Houzz Logo Print
hikermamajb

Need advice about stair railing - to paint or not to paint?

hikermamajb
vor 10 Jahren
We are about to move into a great house but are painting before we move. I'm having a hard time with the stair railing. It looks dated to me (even has the mushroom screw hole covers) and I am thinking that some paint might help. Maybe just the balusters?

Kommentare (23)

• hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    The wall adjacent to the stairs will be a greyish blue-green...
  • qoais
    vor 10 Jahren
    Black railings and stair treads, the rest white.
  • PRO
    Pinkus Interiors
    vor 10 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 10 Jahren
    A suggestion would be to switch out the spindles for iron ones, not too ornate, just simple and a runner on the stairs. Are you traditional or transitional? A floral print would be more traditional and a sisal with solid border would be casual or transitional. The runner will detract from the banister and artwork & new wall colour will also help.
  • hayleydaniels
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like the railing and stairs, but they could stand to be refinished. If you like the look of wood, I'd do that. If not, then paint them.
  • studio10001
    vor 10 Jahren
    Painting is going to draw attention to what this isn't. I like what Pinkus has suggested, and think the change in materials will add some welcome textural interest and retain the handcrafted reference.
  • Susie
    vor 10 Jahren
    We did the same in our mid century house and changed the spindles for black iron ones. Really updated the space.
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Poking around the railing, I found that the spindles were easily removed with a screwdriver. Has anyone had experience with the adjustable DIY iron ballusters called "Ole Iron Slides"? They're very affordable but I'm worried thay could look cheap.
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    I did some poking around and found that the ballusters were easily removed with a screwdriver. Has anyone had experience with the adjustable DIY "Ole Iron Slides" ballusters? They seem affordable and easy to install but I'm worried they'll look cheap...
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Here's the work in progress...
  • qoais
    vor 10 Jahren
    You're still going to paint the railing though, right? I looked the ole ironslides up and they don't look bad at all. There's a couple of styles to choose from. http://www.littlebuffalostairparts.com/category_104_Ole_Ironslides.html
  • grobby
    vor 10 Jahren
    I think if you could dress up the post, you will get a more updated look. The post lacks a finished look. Maybe you can cap it or add to it.
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    No, not going to paint the railing.[houzz=
    Otter Tail Hunting Lodge · Mehr Info
    ]
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Thinking smooth, satin black balusters. Fresh stain....
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Final coats of paint still need to be applied but here is what the change is looking like. Used round wooden spindles instead of iron because I wanted a clean look with nothing ornate.
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    ...and the wall above the stairs leading to the lower level is the same grayish blue-green as the other walls. The sun bleached it out in the photo. :)
  • qoais
    vor 10 Jahren
    So how do you fell about it? Do you like it?
  • correpat
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like your idea to paint just the balusters. I did that in a colonial and the stairs were so much brighter! Also, if painting the balusters isn't enough (the stairwell looks dark), try painting the risers, too. Good luck!
  • hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    We went with black for everything because I noticed there was a mix of quality workmanship and some shoddy cover-up jobs once I started removing a lot of the extra wood. It's difficult to see in the first photo, but the railing was really chunky with 2 long pieces of wood running along the bottom of the top rail and two along the top of the kneewall. These were used for attaching the original rectangular spindles. It felt cluttered. To refinish and stain would still have taken a huge amount of time and labor and still would have left areas looking patched and filled. I like the way it's turning out - more simple and streamlined. There were spindles on the lower stair as well which were just adding to the cluttered feeling of the railing and not necessary as there is a wall there.
  • qoais
    vor 10 Jahren
    Verry nice!
  • Cady Stone
    vor 3 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 3 Jahren

Do you mind sharing what color you painted it? Thank you! hikermamajb

• hikermamajb
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 3 Jahren

cadystone, I just used a semi-gloss enamel paint in black. Thanks for the question!

• Cady Stone
    vor 3 Jahren

Thank you!!

Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.