Houzz Logo Print
racheld13

entryway

racheld13
vor 9 Jahren
I have a dual staircase without enough room to put an entry table in the middle. I was thinking of getting painted pedestal/columns and adding a decorative vase on top of each. Am looking for suggestions.

Kommentare (76)

• Kristin Peters
    vor 9 Jahren
    Zuletzt geändert: vor 9 Jahren
    I would get 2 identical curved tables one for each wall. or a curved table on one side and a curved love seat on the other.
    racheld13 hat Kristin Peters gedankt
  • lynnramsay
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would add 2 identical light wall sconces that tie in the color existing.
    racheld13 hat lynnramsay gedankt
  • Ähnliche Diskussionen

Schlüsselfrage: Wo hängst Du Deine auf?

Q

Kommentare (27)
    Ich lege meinen einfach zum Handy und Headset auf meinen Schreibtisch (der immer leer ist) Dann habe ich Tür- & Autoschlüssel immer griffbereit. Also vom Dachgeschoss (Schlafzimmer) ins Büro (1. OG) in die Küche (EG) zur Kaffeemaschine. Bevor ich das Haus verlasse, check ich meine Mails und dann ist das sozusagen immer im "flow" zum ersten Kaffee....
    ...mehr

Schuhe ausziehen oder anlassen?

Q

Kommentare (39)
    Scheint so, als würde ich als Einzige die Schuhe-an-Partei vertreten. Bei uns macht es jeder, wie er mag. Für Gäste haben wir allerdings keine Pantoffeln parat, es wird auch von keinem erwartet. Ob es hier im Rheinland weniger rein ist? ich denke, man nimmt's nicht so genau. Als meine Kinder noch klein waren und sich draußen gerne im Garten und Sandkasten gesuhlt haben, hat es sie auch nicht gestört, wenn ein paar Sandkörner auf dem Kinderzimmerboden befanden ;) "Dreck reinigt den Magen" ist ein Spruch, den ein Kind hier öfter hört. Ich habe auch keine Tagesdecken auf meine (teure) Ledercouch. Was soll's? Im Übrigen ist die Schuhe -aus-Tradition nicht nur in Skandinavien üblich sondern in vielen anderen Kulturen und Regionen, die ich bereist habe bzw. von Bekannten kenne: Türkei, Japan, Island und viele andere. Sauber genug war es überall.
    ...mehr

Accent wall

Q

Kommentare (2)
    Also ich würde entweder den großen Rahmen, aber nicht mittig, sondern asymmetrisch hängen und dann noch Kerzenleuchter oder aber eine Gruppe aus mehreren kleinen Bildern, die aber einen ähnlichen Rahmen haben sollten. Wenn es keine Bilder sein müssen, würde ich eher einen Eyecatcher wählen in Form von einer schönen Vase mit einem Zweig, der Jahreszeit entsprechend und evtl. weiterer dezenter Deko wie Kerze oder/und Schale für Schlüssel...
    ...mehr

ungeheizter Haupteingang

Q

Kommentare (11)
    Geht es Ihnen denn darum, den Vorraum als Wohnraum nicht zu verlieren, oder irritiert Sie einfach nur die Idee, ein Gebäude zu betreten, ohne direkt in das Haus zu kommen? Eine Scheune zu betreten bedeutet immer, ein fast magisches, diffuses Lichtspiel, die wundervolle Stille und Weite und das Geheime zu spüren. Die alte Scheune auch zu Wohnzwecken mit diesen Gefühlen zu betreten finde ich äußerst charmant. Insbesondere, da hier der Gedanke eines Gebäudes im Gebäude vorausgeht. Der entstehende Vorplatz ist zudem trocken und bietet Raum für die Fahrradreparatur, die Gummistiefel und das Brennholz vor der Tür und für Hüpfspiele - auch bei Regenwetter. Innen reihen sich die Räume entlang des Flures auf, und öffnen sich dann zu den Haupt-Wohnräumen. Bei Ihren handschriftlichen Änderungen gebe ich zu bedenken, daß Sie die zuvor geschickt und unentdeckt positionierte Garderobe einfach auflösen. Außerdem wird dadurch der Flur in siner Wirkung länger gezogen, da die große breite Querwand zum Schlafraum nicht mehr als solche wahrnehmbar ist.
    ...mehr
  • rickyboy
    vor 9 Jahren
    Nothing at all. It looks great
  • jerryalan
    vor 9 Jahren
    Don't remove any railing or people will be tripping over the steps. Paint the walls on first floor between the steps and place a round rug there. Put matching sconces where the mismatched pictures are. I love your entry!
    racheld13 hat jerryalan gedankt
  • PRO
    Gregg's Woodworking
    vor 9 Jahren
    Gregg's Woodworking
    Have a good furniture maker come and take a template of both the curves on either side of the staircase, then have him (or her) design and build tables or benches or something out of the hardwood of your choice that will perfectly follow the curves. If you are near Louisville give me a holler I'd be glad to help you.
    gregg M
    racheld13 hat Gregg's Woodworking gedankt
  • Georgia Cinq-Mars Tashjian
    vor 9 Jahren
    Paint the inside a different color, it is beautiful the way it is, maybe a beautiful runner down the middle would be nice.
    racheld13 hat Georgia Cinq-Mars Tashjian gedankt
  • kanike
    vor 9 Jahren
    I like the idea of painted walls....or how bout a photo gallery with simple/coordinating frames?
    racheld13 hat kanike gedankt
  • User
    vor 9 Jahren
    I might suggest something with a modern twist...paint the interior walls of the staircase and hallway into the other space with black and white vertical stripes, to tie it to the colors on the beautiful staircases. Since this is a pass through, the stripes would give you a focal point into the next room and balance out the staircases. Choose a beautiful chandelier and round rug to complete the look. Thank you, for the opportunity, to share my ideas with you! Good luck and Best Wishes! Ramon Martinez Jr - Domus Moderno
    racheld13 hat User gedankt
  • Kendrah
    vor 9 Jahren
    That is actually a rather small space with a lot to look at already: the architecture. My eyes would be overwhelmed with columns, plants, chairs, or tables.

My suggestion is to:

1. Get rid of the two small pictures hanging on either wall and get rid of the rectangular rug. Potentially get a very simple round rug for the round part in between the stairs, or have no rugs in this space at all.

2. Get a a really eye catching chandelier to hang in that small hallway that connects the double staircase to the room with the white sofa. As others have noted, the two staircases come together and lead my eyes straight back. It would be nice for them to have something to land on before they get to that back room. I would get a beautiful formal yet small chandelier to hang.

3. Get a lamp to replace the blue one on the table behind the white sofas. The one that is there is a focal point between the stairs and in comparison to the striking stairs it is a bit underwhelming. I would get one that looks good with the new, small chandelier.
    racheld13 hat Kendrah gedankt
  • PRO
    Mise en Place Design
    vor 9 Jahren
    I don't think I would add furniture necessarily, maybe a small rounded console. You could consider doing something with the vertical space. Add an interesting chandelier hung about 9 or so feet up. I couldn't see if you had one or not. The space seems tight already so be carful about the additions. Interesting art could go a long way as well. Have you thought about wainscoting just in that central stair area?
    racheld13 hat Mise en Place Design gedankt
  • Lana
    vor 9 Jahren
    Use the walls as an art gallery -- a collage. It could be of collectibles or family photos. Use something engaging that is also personal to yourself.
    racheld13 hat Lana gedankt
  • Karen Copeland
    vor 9 Jahren
    I'd keep it simple and put two small half moon table with the flat side facing each other with a small round rug in pale colors in the middle. Then I'd put two large vases of white flowers on the tables for drama (and make them fragrant, like roses and tuberoses and lillies), so you'll have that amazing smell as you come down the stairs.
    racheld13 hat Karen Copeland gedankt
  • karlt10
    vor 9 Jahren
    Get rid of one staircase. The space is nowhere near large enough for two. It not only is cramped, but it looks ridiculous, like you're tying to make it into something it isn't.
  • Samuel Bermudez
    vor 9 Jahren
    Drop a fabulous chandlier !
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    vor 9 Jahren
    What a beautiful staircase! So many great ideas. I agree on the chandelier comments.
    La Fontaine Crystal Chandelier · Mehr Info

Also agree with keeping the alcove area decluttered. Sometime less is more so a pair of pedestals as you suggested in the original post or simple accent table on one side and a curved bench on the other with photos above.
    racheld13 hat Whispar Design gedankt
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    It certainly is beautiful but I do think it needs "something". Instead of pedestals or plants (too predictable) or artwork (hard to hang) or furniture (don't think there's enough room), what about ... tiling (or perhaps wallpapering) the inner curved walls with something that sets it apart from the rest of the walls? This will create a more interesting space, interesting shape too, with the contrasting staircases. Here is a photo of a project in which we tiled a curved wall with small mosaic mother of pearl, glass and marble tiles - and we are going to tile the facing curved staircase wall as well in the future. And of course a statement chandelier is a must! Hope this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
    racheld13 hat Rebecca Mitchell Interiors gedankt
  • decoenthusiaste
    vor 9 Jahren
    A stunning chandelier hanging above a pedestal with a bust or over-the-top floral on it might work. Here are a couple of arrangements to inspire.
    Hinsdale Porch · Mehr Info

Kitt Haman Design · Mehr Info
    racheld13 hat decoenthusiaste gedankt
  • Karen Hinson
    vor 9 Jahren
    tall vases with flowers on both sides behind railing
    racheld13 hat Karen Hinson gedankt
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    Here is the staircase I posted above with a close up of the tile. We installed this vertically on the curved wall and then used it again horizontally in the kitchen above the stove. Of course this is just to give you something to consider as a concept - if it interests you, you would want to find something that suits your style/home!
  • PRO
    circa studio 8 kitchen bath & interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    Wow, very elegant staircase! Lucky you! I think less is more! Have you considered changing the paint or as mentioned above adding some wallpaper? Maybe add some elegant lighting, and remove the art, as it is a bit abrupt
    racheld13 hat circa studio 8 kitchen bath & interiors gedankt
  • Susan
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thos. Baker had some nice photos of curved tables and benches. Maybe on one side do the table, and across from the table a bench. I would do a longer and wider runner. I personally would just get the runner, and call it a day, as your staircase is spectacular.
  • Lisa Rubin
    vor 9 Jahren
    Agree with comment about a plant. Otherwise, it does not need anything. More "stuff" is just going to take away from the structural beauty. Less is more :)
  • txrlj
    vor 9 Jahren
    take out one stairway
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    vor 9 Jahren
    Susan McFarlane -- looks like Mt. Rainier in your photo! A big "ahhhhh" for me!

Lots of great ideas going on here! I posted a couple above, but I have to say that after reading everyone's input so far, I love the idea of two small half moon tables for fragrant flowers, a round rug and a gorgeous chandelier. Remove the two mismatched pics at the entry and let the chandelier and stairs make the statement. Simple and elegant.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    racheld13 hat Thos. Baker gedankt
  • racheld13
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    HI. Thanks for commenting on my question. The paint is Benjamin Moore beacan grey.
  • Elizabeth Ponce
    vor 9 Jahren
    Love this idea
  • Elizabeth Ponce
    vor 9 Jahren
    Why did my drawings not show???
  • Aya Sourani
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would change the banisters, they make it feel closed off and heavy. I would also add a light rug at the bottom to break up the darkness of the floor. I also think that it needs more light, maybe mirrors or alternative lighting. I think that once it feels less squashed, adding a semi circle table at the bottom of the stairs by a wall will work more easily.
  • racheld13
    Ursprünglicher Verfasser
    vor 9 Jahren
    there weren't any drawing.
  • PRO
    MWdesigns and Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would remove one of the staircases to widen the entry.
  • Samantha Finch
    vor 9 Jahren
    I would do a mural on the sides of the staircase( theme would match their exterior of the home) and add half circle small tables and some decor matching the mural! :)
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    vor 9 Jahren
    Beautiful, as is. The staircases are your focal point. I would remove the rug and the two pictures and let the architecture do its thing.

At some point, if you are looking for a change, I would find a fabulous, unique stair runner.

Entry Foyer · Mehr Info
  • regina5697
    vor 9 Jahren
    Ok, I was thinking something a bit unexpected. There is symmetry and traditional spindles on the staircase... How about keeping it simple and placing nothing but a light hide rug fingering into your alcoves, the bottom of the stairs and leading you back to your living area?
    This photo was the closest I could find to help visualize, but you'll have to envision your beautiful round staircases vs this square one... http://houzz.com/photos/4131232

I think some sconces on the walls leading back would not be over decorating, but you could certainly go without anything other than a rug in that space.
  • PRO
    Chrome Lilly Interiors
    vor 9 Jahren
    We would suggest hanging a beautiful medium sized chandelier or pendant fixture in the hallway between your entryway and living area to finish off your space.
  • Valerie Gierman
    vor 9 Jahren
    We have double staircases that are very similar but with slightly more space. We don't have any seating in the entry area for taking off your boots, etc. Sometimes people sit on the stairs! I am going to have some simple curving (painted) built-in benches made to follow the curve of the stairs and I will have colourful upholstered cushions made for them. In other words, I would keep the sight lines very clean and add function (in my case, entry seating).
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    vor 9 Jahren
    Robinglazier's suggestion is great - with the round rug and the half moon tables, they would really compliment the shape of your staircases. It's such a beautiful space!! I also think adding a staggered chandelier would really add something to the space. We've custom-made chandeliers for many spaces like this. Here's a few of our favorites:
  • Patrica Montazeri
    vor 9 Jahren
    Beautiful...I would remove the photos and replace with sconces. Remove the rug and replace with one that extends the whole length of the entry. Put a curved table on one side with a piece of art made from glass or other... What pleases your eye. As for the other side a curved bench with fabric...to your liking. Add a tall painting , again what pleases your eye. I would put a simple chandlier too, to match the sconces. I like the chandeliers from the above post by Shakuff. You could make this a mini art gallery by adding additional paintings up the starcase walls.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    vor 9 Jahren
    I agree, the space already has a lot going for it. You don't need to add too much to the space. Its elegant as it is.
  • Suellensilver Silver
    vor 9 Jahren
    I think all you need is some fabulous wallpaper on the curved walls and a crystal chandelier.
  • PRO
    Custom Slipcover & Upholstery
    vor 9 Jahren
    small curved bench style seating in the alcoves highlighted by some wall art or plant life
  • Susan
    vor 9 Jahren
    Thos. Baker, Not Mt. Rainier, but you are close. Mt. Baker, which is close to Bellingham, WA. My son took this photo when we were coming in from sailing, as the sun was setting, and the mountain was glowing. Baker is not as large as Rainier, but it is an active volcano, although it's been a while since I have seen it steam.

As I was reading the other ideas on here. I really like the idea of a beautiful chandelier, and a round area rug. The first rounded settee in the second row would look nice, but I wouldn't do too much, as the staircase is your star. Your foyer is beautiful, and accomplishes what you usually want...makes you want to move forward and see more. It is also a nice space to say goodbye to your guests when they leave.

I agree with the suggestion to remove the two small art pieces in the photo. The staircase, and a beautiful chandelier should be your art. I didn't understand the suggestion to take out one of staircases. Your home is beautiful.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    vor 9 Jahren
    Hi racheld13, Marie here.
    I'd spend my money on two things:
    1). a big beautiful chandelier hanging in the centre and,
    2). adding either applique with wallpaper insert, or adding drama with better paint colour.
    Sometimes these areas are way over thought, and the more thoughtful, simpler solution is best. Go with the big chandelier, then - if you still feel you need more bang for your buck - add the applique. An area rug would be a hindrance for passageway through the stairwell, so I'd opt to not add one, especially since you have a change in flooring all ready - which is already making the space feel very small. Good Luck with your project.!
  • Francine Tessier
    vor 9 Jahren
    Am I the only one who feels claustrophobic looking at the picture and would elect to completely remove one of the two staircases...the space just seems too small for two grand staircases.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    vor 9 Jahren
    Well I guess she can't knock down the stairs soooo
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    vor 9 Jahren
    Hi Susan -- Thanks. I see...(now that I clicked on the photo), that it's Mt. Baker, not Mt. Rainier. I was born and raised in the great Pacific Northwest. Am far from home right now, but I love (and miss) our majestic, rugged mountains!

Francine -- I can see why others are saying the entry is small, but in a unique way, the staircases are a mini-version of a grand, palatial entry and that's interesting. It's an individual perspective.

The cost of removing one of the staircases would be extensive and the OP didn't post to ask us if we thought she should do that. She posted asking for decorating ideas for the circular entry. As professionals, we should honor that and not make an issue out of something the owner of the home may love or may not be in a financial position to alter.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • senab
    vor 9 Jahren
    I guess I am the only one who feels for such a small space dual staircases is overpowering, although beautiful. My instinct would be to tear out one of the staircases and have seating area or bar installed. Its super lovely but too much of anything makes it less. My humble opinion.
  • senab
    vor 9 Jahren
    oh I see others already gave this opinion. Sorry
  • dooders1981
    vor 9 Jahren
    Don't tear anything out! This house has beautiful finish work. For goodness sake 75% of people on earth have nothing but a shack. Why destroy this new, perfectly crafted staircase. I love the simplicity and the open view to your living area. I think it needs nothing more. I suspect you never use the front door for your personal, family entry so I don't think it needs a table for keys etc. Love it the way it is, open and quite lovely.
  • km kane
    vor 9 Jahren
    It's busy as is. Adding pedestals and vases would add vertical visual clutter. I might try some small artwork on the walls on either side of the entry to the room
  • km kane
    vor 9 Jahren
    It's busy as is. Adding pedestals and vases would add vertical visual clutter. I might try some small artwork on the walls on either side of the doorway in order to focus the eyes away from all the balusters
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.