa
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    And…. our amazing designer is J Allen of "Perceptions Interiors by J. Allen" - we worked with another designer before her and it DID NOT WORK at all. J not only gets our style but she can walk into a room and just know what it needs, what is working, what is not, plus she's practical about making a room work for REAL LIFE. One day my husband and I found this GREAT deal on a pricey sideboard (we love scratch and dent floor model deals) but when we sent it to J and asked her opinion she agreed it was a great deal and gorgeous BUT it was going to be hidden at the back of my husband's office so WHY would we spend our money there? she steered us to a great IKEA piece that works perfectly and was IKEA priced. now THAT is a good designer! haha!
  • PRO
    vor 10 Jahren
    Yes! I'm smiling now. Finally someone not afraid to share what is REAL LIFE for most of us.

I like to think that your experience is how the majority of designers are and would proceed. We are hard working, creative people trying to help people use design to improve their quality of life. We are not rich and famous with an H&G show on tv or rushing off to work with the latest movie star or high tech rich person. We are everyday people who just happen to be creative souls who train and educate ourselves per guidelines of American Society of Interior Designers education recommendations, we have a profound love of beauty and artistry and we live for the challenge of how we can use our knowledge, training and artistry in 3 dimensions for INTERIORS for our neighbors, family, friends and community. SO THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING YOUR POSITIVE EXPERIENCE.
    jessa hat Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS gedankt
  • jessa
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    you said it seiglerdesign!!!! :-)
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.