Houzz Logo Print
chris_longden

Condo Complex Hallway Renovation - What would you choose?

ECustomFinishes
vor 10 Jahren
Hi Houzzers,
Need help with a design dilemma. I am on the board of a 45 unit condo complex in Boston Ma, and we have retained an interior designer (name removed from pics) for a new interior makeover. We are starting with Hallway concepts, and moving forward from there. 2 options, edgy and more modern, or safe choice and has been done before. Design dilemma question: what hallway design would you choose and why?

Kommentare (38)

• Darzy
    vor 10 Jahren
    I would chose style #2. It is more soothing on the eyes and is more transitional - which will stay looking updated longer. Also, if you think of the hall as an extension of the each tenant's home, I think #2 will complement each home's interior more than the first.
    ECustomFinishes hat Darzy gedankt
  • gella81
    vor 10 Jahren
    I find the second one more appropriate for a shared space due to its neutrality
    ECustomFinishes hat gella81 gedankt
  • PRO
    ECustomFinishes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thank you for your feedback, 3 additional considerations. Think of a 10 year period, the light blue rug will dirty quicker which will take away from the hallway. Also as #2 is a "safe" choice its style will be outdated in a few years quicker than #1 and will be old news. This renovation will cost a lot of money, as a condo we would like visitors to say "wow nice/cool hallway" which I think we can get from #1, but not #2. Thoughts?
  • Jennifer Bush
    vor 10 Jahren
    Who do you think the target residents are? If it is a younger/hipper area, you could definitely go with the first choice. I'd live there :) Boston could be more conservative.
    ECustomFinishes hat Jennifer Bush gedankt
  • Luciana
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    First one, but with different wall lights, something less up-down and more rounded(!) that gives more light (dark hallways remind me of dungeons and things hiding in shadows).
    Second is just boring... as someone said, looks like a medium budget hotel - totally unremarkable.
    ECustomFinishes hat Luciana gedankt
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    vor 10 Jahren
    You can't go wrong with either. The red ceiling is striking though.
  • PRO
    ECustomFinishes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thank you for the additional feedback. Jen - the current age group ranges from 30-90, however the target (or at least my) would be younger, but truly anyone that could afford to live here. Our 45 unit condo is a luxury condo, (pool, roof, private cabanas, very top of a hill overlooking boston) we need the interior to be worthy of the building itself. Although both are nice choices, we have the flexibility to go a bit more modern.
  • Darzy
    vor 10 Jahren
    To me, the style of the ceiling lighting on #1 looks dated. That could be why I prefer #2.
  • novicenoodler
    vor 10 Jahren
    The first design is exciting, but rather cold and corporate looking to my eye. It doesn't welcome me home.
  • foreverfarm11
    vor 10 Jahren
    my first instict was the 1st picture....but after 5 seconds I thought the 2nd one....because the first one looks darker. I would think people would rather have a lighted area.
  • PRO
    ECustomFinishes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Okay, I hear "too dark" as an experiment, I lightened up the dark hallway. All pictures below to compare. Thoughts?
  • foreverfarm11
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think the first one is more fun - but would enjoy either
    ECustomFinishes hat foreverfarm11 gedankt
  • Amy Cali
    vor 10 Jahren
    #1 but with a blue ceiling
    ECustomFinishes hat Amy Cali gedankt
  • Luciana
    vor 10 Jahren
    No, Amy, no, I like the red! First again - so much better with more light...
  • raineycarole
    vor 10 Jahren
    Which one is preferable to the people who live there ?
  • PRO
    ECustomFinishes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    @raineycarole we are allowed 1 additional board/revision then presenting to the complex condo owners assoc for a vote. We will then know which one is preferred. I am interested to see which board others favor and why.
  • mmilos
    vor 10 Jahren
    First one looks a little too Vegas hotel, IMO.
    Second one seems more like home to me.
    ECustomFinishes hat mmilos gedankt
  • PRO
    Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
    vor 10 Jahren
    Both designs show new light fixtures and both are very nice. You may wish to review the light source in the new fixtures to verify that a fluorescent or LED type is being utilized. These light sources will reduce your 24/7 operating costs. A fixture with an incandescent source will cost the most for energy and the source will need to be replaced frequently.
    ECustomFinishes hat Clear Lighting and Electrical Design gedankt
  • Amy Cali
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think its the red ceiling creating the vegas vibe. Sorry Luciana we can agree to disagree :)
  • caseymck90
    vor 10 Jahren
    #2 but change the carpet..
  • groveraxle
    vor 10 Jahren
    If these were my only two choices, I'd have to pick #1. #2 is already dated. #1 is marginally more interesting. Must be that Vegas vibe.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    vor 10 Jahren
    Both look like discount hotel halls. Try a little harder here! I think you can add to the ambience with lighting, color, and carpet that is bullet-proof.
  • Amy Cali
    vor 10 Jahren
    ahh sustainable dwellings what you lack in subtleness, you make up for in truth LOL
  • tennisanyone
    vor 10 Jahren
    Think of Boston as NYC. My first choice would be # 1.
    ECustomFinishes hat tennisanyone gedankt
  • yoboseiyo
    vor 10 Jahren
    i like #2, but i would like the carpet from #1 in there instead of the weird blue.
  • Laura Ricci
    vor 10 Jahren
    #2 looks 10 years old at brand new. It will not improve resale values. #1 gives a youthful feeling, more likely to evoke a "Wow." What is typical for buildings in your market to which you aspire to compete? Take a look at the buildings 10 - 20 percent more expensive than yours. What are they doing with their hallways? If they are like the Midwest, they are making the hallways edgy and modern (#1) and ripping out the conservative quiet hallway finishes.
    ECustomFinishes hat Laura Ricci gedankt
  • PRO
    ECustomFinishes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Great point, we also need to maximize investment for our residents, although both are nice, #1 says upscale hotel and #2 says safe choice and not found in appts 10%-20% more expensive. thank you for that insight.
  • PRO
    mark rojberg
    vor 10 Jahren
    the item appears to be the actual hallway of any Holiday Inn. Quite easy, secure along with nondescript. There's nothing drastically wrong achievable in any way. It will eventually stay shopping updated longer.
  • PRO
    Design Construction Concepts
    vor 10 Jahren
    Working for a Design/Build company that specializes in interior spaces (to include multifamily), and the fact that I also live in a high rise building in the Gold Coast area of Chicago, if I HAD to choose between the two, I would choose #2 because: #1 the entire space looks very dark and gloomy, and although I like the color red, most people would NOT utilize it in that space because it will tend to make the space appear darker, and smaller, especially if it is on the ceiling. Plus, it looks tacky. #2 has nice lighting, and the color scheme, although it is better, I would suggest changing the carpet selection to one that is darker with a pattern that compliments the fixtures because this is a high traffic area and will show dirt more easily. That's my advice if I have to choose between the two.
  • orangecamera
    vor 10 Jahren
    I would want a hallway like that to be light and bright. Give it a "feel" with pictures hung on the walls. You could do different floors with different styles and/or colors of artwork.
    ECustomFinishes hat orangecamera gedankt
  • PRO
    ECustomFinishes
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    This is a great hallway scheme, thank you for the picture. Unfortunately our budget will not allow for marble hallways, carpet only, so we will need to think of other ways for the area to feel brighter. Love the suggestion/image, thank you
  • PRO
    ITALdoors, LLC.
    vor 9 Jahren
    The colour really pops in the monochromatic surrounding! Looks really great!
  • PRO
    Reflective Color & Design
    vor 6 Jahren

As a designer myself I would mix the two ideas...neutral color scheme but with playful lighting. Love the lighting in 2 - much more trend forward and playful. #2 colors will go out with the next trend so stay safe with carpet and I would also pop walls with color in art.

• PRO
    Lisette Young Interiors
    vor 6 Jahren

I like #1: more modern- maybe change the color scheme to grays, whites, navy and ochre for a pop of color? (AKA mustard yellow) Black and red are very vegas-y like groveraxl mentioned :)

• User
    vor 6 Jahren

Hopefully, it's done by now...

• Tsippi S.
    vor 5 Jahren

I realize this is an old post, but I think there are a lot of condo and coop boards out there that would be interested in seeing how the remodel turned out, if the OP ever has a moment to post pics.

• T P
    vor 4 Jahren

Any updates on this post? Our building is in the beginning stages of doing a redesign.

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.