Houzz Logo Print
antoinetteok

What is the correct way to paint around tiles?

vor 6 Jahren

I have tiled my bathroom to 1200mm around walls and now want to paint but not sure whether the paint should be above grout line or below. Some people have told me to paint over the grout and the edge of the tile but I didn't think that would look right. Would appreciate some advice.

Kommentare (9)

• PRO
    vor 6 Jahren

Do you have a tile edge, or is it just tiles then wall?

Personally I'd add a tile edge, even if it's glued. Paint wall to tiles, then glue on a nice metallic strip. They're supposed to be installed as the last tile is being installed, but I'm sure you can get something with the same look.

Tyy www.homedepot.com

antoinetteok hat Flooring Vision gedankt
  • PRO
    vor 6 Jahren

Try not tyy.....

• vor 6 Jahren

I don't have a tile edge just tiles, wall with grout between. Not sure if I want to have a metallic strip on there. Thanks for your response

• vor 6 Jahren

It isn't too late to add a small 'pencil' tile along the top. It doesn't need to be a metal strip. The finishing tile doesn't need to be big or imposing either. I think the trick with doing dado tiling to 1200mm is really finishing it off properly at the top, else it runs the risk of looking cheap as robandlyn suggests.

antoinetteok hat User gedankt
  • PRO
    vor 6 Jahren

google some images to get what mel n, robandlyn and myself are talking about

antoinetteok hat Flooring Vision gedankt
  • vor 6 Jahren

As said above the metal strip is generally installed during the tiling. I just could not sway my hubby to go with a capping tile in our budget ensuite reno, but in hindsight he agrees we should have.... Anyway, I decided to tape the tiles and paint over the grout as with the darker paint colour it helps it recede. The grout line isn't too noticeable from a distance thankfully, but here is a close up which might help you decide what to do

antoinetteok hat scottevie gedankt
  • vor 6 Jahren
    @scottevie has done a very nice job. I would have said not paint the grout it will look a on the cheap makeover but Vecbeen swayed by a good job. My preference would be no paint on the grout but if you do as good job it'll look ok. If it suits your look and budget I would vote for a capping tile as best of all.
    antoinetteok hat bigreader gedankt
  • PRO
    vor 6 Jahren

I have always asked my guys to paint only the top edge of the tile and wipe the face clean with a rag so none of the paint is left on the face or grout. Painting the top of the tile helps to further seal the gap between the wall and tile, making it easier to clean and less likely to provide crevices for bugs and germs to dwell. www.odysseystudios.com.au

antoinetteok hat Odyssey Studios gedankt
Deutschland
Mein Benutzererlebnis mit Cookies anpassen

Houzz nutzt Cookies und ähnliche Technologien, um Ihre Benutzererfahrung zu personalisieren, Ihnen relevante Inhalte bereitzustellen und die Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu verbessern. Indem Sie auf „Annehmen“ klicken, stimmen Sie dem zu. Erfahren Sie hierzu mehr in der Houzz Cookie-Richtlinie. Sie können nicht notwendige Cookies über „Alle ablehnen“ oder „Einstellungen verwalten“ ablehnen.