Houzz Logo Print
kilkennykat

Help prevent imminent divorce!!!! Impartial design comments needed!

kilkennykat
vor 10 Jahren
zuletzt bearbeitet:vor 10 Jahren
I am designing a bedsit/studio flat but my partner and I have reached an impasse situation. We have 7'8" of space in a recess to create wardrobe space and a desk. One of us says 4' desk and 3'8" wardrobe, the other says 3' desk and 4'8" wardrobe. Please help us stop bickering!!!

Kommentare (17)

• 67domer
    vor 10 Jahren
    As a woman, with clothes, I vote for the smaller desk.
    kilkennykat hat 67domer gedankt
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    vor 10 Jahren
    With everyone now using lap tops, tablets and even smart phones to do their computing, I don't think desks need to be as large as they used to be. I'm a man but I vote for the 3' desk and the 4'8" wardrobe.
    kilkennykat hat Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader gedankt
  • Eliza Jane Darling
    vor 10 Jahren
    Who will be using the space? Is it for the two of you, or a rental, or a sale?
    kilkennykat hat Eliza Jane Darling gedankt
  • kilkennykat
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    It is for rental. I had the whole recess earmarked for storage and my joiner put in a stud wall with two doors on for access. I believe that you can never have too much storage. Small spaces can look very cluttered. My partner on the other hand feels that a desk is essential. (We have WiFi so even a router isn't essential).
  • krf9
    vor 10 Jahren
    I'd say no desk, big closet! I guess it depends on what you're using it for. A kids room, a desk is a nice homework spot. An office? Sure, throw a desk in. But otherwise, I dont know anyone that uses a desk on a day to day basis (ie not a child, or work from home person). Everyone else uses laptops, either at the sofa, dining table etc.
    kilkennykat hat krf9 gedankt
  • Eliza Jane Darling
    vor 10 Jahren
    I'd go for the desk myself, but I'm not really a clothes person. Is there anyplace to install a drop-down desk that could be used when needed and put away when not?
    kilkennykat hat Eliza Jane Darling gedankt
  • PRO
    VIVIR Design!
    vor 10 Jahren
    How about hiding a pullout table option in a wardrobe like this...
    kilkennykat hat VIVIR Design! gedankt
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    vor 10 Jahren
    So this is for a rental? Not worth a divorce surely? I like premiers idea of a desk incorporated in a cupboard. So if a renter doesn't want to use it as a desk, they can use it as extra storage.
    kilkennykat hat ASVInteriors gedankt
  • auntiebuzzybee
    vor 10 Jahren
    I like the wardrobe idea above but if I had to choose between the two, DEFINITELY the closet. If it's a rental especially. Not everyone will want or need a desk but ppl always need storage and are impressed with closet space. They are going to think about closets, they won't exactly think about a desk unless they are coming from a dorm room ; )
    kilkennykat hat auntiebuzzybee gedankt
  • auntiebuzzybee
    vor 10 Jahren
    Bump
    kilkennykat hat auntiebuzzybee gedankt
  • lsobrero
    vor 10 Jahren
    Going through this same thing myself so I understand! He wants desk and I don't. Who needs a desk? So if you must agree to desk, the smaller the better! I am thinking console table or the like so at least it doesn't look like office. Good Luck!
    kilkennykat hat lsobrero gedankt
  • laurakdesigns
    vor 10 Jahren
    Closet only all the way!

Remind him he would have been further ahead if he had given in to you originally since so many people are saying closet only. Happy wife, happy life....
    kilkennykat hat laurakdesigns gedankt
  • Angel 18432
    vor 10 Jahren
    I vote for closet/storage anytime over a desk. Some kind of desk can always be purchased/made if needed.
    kilkennykat hat Angel 18432 gedankt
  • feeny
    vor 10 Jahren
    We never work at our desks. Laptops all over the house. So definitely I vote for storage--all of it.
    kilkennykat hat feeny gedankt
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    vor 10 Jahren
    And do t disregard the impact of iPads and tablets
    kilkennykat hat ASVInteriors gedankt
  • kilkennykat
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 10 Jahren
    Many thanks to all you Houzzers! With your input, a straw poll at work and influence from me the Great Silverback has accepted the storage over desk space idea. As many of you have said laptops etc rule and we can always provide a fold out table for anyone who wants one. Next part of the project is the "Secret Sink" in the kitchen space. I may even get bold and put up some pictures!!
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.